[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - We Are Columbus Ohio "Ohio X Southwest"

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: We Are Columbus Ohio "Ohio X Southwest"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:47 pm 
Godzilla

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... ng/1379100

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Pledge $750 or more
1 Backer • Limited Reward (3 of 4 remaining)

WHAAAAAAAT?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:44 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:42 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:20 pm 
Mechagodzilla

the movement keeps moving.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=30089&start=75

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:55 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

A friend of mine who lives in LA played a non-sanctioned show on the strip in 2005. Hadn't seen him in years and it was cool to catch up. That being said, while all the other clubs on 6th had lines out the door, this band played in front of 8 people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:55 pm 
King Ghidorah

well... there's a lot of moms and dads and grandmas and grandpas whose precious/super talented little angel is never going to get to be a mega-selling recording star because of you cynical assholes.
i hope you're proud of yourselves.
:clap: :( :boohoo: :clap:

don't you GET it??? don't you understand that by unofficially supporting our local arts in a totally over-congested, over-hyped festival, that we.. that's US.. OUR TOWN... get our name printed on flyers all over some other town in TX that barely recognizes any of the bands that are for real in the show case??? only total jerks would mock the talent that's bubbling over here, in our beautiful part of america!! and we don't need you jerks at OUR show anyways... i wish there was a "tongue sticking out" emoticon. you guys stink.

"My brother's Municipal League baseball team is named the Stepdads. Seeing as none of the guys on the team are actual stepdads, I inquired about the name. He explained, "Cuz we beat you, and you hate us."
-unknown

Last edited by irongoat81 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:22 pm 
King Ghidorah

it's funny they draw the line at 5K like some kind of threat... LOL...

... or else what?? pussies might have to actually earn their way there? HAHA...

"My brother's Municipal League baseball team is named the Stepdads. Seeing as none of the guys on the team are actual stepdads, I inquired about the name. He explained, "Cuz we beat you, and you hate us."
-unknown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:38 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:34 am 
King Ghidorah

-unknown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Jeni's is a sponsor..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:31 pm 
King Ghidorah

I'm driving down now -- and will put my entire heart and soul into promoting the shows of all the amazing Columbus bands playing SXSW (Unholy 2, Psychedelic Horseshit, Sundown, Funerals) -- but I don't have a place to stay.

Should I start a Kickstarter to get swank place on 6th St?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:26 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:45 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:17 am 
Snarf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:15 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

BACKERS

$4,277
PLEDGED OF $5,000 GOAL

DAYS TO GO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:22 pm 
Godzilla

http://wearecolumbusohio.com/

sick site

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:29 pm 
Snarf

it's sad to see so much cynicism and hate towards people trying to do a good thing. at least they're trying, which is more than most wannabe musicians in cbus can say.

hey haters, would you rather these people sit at home and continue to be lazy/apathetic like most "artists" in cbus do on a daily basis?

if we lived in a society that valued the arts and creativity more than mindless consumption then there wouldn't be a need for kickstarter. i'd much rather give my money to creative people trying to live their dream than waste it on stupid shit that will collect dust in the basement.

btw, that portlandia video is fucking hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:58 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:38 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:11 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:57 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:48 am 
Snarf

yeah, if these were bonafide con artists, then your point would be valid. are you certain the people putting this on are con artists? or is that just your opinion? from my perspective it's that they are guilty of being overly ambitious, maybe a little naive. but hey, just b/c you don't agree with it doesn't mean it can't be a good thing. simply being down at sxsw gives these bands a better chance at meeting the right people than if they didn't go.

what would you rather these bands do? stay in fucking columbus where there is no industry exposure and play at a half-empty bar full of apathetic people? if i were in a band i'd rather play in a half-empty bar in austin any day of the week.

the "pay to play" idea could be looked at from a variety of angles. you can look at it as a sham or as a risky investment or just a part of paying your dues. filmmakers have to pay to play all the time. festivals and contests charge entry fees. is it a sham? it could be argued, but then again a small percentage of filmmakers that pay to play have their investment pay off. so, who are you to tell these bands what they should spend their money on?

the punk rock way of being in a band isn't the only way to do it. i personally think it's dumb to live by the "scrape shit together" business model b/c i think living out of a shitty van and barely surviving is a horrible way to live. but that's just my opinion. for some bands it works out great. for a lot it's a horrible decision.

with all that said, it would be better if this unofficial showcase had a great lineup of bands instead of a mediocre lineup. does anyone know what bands are participating?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:01 am 
Snarf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next