[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Scarlet and Grey Cafe?

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scarlet and Grey Cafe?
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:05 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I've never been there. I think a few of you have played there. Give me specifics (size, sound, etc.). Is it an all-ages or 18 and up place? Is it easy to book a show there? It's located very close to campus (on the North end), could this possible be THE club that we're looking for to start booking shows at? One thing is for certain, they need a website (and, hey, I'll even do it for them if they'll let us book a few shows there).

Comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:03 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Or ... how about the Northberg? I saw Soulcracker there a few years ago. The place probably holds 200 people comfortably. I'm not sure if it's all ages but it seems to be a cool club with a certain "feel" to it.

Both the Northberg and Scarlet and Grey Cafe are on campus. If they are both 18 and over or all ages, I saw we definitely try to book a show there to see how it goes. Through the "promotional" efforts of donewaiting, we should be able to pack either place.

Post subject: S & G
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:22 am 
Mechagodzilla

Scarlet and Gray Cafe: on the NW corner of Norwich & High. Drink prices are really expensive, sound isn't that great (but better than some clubs), venue set-up isn't ideal for shows from what I remember but I haven't been there in awhile, we are playing there next Friday so I'll comment again after that (the FLAG Benefit show).

My vote would be Red 16. Its already got a cool thing going, Ian Martin is into the shows/bands that we are trying to book, probably just doesn't have the means to handle guarantees so he has to work on a smaller do-it-yourself level, which is kinda where we would be starting out anyway too. And he has a good sound system and does a pretty darn good job at sound himself. He's got a minimal website started, but could probably use Atomic Ned's help. I'd talk to him before anybody. Can do both all ages & 21& up shows too. Set-backs: I think the max capacity is 150ish, but I couldn't be wrong.

my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:26 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Quite honestly, as the turnouts around town have proven, we're not going to be able to draw more than 150 people to most of the shows that we'd be interested in booking. That's fine by me. I mean, I don't think that Idlewild even pulled in 150 if that means anything.

I need to go to Red 16 sometime and check it out.

Post subject: yes
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:51 am 
Mechagodzilla

yes...definitely, their website is: http://www.red-16.com if you want to check on upcoming shows that might interest you. I know Tiara is playing there a few times in the near future. I think Ian would be the best person in town to work with (whether or not HE knows this) because he seems to be on the same level as we are...and would get what we are trying to do and be all for it...plus, its in a basement, its kinda got this "in-on-the-secret" vibe to it, we could call the donewaiting shows we book as "underground" shows and possibly get the OSU Radio station in on it too to help us promote on campus...let me know how else I can help. Ian's email is on the website I believe if you want to get a hold of him...

Post subject: possible
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:52 am 
Mothra

I think both of those venues have been traditionally hit and miss. it all depends on the bill, promotional efforts, and what else you're competing with. My observation is that the bands that have done really well there do a good job at creating a "social" atmosphere. The bands tend to be of the lite funk pop variety... you know something that you can talk over or is easy for white people to dance to while they are holding a Bacardi Silver. It's also the kind of music that attracts lots of 19 year girls from campus which in turn attracts lots of 21 year old boys. you know what I'm sayin?

Anyway the question might be is this venue going to work for harder rock bands? I'm sure OSU and the surrounding community is full of sub-23 year olds who are looking for hi energy and interesting ROCK music but they tend to be spread out (ie they don't have their own fraternity). So the bigger question is how do you get to those people and what venue is going to best facilitate that "scene".

We did a show at Red16 a couple of months ago with The Pits and a band called Small Planes....... the place was almost packed and it wasn't because of TS5 (although I wish). Here's two bands that are almost completely off the traditional columbus music radar yet they can get a ton of kids(average age was probably 16-22) to come watch them play a dank church basement with an awful PA. Perhaps the venue did play a role, lots of parents were dropping kids off so I'm sure the fact that it was in a church helped ease some worry. Also maybe because it was literally underground that it better suited the whole notion of the scene. Or maybe they could have cared less and they were just coming out to support their friends. This is just one small example shows like this happen all the time all over Columbus and Ohio's college towns. I think being able to answer some of these questions would be a step towards be able to pull off the kind of shows that I think we all want to put together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:22 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

To me, Scarlet and Grey and Northberg scream bar. Not music venue. It's my perception, having never been to either. But that's what I think.

Post subject: exactly
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:24 am 
Mothra

exactly my point in 3 less paragraphs. thank you

Post subject: yep
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:29 am 
Mechagodzilla

hey, does anyone have a phone number contact for Ian Martin at Red 16? I just got an email from a band called Communique (LookOut! Records) that wants to play with TLH and the show is coming up pretty darn soon and I've emailed him but afraid he doesn't check it that often...either post or PM me please if anyone does! thanks! -jess

http://www.radiocommunique.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:56 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I've only been to the Northberg once. I don't know what it's like on a "regular" night but the night that I was there, it was definitely a rock club and not just a bar. I have no idea if they'd let us book a show there. But, to me, the Pros are as follows:

* It's in the basement of Donato's. Therefore, people could stop by, get a pizza, eat dinner and then head downstairs. (I LOVE the idea of giving people something to do before/after the show.)

* There are pool tables in the back of the venue that don't distract from what's going on on stage at the time.

* It's bigger than I would have guessed -- I don't know capacity but I'd guess somewhere in the 100 to 200 range.

* It's right across the street from campus. Nobody really has to travel far to go to a show.

Duffy, maybe you and I should go on a "fact finding mission" some evening and check it out, see if we could book a show there, really do it up big time. I have a few ideas on how to make it an action packed night. I'll e-mail ya later.

Post subject: the berg
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:03 am 
Mothra

the berg was booking bands consistently a couple of years ago. We played there from time to time but it seems lately that I haven't heard of anyone playing there nor have I seen a listing for upcoming shows. I agree I like the the whole pizza shop aspect of it and the room is good enough. The PA situation was ever changing. the first couple time we played it was total bush league then they did a massive upgrade, not sure where it's at now.

it would definetly be worth trying... if they even still book bands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:07 am 
Jet Jaguar

I don't have Ian's phone # but here is his email: booking@red-16.com
He is a great guy to work with and I too think Red-16 is great. I was actually thinking about how that place would be perfect for an underground-rock-showcase- SERIES- while at the Holopaw show.
I think a good idea is to book four Friday or Saturday nights in a row, maybe in August- Book great bands of course, but it is the "Underground Showcase Series" (or whatever) that is the pull and they will know that good bands will be there. Four in a row is an idea I like b/c you can promote the hell out of it and judge for yourself increased attendance over the month.

Then it could be done every 3 or 4 months and I believe Red-16 and Ian would be all over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:36 am 
Jet Jaguar