blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: waiting in line to vote
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:53 am 
Godzilla

I got up at 6, hit the voting location at Schiller Park by 6:25 & was out by 8. An hour & a half & I think I got off easy. My office is completely deserted & I imagine no one will be showing up until around 10.

Anyone else think Nov. 2nd should be a national holiday? Daaaang.

Post subject: Re: waiting in line to vote
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:39 am 
Mechagodzilla

blammo wrote:

Absolutely; I think it originally was.

Post subject: Re: waiting in line to vote
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:26 pm 
Mothra

blammo wrote:
I got up at 6, hit the voting location at Schiller Park by 6:25 & was out by 8. An hour & a half & I think I got off easy. My office is completely deserted & I imagine no one will be showing up until around 10.

I experienced the same thing.

http://www.myspace.com/trapperjohnrock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:17 pm 
Jet Jaguar

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 021217&e=5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:45 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Ahhh crap -- posted in the wrong spot. Moved my comments here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:06 pm 
King Ghidorah

i just waited 3.5 hours to vote at my precinct, in clintonville.

the lines were longer when i went by at 7 a.m., so i went back at 11:15. drove to a bunch of precincts in between, and saw long lines almost everywhere...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:37 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Interesting "in line" story ...

The gentleman that got in line directly behind me at 6:45 this morning was one of the church officials at the church center where I voted. I got to hear him make small talk with the ladies that showed up right after him. He kept bragging about how their youth service on Sunday mornings was "rocking" and that the teens really enjoyed it. Mind you, this was a 60+ year old man with George Jones style hair.

So, anyway, the woman behind him apparently goes to this church because she seemed to know the George Jones looking guy. She says, "Am I getting this correct, I should vote 'yes' to issue one if I want to preserve the sanctity of a marriage between a man a woman?" To my surprise, George Jones says, "It's not about gay marriage but rather the rights of those that aren't married in the traditional sense. It gives rights and benefits to domestic partners." The woman was like, "Oh, I didn't realize that. I thought it had to do with whether or not gays could get married." I think George Jones might have opened up her mind a bit and perhaps she even voted NO to Issue 1. The scary thing is, there are probably a lot of people out there in the same boat as that woman who think that by voting for Issue 1 you are voting to ban gay marriage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:40 pm 
Godzilla

Your avatar is going cause a seizure, Chip :D

confuseddildo.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:17 pm 
Godzilla

I waited 2 hours and 20 minutes to vote. That's not the story here...

A cleancut older gentleman (I shouldn't even use that word) came up to the woman standing in front of me and they began chatting. I think they were neighbors. I had ceased all conversation with this woman early in our line experience after she asked me "Are you voting for Bush?" and I said "That's none of your business, but definitely no." She said, "of course you're voting for Kerry. You're young and stupid." Right. So I just ignored her.

However. This guy. He comes up. They're talking. I overhear him say "Fucking Democrats. They want to give all the jobs and money to poor people and black people."

I'm thinking "Oh my god. I am in hell." What are the chances that in my fairly liberal neighborhood I get to stand next to the loud, obnoxious, elitest and racist folks???

So, this man then has the nerve to put his hand on my shoulder and say "I'm sure this fine young lady wouldn't mind if I just cut in here."

Now I say "Yes. I do mind. As do all of the people waiting behind me. We've been here for more than an hour and it certainly wouldn't be fair to let you go ahead."

He says, "You're a fucking bitch. You must be a democrat."

(Can I just stop here for a minute and say, what the hell does being a democrat have to do with a) being a bitch or b) letting someone step in front of you?)

He then stalked out. And I had to stand in line next to poor-black people hating woman for the next hour. We ignored each other and thankfully she was off to the other side of the room for her precinct.

It wasn't a good experience. But it was quite the experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:22 pm 
Jet Jaguar

that's compassionate conservatism in action! beautiful!

i think conservatives' collective hang-over starts tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:34 pm 
Godzilla

I voted at Bollinger Tower- the hideous high rise on High Street across from the Coffee Table where the inscrutable elderly shuffle and perch.

Aces. Totally aces.

