[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - [Ohio] Jon Chinn solo CD release 5.12.04 Little Brother's

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: [Ohio] Jon Chinn solo CD release 5.12.04 Little Brother's
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:20 pm 
Godzilla

Maybe you have a bootleg copy. Maybe you don't. Maybe you love Pretty Mighty Mighty. Maybe you don't. Maybe you should come support one of Columbus' biggest music supporters. Maybe you should.

WEDNESDAY MAY 12th LITTLE BROTHER'S
REVERBOSE RECORDING ARTIST, JON CHINN'S "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU LIVE LIKE THAT" ***CD RELEASE***

:arrow: *This is a full length, music phans. It features guest musicians & vocalists such as Tiara, Caleb Bandy of Templeton, Dan Gerken & Billy Peake of Miranda Sound. Also, cover art by Kim Rottmayer of . This is a no guesswork album where Jon wears his heart on his sleeve. Just 10 clams.

:arrow: *The evening starts early (I'll let you know how early as soon as we ask) and includes the lineup of:

CHRIS FORBES (of Orchestraville)
TIARA
KOPAZ
&
JON CHINN

:arrow: *Da boyees: Tiara, Caleb, Dan & Billy will be on-hand to accompany Jon with their stellar stylings.

:arrow: *We're working on getting some Chinndian food catered in for savory delights.

:arrow: *The CD is also available at USED KIDS, MAGNOLIA THUNDERPUSSY or ONLINE @ or where you can also listen to songs from the release.

:arrow: *Come out NEXT WEDNESDAY and throw some props at the hardest working man in Columbus showbiz. Having a solo album has been a childhood dream of his and he worked very hard on it. I know you'll dig it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:31 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:48 pm 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:16 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:00 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

photographing music and the people who make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:46 am 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:00 pm 
Godzilla

Chinn Presses!!!

Locals Only
He lives like that

by Stephen Slaybaugh

When Jon Chinn’s I Can’t Believe You Live Like That (Reverbose Records) comes out this week, it’ll be the first time the Pretty Mighty Mighty singer/guitarist has stepped out on his own with a full-length release. Though he’s been making music with PMM since the early ’90s, the solo album is something he’s always wanted to do.

“When I started getting into music,” he explains, “I was really into people like Howard Jones and Bruce Springsteen—people who were known as solo artists. Since I was 16, I always wanted to have that kind of identity as a solo artist, but things were so much fun with a band that that was the direction I went for a long time. Now that we’ve been doing less as a band, I’ve had more time to do a single-minded approach to songwriting and music production.”

PMM hasn’t broken up. In fact, they’ve been recording songs for either a new EP or full-length. PMM drummer and Chinn’s partner at Workbook Studio, Neal Schmitt, mastered Chinn’s solo album and contributed drums on a track. Recording the record himself at Workbook, Chinn also called in a host of local talent to help: all of Tiara, Orchestraville’s Keith Hanlon, Miranda Sound’s Dan Gerken and Billy Peake, and Templeton’s Caleb Bandy.

“Everyone who was involved had suggestions here and there,” Chinn says. “So even though I was the final-say guy, it was nice to get some other input, whether I agreed with it or not. I played a song for [Sun drummer] Sam Brown, and he commented that I should just cut off the song before the last part. I tried it out and it was a better way to go. Unfortunately, it’s not in the credits, but I should credit him for that.”

The album has been in the works for several years, with Chinn recording whenever he and his collaborators could find the time. One track, “Lie to Me,” was recorded as long as five years ago. Chinn admits that recording himself presented the challenge of knowing when to stop.

“I just can’t help myself,” he laughs. “I keep fighting myself between the songwriting, the performance and the production value. The end result is pop or radio-style songs that were produced like B-sides, and B-sides that were produced like radio songs. It’s real hard to know when to stop.

“I’m always giving advice when I’m working with people in the studio that’s like, ‘This song would be good if you layered it up’ or, ‘This is cool because it’s so simple and stripped down.’ But I can never have that discussion with myself, so I’ll just throw a bunch of tracks down and see what works and take out what isn’t working. In the studio you can think, ‘A drum beat might be cool for this part’ and then play a drum beat. Then, since there’s no drummer per se, if it doesn’t work out, I just wipe that track out and no one’s feelings get hurt.”

However exhaustive his methods may be, Chinn’s produced a stunning collection of songs. While some (“Record Sets,” “All About”) are reminiscent of Pretty Mighty Mighty, he generally explores a softer side to his songwriting that he’s only revealed in glimpses in the past.

“King’s Horses,” which features Gerken on cello, is particularly captivating, a poignant hangover of a song. “Last Night” and “The Last Thing” are effervescent pop songs that belie a certain melancholy resolve. It’s an album that may overshadow his work with Pretty Mighty Mighty—or bode for an even brighter future for the band.

Jon Chinn will celebrate the release “I Can’t Believe You Live Like That” at Little Brother’s on Wednesday, May 12. Brian Moore, Brian Freshour, Dan Gerken and Caleb Bandy will serve as his backing band, while Tiara, Kopaz and Chris Forbes (of Orchestraville) round out the bill.

May 5, 2004

Copyright © 2004 Columbus Alive, Inc. All rights reserved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:07 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:32 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:42 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:10 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:13 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:25 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:18 am 
Godzilla

If you mean my propensity to correct people, dole out punishments & identify the flaws in others, then yes. That explains everything. :)
(He was an English & Journalism teacher and verry influential in my personality)

Okay, guys. It's ON! We've got CHINNDIAN FOOD lined up but you'll need to ride your scooters & hoopties over early to take advantage of the FREE FOOD. At 9PM, there will be a spread that includes:

Naan (bread)
Samoses (fried pockets of potatoes, peas & spices)
Tandoori Chicken (marinated in yogurt & herbs cooked in a clay oven)
Chicken Makhani Masala (marinated chicken in buttery tomato sauce)
Indian rice

(All from Sher-E-Punjab located at Kenny Sq Mall, Henderson & Kenny Rd. Big ups to Ram & the crew!!)

I hear tale that some T Shirts are in the works. The CD is still kick-ass and how can you resist JC, Chris Forbes, Tiara & Kopaz AND Chinndian Food? You can't. That's the answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:27 am 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:48 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:31 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:33 am 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:40 am 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:50 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:24 am 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:41 am 
Godzilla

Post subject: JC
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:04 pm 
Godzilla

Hey WWA: The album can certainly be a headphones record, but it doesn't need to be. I think that's the best kind. The interesting stuff is there if you want to hear it, but you don't need to hear it for the record to be interesting.

Similarly, B-Moore and B-Fresh from Tiara are laying down some arse-conquerin' rhythm parts on a bunch of the tracks at the live show on Wednesday at Little Bros.

And in case you were wondering, I just transcribed the lyrics for the record for personal use, and they're insightful and poignant and fabulously illustrative and great. All to be expected from JC, eh?

BTW: JC's record is available at Wednesday's show and online at http://www.reverbose.com and http://www.jonchinn.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:04 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next