[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Donewaiting.com Launch Party

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Donewaiting.com Launch Party
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:01 pm 
Godzilla

Okay, first things first. Yes, I am Mr. Duffy's girlfriend. So I may be a little biased when it comes to this site. But then again, a lot of people who come to this site know Mr. Duffy in some way, shape or form, so they may also be a little biased.

But I don't think my bias has anything to do with what a huge success the donewaiting.com launch party was. The number of attendees hovered somewhere around 300. Little Brother's was packed. And the music, well, the music was incredible.

Starting off the show was Ken Gould. Wow. This set completely blew me away. I have a CD with Ken's demos on it, but hearing all the songs live was another story. Ken's voice is incredible, and with Little Brother's great acoustics, it carried over well. Ken made quite an impression on the audience, as well as the other bands in attendance.

Second up was Stardrop. I'd heard Stardrop's CD but never seen them live. They were also incredible. They called people from the bar to the stage and enticed them to start bobbing their heads in time with the music. By the time they were finished, people were crowding around the stage. And all the while, MORE people were filling in the door.

Miranda Sound played next, and their energy was something else. They rocked out on the very first song and got the audience screaming and 'wooooooo!' ing after every song. Toward the end of their set, Dan broke a string on his guitar - a very necessary string. As he hurriedly grabbed up another guitar, the band covered for him - Billy added another verse to the song which started off with "Every time we play a show/Dan breaks something" and ended with "But that's okay/because he's so talented." The audience loved it. And after playing their last song, they were informed that they had three more minutes to play. The audience went wild.

Manda & the Marbles finished off the set - another band I had never seen. Flashbulbs were popping like crazy as the power trio played, heavy bass lines thumping in the ears of the attendees. They sent the crowd home with buzzing eardrums.

So, all told, the event was a success. It was a loud, raccous, late night that I wish could have kept going. I can't wait for the next one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:12 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Thanks A. :lol:

Here's what I wrote: http://www.donewaiting.com/archives/2003_02.php#000434

I'm not gonna repost it since it's already appeared in both the newsletter and the main page.

Needless to say, I'm one happy camper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:07 am 
Snarf

Post subject: Lil' Bros.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:26 am 
Mothra

Post subject: donewaiting.com launch party
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:16 pm 
Snarf

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:21 pm 
Snarf

Post subject: And one more thing!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:41 pm 
Snarf

Post subject: donewaiting.com launch party
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:16 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I, too, had a great time at the launch party. I think we all owe a big thank you to Mr. Duffy for assembling a kick-ass lineup. Duffy, I could kiss you!

But I won't since you've got a girlfriend.

minimott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:37 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Minimott:

The Honey's. Friday night. Music Factory. Come and bang your head among good friends like Mr.Reno.

-Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:07 am 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:52 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: Thank you, Mr. Duffy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:40 pm 
Snarf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:42 pm 
Mothra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:18 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Reading everyone's replies makes me want to spill the beans about the next live event.

Oh man oh man.

But I can't just yet, still some details.....

Post subject: You can relax now, Duffy. It was a great show...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:24 am 
Mothra

Since I was part of the lineup, I'm probably more biased than Areila...but crikey...what a fantastic show. As with Duffy, these were some of my favorite local bands as well. I saw (OK, played bass in) the only other SECRET outing by Ken Gould, so it was a cool juxtaposition to be on the receiving end of such familiar...and still catchy...songs. Can't wait for the CD. This was only about the bazillionth time I've seen Miranda Sound, and they're better than ever. I envy your airtight show, Mirandas! And your latest disc has been humming along in my CD player at 360 rpm since Saturday. As for Manda and her Marbles, they epitomize rock 'n' roll. If I had a national music publication, I think I'd wanna name-drop them, too (but seriously - would it have killed them to include a photo?!).

We're awfully lucky to have a Duffy in our little music community. And the even more exciting part is that it's really just beginning. I know there are still many tricks up his optomistic scenester-sleeve. For those in attendance on Saturday, practice saying it now: "I was at the FIRST donewaiting.com show. Way before it turned into a reality TV show on the WB!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:12 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Sabo, you attacked the bass like frickin' Entwistle. In his current state of course.

I got some really good shots of you cats Saturday night - but none with Tom sans cap . . . is it just like Kiss and the make-up? Only the backstage ladies are allowed to see him out of uniform?

By the way, that's going to be my new MO at your shows - order 15 drinks, line them up at your feet and then berate you the whole show. Perhaps I'll even quote DH Lawrence as you play.

Post subject: Photos
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:59 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

You're welcome to head on over here to see live photos of the event: http://www.donewaiting.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7