This guy in line behind us had some really messed up "teeth" and a Rick Rubin bushy beard. His shirt was worn so thin that you could trace the outline of his chest hair pattern. He also wore a Pink Floyd trucker hat. After two and a half hours in line we learned the following: He can't read. He rolls his own cigarettes made from cherry pipe tobacco. He has FIVE VCR's so that he does not miss any of his shows. He LOVES the movie Heavy Metal and tapes it "every time it's on". His budget "isn't too good". He is really confused about Issue One. He was denied a library card on the basis that he could not read.

We also met Peaches, a resident at Bollinger Tower. Peaches invited us to their annual Ball. She said that a COTA bus would pick up at Bollinger and take you to the Ball and back. She said they had beer & wine and a DJ. She said tickets are only $20 but you HAVE to buy them from her. Me thinks Peaches gets a kick-back from her ticket sales.

I hope that I never ever get sent to Bollinger Tower by my future ungrateful children.

Last edited by Kelly T@ylor on Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:40 pm 
Mechagodzilla

girl.e, I seriously don't know how you kept your composure under those circumstances. Kudos!!!! I feel very surly today so I may have bitch slapped the both of 'em. :twisted:

I voted at Grandview High School. Other than the over 90 minute wait, it was a pleasant experience. No one talked politics, just chit chat. The poll workers were pleasant and very helpful.

*unless your name is Angus Young

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:54 pm 
Godzilla

Trixie-

the passive aggresive, very sick and slightly feverish side of me did cough on her without covering my mouth everytime she turned her back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:55 pm 
Mechagodzilla

girl.e wrote:
Trixie-

the passive aggresive, very sick and slightly feverish side of me did cough on her without covering my mouth everytime she turned her back.

:D Bravo...

*unless your name is Angus Young

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:07 pm 
Godzilla

Kelly T@ylor wrote:
This guy in line behind us had some really messed up "teeth" and a Rick Rubin bushy beard. His shirt was worn so thin that you could trace the outline of his chest hair pattern. He also wore a Pink Floyd trucker hat. After two and a half hours in line we learned the following: He can't read. He rolls his own cigarettes made from cherry pipe tobacco. He has FIVE VCR's so that he does not miss any of his shows. He LOVES the movie Heavy Metal and tapes it "every time it's on". His budget "isn't too good". He is really confused about Issue One. He was denied a library card on the basis that he could not read.

that is totally awesome. i see my future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:08 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Grandview Trinity School. 2 hours at 2:45 in the afternoon! Everyone was really polite, someone even brought candy for everyone. Nobody talked politics and I got to read some second graders story on the wall about waking up in cotton candy land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:12 pm 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

mrschildren wrote:
I got to read some second graders story on the wall about waking up in cotton candy land.

I bet everything's all sticky in cotton candy land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:24 pm 
Godzilla

Cookie wrote:
mrschildren wrote:
I got to read some second graders story on the wall about waking up in cotton candy land.

I bet everything's all sticky in cotton candy land.

And twee. Don't forget twee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:29 pm 

Kelly T@ylor wrote:

No, I think that's Ireland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:58 pm 
Godzilla

I stumble into people, that were forming a line out the door. I looked around, seeing people of all ages and of genders. I saw a few "kids" that looked alittle too young for this. But, what they hell did I know, I was thinking I was drunk and most likely was. And still am. I was standing behind a larger man in a long robe, holding a sign that said something, but I couldn't read it because I forgot to put my contacts in and everything was really blurry and I was still drunk and as I had just said in the sentence above. I think he was wearing a mask too. The woman behind me was very ugly. I have no other adjective that could describe "her".

Everyone in the now very slowly moving line seemed very excited. I over heard someone say that they've been waiting for this for a long time and couldn't wait to see how everything turned out.

I nodded to my self, agreeing with that comment.

Lord Of the Rings was going to be a great movie. I could just feel it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:21 pm 
King Ghidorah

Cookie wrote:
Kelly T@ylor wrote:

No, I think that's Ireland.

Sorry, it's actually Scotland. Has been since the early 80s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:29 pm 
King Ghidorah

Trixie wrote:
girl.e, I seriously don't know how you kept your composure under those circumstances. Kudos!!!! I feel very surly today so I may have bitch slapped the both of 'em.

I second that theoretical bitch slap. I wish natural selection would just naturally select the fuck out those people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:35 pm 

theZeppo wrote:
Sorry, it's actually Scotland. Has been since the early 80s.

It was sort of a toss up, but I went with the land of leprachauns.

Tahee tahee tahee!