[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - We Are Columbus Ohio "Ohio X Southwest"

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: We Are Columbus Ohio "Ohio X Southwest"
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:28 am 
King Ghidorah

If they name their compilation cd Smells Like Wonderland, I'll buy a copy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:38 pm 
Jet Jaguar

It's like you want to play quarterback for the Cleveland Browns so your plan is to drive up to a Browns game and throw a nerf football around in the parking lot hoping someone will notice.

The people that are actually in the Stadium at the real game won't even notice and you will probably have a good time drinking beers in the parking lot.

When you get back to Columbus you can tell everyone about how you played football near the Browns and think you saw some scouts watching you and it was time well spent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

They should get Lydia Loveless on this bill so that some more people would pay attention... #freeadvice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:51 pm 
Godzilla

fine, i'll play the damn show gig. but stop asking. but I need payment up front door.

but seriously folk.

phantoads are a soldids bands. the floorwalkers r a soldi band too.

i'kll five money to this thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:57 pm 
Snarf

While the browns football analogy is funny, it's very inaccurate. A more accurate analogy would be that it's like high school. The cool kids are throwing a big party at one of their parents mansions and didn't invite the uncool kids, so the uncool kids decided to throw their own party at the dilapidated house next door.

People are knocking the bands for their lack of talent, but talent is obviously overrated in the entertainment industry. Ambition gets people a lot further than talent and nepotism gets people a lot further than both talent and ambition. By starting their own unofficial showcase they are bypassing the gatekeepers and dickslapping nepotism in the face.

If the people putting this showcase on remain focused and don't give up, then I bet you in 3-5 years most columbus bands will want to be a part of it. By then I would hope they are savvy enough to bring on big sponsors so nobody has to pay to play.
It's only in its second year so its very premature to judge this unofficial showcase as a bad thing.

Just look at the Slamdance film festival. Everyone thought they were stupid for starting that in spite of Sundance and now look at it. It's one of the best film festivals in the world. So I would suggest the people putting on this "we are columbus" thing to look at Slamdance for inspiration.

Also, I can't believe anyone looks to the Alive for serious journalism. That paper is a turd floating in the toilet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:11 pm 
King Ghidorah

Better beer and hotter chicks at the cool kids' party. Just sayin'.

MindTwin, you see nothing wrong with this group asking other people to foot the bill for them?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:21 pm 
Snarf

I just checked the SXSW website and Unholy Two is not listed on it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:24 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:40 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:47 pm 
King Ghidorah

Never Forget.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:56 pm 
Snarf

smells like wonderland is a great title...for something...i might steal that from you...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:03 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Mike? Have you been drinking at work again?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:47 pm 
Mechagodzilla

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UNHOLY TWO ("Rawer than Tommy Rich's forehead after a dog-chain match with Buzz Sawyer circa May 1983") play BEERLAND 3/14 & TRAILER$PACE 3/17
BIM from BA$$HOLE$/THI$ MOMENT/PUFFY$ is playing drums w/ us.
both parties r curated by our friend Gerard & have EVEN LE$$ 2 do with $X$W than Paul Roma does w/the hall of fame accolades of the 4 horsemen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:59 pm 
King Ghidorah

How much did Cosloy ask you to pay him to play his thangs?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:09 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:59 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:17 pm 
Godzilla

If they got Stardrop to play this I'd give 'em a $100.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:17 pm 
Snarf

LISTEN LOCAL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 pm 
Snarf

LISTEN LOCAL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:20 am 
Godzilla

anyway how much did you donate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:51 am 
Snarf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:44 pm 
King Ghidorah

To be clear, I'm not associated with this thing, but I love how everybody gets so worked up about it. This is the shit that makes Columbus feel like a small town. The Ohio X Southwest thread is most definitely the new Comfest thread.

I like how everybody is taking offense to them heading to another city, and saying they are Columbus. Like they're including you in it. In fact, I bet on the days where they're all down there not playing the showcase, they'll be busking. Acoustic guitars strumming C, D and G, while singing through the Columbus and Surrounding Areas Phone Directory, to be clear that they represent everyone in the city. I bet there will be hundreds of people walking by when they get to your name. At that point you're fucked, and people will simply assume you like terrible music.

Oh, the horror!
Good thing we have this heavily trafficed message board to clear any misconceptions on that one.

I would argue though, that they're not NOT Columbus.

Or If the dig is that they're going down to be a drop in the bucket of this massive festival where nobody will notice them because they're not an official showcase, then what does anyone care what they call it anyway? If they look like fools after they're down there and nobody saw it, then it won't hurt the cred of The Un$$holy T$WO.

As for getting donations to make it happen? Yeah, they have to pay to rent the venue. So does Diesel, and SPIN, and whomever else hosts some sort of showcase. Official or not.
As for using Kickstarter? Why not?
The Floorwalkers made some $10K - $12K off of Kickstarter to buy a new van. Do I think that it was a proper use of Kickstarter? No.
In their minds, was it a good idea in the end? I'm guessing, Yeah.
Why wouldn't it be? Free fucking van.
If they have a fan base that wants to spend their money that way, and buy them a van, or a limo, or supplement their mini-tour down South in exchange for some autographed stickers and bobblehead dolls or whatever, then fine. Those dudes are probably smarter and going to get further (in comfort, wink) than everyone who didn't feel comfortable asking their supporters for something like that. And it doesn't matter how you feel about their music, but they put the effort into building a fan base large enough to facilitate and accomplish that shit first. I can't really take that away from them.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go start a kickstarter to purchase a 6 foot party sub and a Great Lakes sampler pack for my next rehearsal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:22 pm 
Snarf

So do I get to pick the shitty band that's gonna play "Freebird" when I donate $1,500+...? I'm loaded...

Uncle_Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:15 pm 
Godzilla

are there other "city showcases"?

i mean this thing if nothing else just reeks of O-H!

which is a horrible representation of "columbus art"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next