[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - HOLY SHIT! SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOLY SHIT! SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:32 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Last edited by robertduffy on Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:32 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:53 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I'd like to point out that it's still snowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:56 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

This is so cute I could murder the dog and the person:

Mark Ferguson gets help with the snow shoveling from canine Max in front of their home in Columbus, Ohio, Sunday, Feb. 16, 2003. Heavy snow fell across the Ohio Valley and into the mid-Atlantic states Sunday. (AP Photo/Mike Elicson)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm 
Godzilla

I love it. they cancelled classes at OU tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:13 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

okay.... i can work home tomorrow instead of driving, so, uhhh, maybe i love the snow after all.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:37 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: yo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:03 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject: Re: yo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:11 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:07 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Ohio State University classes cancelled tomorrow, the first time since 1978.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:26 am 
Jet Jaguar

Robert, did you check Garnet out at Ruby's songwriter night? what did you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:28 am 
Godzilla

in approximately 45 minutes, denovo will have pie. rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:37 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:14 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Snowstorm buries Ohio
Drifts, power outages plague region; street parking banned

A heavy weekend snowstorm that is expected to taper off this morning has left power outages, traffic jams and stranded motorists in its wake.

Up to 15 inches will have fallen in the Columbus area before the storm dissipates, according to AccuWeather. Flurries could continue through this morning, but further accumulation will be minimal, it said.

Parking along Downtown streets is prohibited today so that Columbus snowplows can clear the roadways, said Mary Webster, assistant director of the city's Public Service Department. Parking will resume with Tuesday's morning rush hour, she said.

Classes at Ohio State University's Columbus campus and at Ohio University in Athens are canceled today. Most elementary and secondary schools around Ohio are closed today for Presidents Day.

Some southern Ohio counties did not receive as much snow, but snowdrifts and downed power lines caused hardships yesterday. More than 30,000 customers along the Ohio River were without power.

Sheriffs in 20 counties along the I-70 corridor and in southern Ohio -- including Athens, Fairfield, Fayette, Hocking, Meigs, Perry, Pike and Vinton -- declared Level 3 snow emergencies, prohibiting travel on all roads.

The weekend snowfall appears to be the worst in central Ohio since January 1996, according to the National Weather Service.

In Franklin County, salt trucks and snowplows focused on major roadways. Side streets won't be treated before this morning, Webster said. "It's not easy to clear streets when it continues to snow.''

Today's no-parking area is bounded by Goodale Street, 4th Street, Livingston Avenue and the Scioto River.

"We understand this is an inconvenience to businesses,'' Webster said. "But we have to get the cars off the streets so we can plow. This is the only alternative.''

Because of the weather, Rumpke will not pick up trash in Franklin and surrounding counties today. No collection was scheduled for Columbus because of the holiday.

Southern Ohio counties reeled under snow and freezing rain that brought down trees. Some falling limbs snapped power lines.

About 32,000 customers from Portsmouth to Point Pleasant along the Ohio River were without power.

Those included 11,000 in Portsmouth, 7,000 in the Ironton area and 12,000 in Point Pleasant, said a spokesman for American Electric Power.

Extra crews were summoned to help make repairs, but it likely will be Tuesday before power is completely restored, he said.

"There's nothing but solid ice. There's lines down everywhere and they keep falling one after another,'' a Portsmouth police officer said.

South of Columbus, winds gusted to more than 30 mph, creating near-whiteout conditions and waist-high drifts on rural roads.

Motorists could be ticketed for misconduct for driving during a Level 3 snow emergency, though sheriffs' offices reported issuing no tickets.

"People are staying in, thank God,'' said a sheriff's dispatcher in snow-socked Perry County southeast of Columbus.

Four- to 6-foot snowdrifts were reported in parts of Fairfield County. Fairfield Medical Center in Lancaster canceled elective surgeries scheduled for today.

Fourteen plow crews were fighting to keep roads open in parts of Fairfield County, where the National Weather Service reported more than a foot of snow.

"It's a never-ending job,'' said Larry Sheppard, safety director for the county engineer's office. "We're not getting anything really cleared because the snow won't stop. And the wind piles up drifts where you just plowed.''

Six-foot drifts blocked Sandhill Road in Amanda until a plow blasted its way through, and 3-foot drifts covered Election House Road, according to the Fairfield County Sheriff's Office.

"We had two people knock on our door whose cars got stuck,'' said Lowell Miller, who lives on Sandhill Road. "They just plowed it, but it won't be open long. The drifts along the fences are 3 to 4 feet deep.''

Several restaurants in Lancaster closed, the sheriff's office said.

Pizza shops told delivery drivers to park their cars because of fears they could be ticketed.

"We decided it was best for our drivers, particularly if they could get a ticket. We shut off deliveries about 2:30 (p.m.). Besides, it's pretty nasty out there,'' said J.P. Seesholtz,, manager of Donato's on E. Main Street in Lancaster.

Pizza delivery drivers are not considered emergency workers or essential personnel -- the only ones permitted access to rural roads.

"Pizza shops that have called and asked, we've told them that if they are on the road doing deliveries, there is a possibility of receiving a ticket,'' said Mel Meloy, communications supervisor for the sheriff's office.

But some folks gloried in the harsh weather.

Plenty of people made it to Galyan's at Easton Town Center to buy boots, sleds and ski equipment.

"I want to play in the snow,'' said Noel Hayes, who bought a pair of snow boots.

Hayes, 37, of Gahanna, planned to frolic near a creek behind her apartment with her husband and three of their dogs.

"Some people cringe in the snow, but I love it,'' she said. "I'm from New Jersey, so I'm used to it.''

Some video-rental stores also reported brisk business

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:57 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Here's a photo I took of my car this morning:

Will it ever drive again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:07 pm 
Godzilla

BLIZZARD WATCH '03

As of 2:06 p.m. Monday afternoon, the snow is still falling super heavy in Zanesville. Still under a Level 3. The county has given up on trying to clean off the roads. My parents had the sidewalk cleared at 1:45...already it's white again.

Everyone got their snow supplies???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:09 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:51 pm 
Snarf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:56 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:08 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

As long as everyone can cut out that Mister bit, we'll all be alright.

In other news: the snow has begun to fall again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:29 pm 
Godzilla

Snowing in Athens again.

Great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:05 pm 
King Ghidorah

hey Mr. Duffy,
um...
i don't have anything to say. i just wanted to call you "Mister."

Post subject: