[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Top Four of 2002

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top Four of 2002
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:44 pm 
Godzilla

Okay, I'm not sure that this is the best place to put this, but it is album discussion.

Without further ado, my top 4 albums of 2002. Why only 4? Because I couldn't think of a 5th. Feel free to fill in your own.

4. Ben Folds <i> Ben Folds Live </i>

I'm a big fan of the live music experience. There are precious few bands that I like more on CD than in concert. So I jumped at the chance to buy this CD (complete with complimentary free DVD) when it came out this fall. After one listen, I was hooked. Having seen Ben Folds in concert last year at the Newport in Columbus, I felt like I was listening in on a private show, and I could clearly see Ben jumping around in my mind's eye. Listen up to the track titled "Rock this Bitch" and get to know why Ben Folds is my generation's Billy Joel...and I mean that in a good way.

3. Pretty Mighty Mighty <i> Normal EP </i>

Oh, the irony of the EP. Especially this EP. On one hand, it's 7 tracks of some of the best indie music I have ever heard. On the other hand, it's 7 tracks of the best indie music I've ever heard...only 7. Every time the CD comes to an end, I want it to keep going. I bought this CD mostly under the peer pressure of the members of Miranda Sound, but also because I felt that if I wanted to call myself a fan of the Columbus music scene, then I sure as hell better buy a record by one of the pioneers. So I bought it. And I listened to it. And I couldn't stop. Songs like "Sleepless" and "Still Fucked" get inside your head and make your brain rattle around while Noel Sayre saws away at his violin and Jon Chinn croons (yes, croons, but not in a Frank Sinatra way) out those lyrics that wrap you up in a warm blanket of talent. This is the kind of experience that all music should bring.

2. Wilco <i> Yankee Hotel Foxtrot/Yankee Motel Foxtrot</i>

So I'd heard of Wilco before this year. Not just the name, but the music too. And I liked it. But this year, I was given two of the best gifts ever. First was <i>Yankee Motel Foxtrot</i> the demos that would become <i>Yankee Hotel Foxtrot</i>. I was blown away by the power in the simplicity of the lyrics. I could listen to "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" all day every day, and think I was hearing a completely different song each time. After the demos came the 'real thing,' in the form of <i>Hotel</i>. And I have to make a confession. Out of the three CD's I got for Christmas (Wilco, Coldplay, and the new Jeff Buckley <i>Grace EPs</i>), I've only listened to Wilco. I can't help it. The CD has taken over my life, and I was quite happy to hand it over.

1. Miranda Sound <i>Engaged in Labor</i>

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but dammit, I'm going for it. Friendships aside, I personally believe that this is the best CD I've heard in a really long time. I've known the band for a little over a year now, and I've seen <i>Engaged in Labor</i> go from its embryonic stages to its glorious birth (no pun on the album title intended). The songs on this CD reach out and speak to people. I could rattle off what I get out of each song, but I don't want to impose my interpretations on people who haven't heard the album. You need to hear this album. You need to experience the best music has to offer, a sweet rocking sound with indie sensibilities. I dare you to listen to "Midas," "Jefferson Proving Ground" or "Virginia Creeper" and not bob your head in time with what you're hearing. Trust me on this one.

Well, that's it for 2002. Let's welcome 2003 and see what music has in store for us...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:42 am 
Mothra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:44 am 
Mothra

Post subject: where can you find Yankee Motel Foxtrot ???
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:59 am 
Snarf

Post subject: Re: where can you find Yankee Motel Foxtrot ???
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:11 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: 2003 list already has one CD on it
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:04 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: tops of 2k2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:46 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

My major problem is, I buy probably 90% of the things I buy at Used Kids, meaning most of the stuff I'm purchasing to was most likely released in about '96 or something. However, my favorite 2002 albums were, in no particular order, the Flaming Lips' Yoshimi..., Skeleton Key's Obtainium, Trail of Dead's Source Tags & Codes, and for a little local flavor, Silencio's self-titled EP. I'm sure there are more, but this is what I can think of off of the top of my head.

What are your least favorite albums of 2002? I might have to vote for Maladroit, because it makes me want to strangle Rivers Cuomo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:56 pm 
Godzilla

I actually enjoyed <i> Maladroit</i>, but then again, I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of it.

I actually don't have any least favorite albums, but there were a lot of artists that I wished would drop off the face of the planet after the stuff they did this year; Justin Timberlake's solo stuff, J-Lo's whining, Eminem's so-called turnaround. I'm just glad there's an indie explosion in the works with the growing populuarity of The White Stripes, Jimmy Eat World, The Juliana Theory and others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:23 pm 
Snarf

The only 2002 release I liked was Underworld's Hundred Days Off.
And Bjork's Vespertine, although it was a late Dec 2001 release

Post subject: Top 20
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:30 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Here is a link to my Favorite 20 CDs of 2002.
http://www.swizzle-stick.com/bestof2003 ... night.html

My top 4 are:

1. The Damnwells – PMR+1
Because they aren't influenced by early '80s punk or late '70s new wave, this is one New York City band that hasn't caught the attention of the worldwide press. No worries though because accolades will come soon enough. Granted, The Damnwells haven't reinvented the wheel -- the rural pop sounds that the band has created on this "poor man's record" is similar to Wilco, the Wallflowers, the Gin Blossoms, and later-day Goo Goo Dolls, but the thing that sets them apart are the wonderful heart-on-the-sleeve vocals of Alex Dezen. It's a surprise that his "I never kissed a boy, but I've hit a girl" lyric on "H.C.E." hasn't been quoted more often. "Sleepsinging" is the standout on this seven-song soon-to-be-classic. Keep your eyes and ears open for these guys in '03.

2. The Honey’s – Shoot from the Hip
Local (Columbus, Ohio) band that is heavily influenced by late '80s ROCK. If The Donnas were influenced more by Motley Crue than The Ramones, they'd sound like The Honey's. (If this sounds interesting, let me know. They've given me a handful of copies of the CD to sell for $8).

3. Sullen – Paint the Moon
If Kurt and Courtney had started dating and formed a rock band BEFORE signing major label deals, this is what they would have sounded like. Also for fans of Verbena and Local H. You haven't heard of this trio yet but insiders tell me that they are being courted by a few major labels. Remember ... you heard it here first.

4. ON – Make Believe
I stumbled upon this CD on CDBaby.com at the beginning of December and added it to my "Best of" list after hearing the first four songs. It gets better and better with each listen. I've always been a fan of the work Ken Andrews has done (whether it be in Failure, ON, or Year of the Rabbit).

-Chip

Post subject: Re: Top 20
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:07 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

My top 4:

1. Wilco, "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"

The history of this album is as important as the music itself. Big rock and roll label says it sucks, drops Wilco. Wilco resigns with new label (owned by same giant corporation as first label, ha ha, ha ha), releases album and it goes on to crack the Billboard top 20, the highest debut ever for the band.

Oh right, and then there's the record itself, a rock album of beauty, of love, of energy. It's one of the few albums that after you listen to a few times, you realize that this record is Important. This record Means Something. With each release, Wilco redefines their sound, evolving into something bigger than all of us.

2. Eminem, "The Eminem Show"

I always bore my friends with my Eminem/Neo from "The Matrix" comparison. Neo (Keanu's character), by the end of the film, finally can see The Matrix around him and reworks it to his benefit. That's how I feel about Eminem. Em takes lyrics, beats and melodies and puts them together like no one before him. It's like he has an understanding of hip-hop that few before him ever did. And he put it together again for one of the best records of the year.

Sure, after the success of "8 Mile" more people are starting to love him, but that's not the point. With remnants of Rage Against the Machine now towing the neu rock line (please com back Zach), Em is the only major musician challenging the political system, making jokes and asking questions that no one else in his league is doing. We need it.

3. Beck, "Sea Change"

True story: I went and fell in love about a month ago. It came out of nowhere, and it's been a great, amazing time. I still wake up in disbelief at how wonderful it's been. But there's been one interesting side effect that I didn't count on. Ever since meeting this woman, I can't bring myself to listen to "Sea Change." Before her, I played it almost daily, at least once. I've been trying to figure out why, and I think it's because the record is so perfectly sad, and right now I'm perfectly happy -- the two things just aren't mixing with me. Maybe one day I can put the headphones on and sit through the whole album, but not now. This doesn't take away from my love of the record; in fact, it only makes me like it more. Not much music out there has given me this big of an emotional reaction. My heart is heavy just thinking about it.

4. The Flaming Lips, "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"

I love sci-fi, comic books, and all things of the strange. So do The Flaming Lips. Cute Japanese girls fighting man eating pink robots. Can it get better than that? Rarely.

And the full list: http://www.donewaiting.com/20/

Post subject: top 5 of 2002
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:22 pm 
Mothra

#5: Idlewild - Remote Part
Perhaps not as strong as their debut but still there are many outstanding moments to be had on this album. Gone is a bit of the aggression but in its place is an improved sense of songwriting and direction.

#4: No Knife- Riot for Romance
As compared to previous releases this is the bands most refined. A bit more melody and a lot more consistency between songs is what makes this their finest moment.

#3: Sparta - Wiretap Scars
I have to admit when I first heard the early demos and ep for this band I was disappointed. Maybe the expectations were just too high or perhaps the band just needed a few more months to find their sound. However all of that changed when I heard “Cut Your Ribbon” the explosive first single off of Wiretap Scars. The rest of the album didn’t disappoint, as the band was able to expand and build on what At The Drive In had started.

#2: Pretty Girls Make Graves - Good Health
I stumbled on this band on Epitonic and was immediately drawn in the by the incredible guitar parts. Panned left and right the two guitarists are able to create rhythm by bouncing notes in and out of each other. Combine that with a creative drummer and the vocals of Andrea Zollo and you have a band that is truly dynamic.

#1: Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
If you were to describe this bands sound to me before I had a chance to hear it I probably would never given it a chance. Dismemberment Plan, The Doors, and REM come to mind but the weird thing is that I am not overly fond of any of those bands but for some reason this CD connected with me. The songs range from angular pop to melodic art rock, held together by an incredibly tight rhythm section and the quirky vocals of Paul Banks. Like all great records the more you listen to this the more you discover.

Song of the Year

"Obstacle #1" - Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
This song is the perfect example in how critical a creative rhythm section is to a band. The Drummer and bassist continually keep reinventing their parts as the song unfolds and develops. As a bonus the song features my favorite lyric of the year, “but it’s different now that I’m poor and aging I’ll never see this face again you'll go stabbing yourself in the neck “.

Show of the Year

Miranda Sound – March 26, 2002 - The Continental NYC
It’s no secret we’ve known these guys forever. We’ve had the pleasure to see them grow and mature into an undeniably fantastic live band. This fact became perfectly clear after spending a week on the road with them. The night that stands out to me was the NYC date where I watched them hold a room of friends, family, strangers and skeptics in the palm of their hand. I’ve been envious ever since.

Post subject: Re: top 5 of 2002
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:52 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: Idlewild/Sparta
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:02 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: idlewild
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:08 pm 
Mothra

Post subject: Idlewild
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:43 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject: top rekkids of 2002
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:14 pm 
Snarf

in no particular order...

The Warlocks "Phoenix Album" -- What we have here is 4 guitarists, two drummers, a bassist, strobelights, fog machines, and a keyboardists. Its loud, heavy, beautiful, sad, psychedelic, and sinister. Probablly the best band out of LA at the moment, see them if and when you can. kinda like a cross between the Velvet Underground, Can, Hawkwind, The Rolling Stones.
http://www.thewarlocks.com

Liars "They threw us all in a trench..." Holy shit, the 80's are back with a vengance!!!! Loud bass, tinny guitar, hand claps, electro beats, and a crazed lead singer. Great stuff, Straight outta NYC. http://www.liarsliarsliars.com/

Interpol "Turn on the bright light" Sure, they really sound like Joy Divison meets The Church meets the Chameleons UK (sp?), and their lyrics are really stupid, but their music is really really good. Makes me want to wear all black, smoke cloves, and brood.
http://www.matadorrecords.com/interpol/

The Soundtrack of our lives "Behind the music" These guys from Sweden are completely fried... Imagine a realy good drugged out Oasis, without all the pompus bullshit, throw in glamrock guitars, driving rythyms, analog keyboards, and a singer who looks like a lumberjack, and you have one really great band. Best band out of Sweden, hands down.
http://www.thesoundtrackofourlives.net/index_flash.html

Yeah Yeah Yeahs's "EP" Nice! This stuff just hits you over the head, I had the chance to catch them live. Karen O has so much energy, its fucking sick!
http://www.yeahyeahyeahs.com/

Beck "Sea Change" I like to call this my favorite late night seduction record so... Beck's "Sea Change", is what I would like to call my late night seduction record. Its mellow, sad, and trippy. Come on, you know he is the most important songwriter around at the moment, give in.
http://www.beck.com

Dead Meadow "Got live if you want it" DC's premier stoner metal band puts out a live one on Anton Newcombe's Commite to keep music evil label. Good stuff.. Cream, Hendrix, and Spiritualized, playing Dungeons and Dragons and taking bong loads, no shit...
http://www.deadmeadow.com

Queens of the Stoneage "Songs for the Deaf" Wow, its like, real rock music, with out clown costumes or a singer who was abused by their parents, or any of that Mallrat angst. Holy shit, Dave Grohl plays drums on it too!!! Get this fucking record, ok?
http://www.QOTSA.com

Sleater Kinney "One Beat" Great record, hands down. Tighter and more focused than their previous releases, they even add a bit of that garage rock, 60's keyboard sounding stuff into the mix. Thank you Ladies, your new record is great!
http://www.killrockstars.com

The Mars Volta "Tremulant EP" those two guys with the afros from At the dive in get tired of Emo, and bust out with some crazy psychedelc jazz rock salsa fucked up art damaged noise..brilliant.
http://www.goldstandardlabs.com/marsvol ... volta.html

And you will know us by the trail of dead "Source tags and codes" What if The Who, came from Austin TX, and decided well, we could take the sound of old U2, and make it completely rock? Trail of dead do just that and so much more.. An awesome record in every sense.
http://www.trailofdead.com

Cheers,

French Blues in my hand

Post subject: Re: top rekkids of 2002
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:18 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: the Damnwells
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:10 pm 
King Ghidorah

Post subject: Re: Idlewild
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:51 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Speaking of Idlewind:

<blockquote>Scottish rock quintet Idlewild's third album, "The Remote Part," will finally be released March 25 in North America by Capitol. The set, which was released last July in the U.K. and debuted at No. 3 on the U.K. album chart, is the follow-up to 2001's "100 Broken Windows," which was not released in North America. Capitol's release of "The Remote Part" will include a link to a secure Web site featuring exclusive videos, B-sides, and downloads.</blockquote>

Post subject: Re: the Damnwells
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:42 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:45 pm 
King Ghidorah

i'm talking about a different Emily, but yeah, this just reminds me again of how small the music world is. there are so many connections to be made.

i agree with you. the Damnwells have great support, and seem to be doing things in a very good way. and they've been busy and successful at it.

funny: my friend, Emily, just told me about the "Just Married" gig yesterday. as well as their upcoming tour with Cheap Trick. very exciting news.

some of my favorites of 2002:
Songs: Ohia - Didn't it Rain
goddamn crying pain and love

The Fucking Champs - V
not as good as IV, but what is?

Chris Lee - Plays & Sings Torch'd Songs, Charivari Hymns & Oriki Blue-Marches
nothing better than white soul. except for black soul. but, hey.

Andrew W.K. - I Get Wet
yeah, that's right.

Sonic Youth - Murray Street
"Rain on Tin" is as beautiful as anything they've ever done. that chick who wrote that Village Voice review: patooey, i spit on her.

Post subject: Top Four of 2002
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:07 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Can't pick only 4.....and a few of these probably came out in 2001.

My favorite records of 2002 in no particular order:
New Bomb Turks - The Night Before The Day The Earth Stood Still
The Fleshtones - Solid Gold Sound (maybe this come out in 2001? Who cares it's great.)
The Jeffs - Live At Bernie's
Frank Black - both Devil's Workshop and Black Letter Days
Crimson Sweet - Livin' In Strut
Black Cat Music - Hands In The Estuary Torso In The Lake (I also suspect this one came out in 2001 but I don't really care)
Death In Graceland - Come On, Touch Me
The Diverters - Stay The Course
The Hellacopters - High Visibility
Paul Westerberg - Mono (but not stereo)
The Chicken Hawks - Hard Hitting Songs For Hard Hit People

And I would also like to say that my bootleg unmixed copy of the Rancid Yak Butter Tea Party's new album is fucking phenomenal and had they released it in 2002 it would've been at the top of my list.

Best live bands I saw in 2002-
Electric Eel Shock
The Jeffs
The Nurses
The Briefs
The Warlocks
Kill The Hippies
New Bomb Turks
Rancid Yak Butter Tea Party
Black Cat Music
The Immortal Lee County Killers

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:14 pm 
King Ghidorah

oh yeah! those Frank Black albums are AWEsome. i love the song "Fields of Marigold." that might have been my very favorite song of 2002. ahh.

Post subject: Re: Top Four of 2002
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:48 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff