[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Videos and Photos from the 80s/90s Music Scene

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Videos and Photos from the 80s/90s Music Scene
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:35 am 
Snarf

I'm currently searching for videos and photos from the 80s/90s rock-n-roll scene for a documentary I'm producing about the great music from that time period. If you can help me hunt this stuff down then I will be forever grateful. I know of Jay Brown's photos and I have all the videos that are on youtube.

I'm looking for photos and videos that include [but is not limited to]:
Venues
• Stache's
• Little Brother's
• Bernie's
• Larry's
• Used Kids
• Newport

Bands
• Greenhorn
• TJSA
• New Bomb Turks
• Scrawl
• The Yips
• Great Plains
• Bassholes
• Gaunt
• Moviola
• Monster Truck Five
• Gibson Brothers
• Mike Rep and The Quotas
• V3
• Royal Crescent Mob

And any other videos or photos that relate to that time. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Videos and Photos from the 80s/90s Music Scene
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:11 am 
Godzilla

https://www.facebook.com/pages/jfotoman ... ?sk=photos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:24 pm 
Snarf

jawbreaker, i'm very familiar jfotoman photos.

i need stuff that isn't online :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:21 pm 
Godzilla

jesus dude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:52 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:03 pm 
Godzilla

wont be too long before this guy is making a kickstarter page huh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:46 pm 
Snarf

if you feel like i'm asking too much, then just ignore me. please keep your ignorant, cynical responses to yourself.

i posted this hoping some nice, helpful people would see it and realize they have some photos or videos that they could share.

patradio, thanks, but i'm a few steps ahead of ya.

holymedium, when was the last time you helped a stranger? better yet, why are you dissing kickstarter?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:52 pm 
Godzilla

dude

its like youre doing youre best to make people not want to help

maybe get in touch with joel from cringe

http://www.cringe.com/current/

stop being so smug

hope that helps

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 pm 
Snarf

thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:05 pm 
Godzilla

in a way, it's th simple not knowing who to ask that makes yr intent to attempt this project so easy to remain unsympathetic to.

especially since ten minutes ago you were on here asking people what documentary topic you should choose.

that said…kellie morgan has been rounding up col's-band videotapes for quite awhile for some archival project or another. i have a stack i keep meaning to send her. she is in new york. find her, and…i dunno. something will happen.

anyhow, i'll give you a few hints:

a) a documentary that concentrates on th most well-known bands (at least, around here), will not be as well-loved as one that gets to as much insanely obscure shit as it can. we're all on an even level around here. th turks and v-3 and rc mob are of th same importance as koo stark and li'l half steps and cicada field (possibly, even, less, since you can watch a video of th turks any old day, while footage of koo stark - even audio! - is much more difficult to happen across) - not to mention not-so-known (inter)nationally but well-loved around here bands like hairy patt, jive turkeys, pica huss, etc etc.

b) PLEASE don't set out to "prove" that we have/had a good "scene". we did/do. so does every town (i'm partial to ours, yes). not interesting.

c) STOP before you get to howlin' maggie.

d) in yr list there th 'that time' you refer to covers at least '83-'96. that's pretty fucking ambitious. maybe go with '81-'87 or '89-'95 or something. it will be pain enough.

e) jay brown, th photographer, was THEE documentarian of col's music, visually, for many years. not to disparage any other photo-takers (you should certainly track many, many, many of them down too), but if yr moovie isn't CHOCK-FULL of his images, it is WRONG.

f) here's a very short list of people you actually need to buy drinks, pizzas, flowers, and anything else you possibly can to make them like you and speak at length with you:

curt scheiber
craig regala
sb tobias
tim anastett
matt campbell
paul nini
nudge squidfish
tony barnett
lizard mcgee
bela koe-krompecher
tj steppe

(i may have spelled any or all of these incorrectly, and they are but th TIP of th iceberg. but they should lead you to others. if they wanna talk to you. and you know what to say to them.)

g) it took th guy who made th karp documentary over five years to do it. and that's one (1) band. ONE.

h) if you aren't already a member of that facebook rock'n'roll high school reunion club or whatever, go get in it. you might get an inkling of th magnitude of th undertaking.

i) best not say yr doc is about "great music" unless you plan on including bluegrass, jazz, big band, metal, and all th other shit we have around here. narrow that focus, brah.

hearts,
nick

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:33 am 
Snarf

nick, thanks man! i was asking people about documentary project ideas b/c i'm constantly working on a variety of projects and i was looking for something short and simple to balance out the lengthy projects i'm producing.

i'm not setting out to prove anything. i'm making this b/c i wish i was around to be a part of the scene but i was too young. i want to celebrate the music by documenting that period in a creative way. i think the story of the columbus underground punk/indie rock scene is a great story. it's really that simple. i'm focusing mainly on the late 80s to the mid 90s.

jay brown's photos will be central to the success of this project. i got in touch with him a while ago and just have to plan on heading over to pittsburgh sometime soon.

i'm meeting with one of the guy's in charge of the rock-n-roll high school reunion. i've already interviewed bela and mike rep. i'm interviewing dan dow soon and hopefully ron house, nudge squidfish, and dan dougan as well. i've been trying to find a way to get in touch with craig regala and curt scheiber. those other names are new to me and i have a long list of people so thanks for that.

kellie morgan, yes, i need to get in touch with her definitely. that's a name i haven't come across in my research. before you send her your vhs tapes, could i copy some footage of them from you? i have a special miniDV tape recorder to do it.

seriously, i appreciate your help. can i buy you a beer or two sometime and talk in person?

i understand this is an ambitious project, but i'm used to working on ambitious projects that take a long time to finish. this project has to be ambitious for it to be good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:05 pm 
King Ghidorah

c) STOP before you get to howlin' maggie.