[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Unsigned Band Compilation

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unsigned Band Compilation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:04 pm 
Snarf

Starting September 26th a KickStarter page was put up in an effort to make a new FREE compilation cd. There will be rewards and prizes for those that help. I hope everyone can do something to support it! Please take a look at the site and do what you can. I encourage that if you can’t contribute to at least share it with your friends. We have 28 days to raise this money.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the ... ompilation

Post subject: Re: Unsigned Band Compilation
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:07 am 
Godzilla

how do i start a kickstarter to get rich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:08 am 
Godzilla

also how is it free if youre asking for money

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:09 am 
Godzilla

sick tracklist btw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:26 am 
Snarf

Following this guy's posts, I see he's a mere troll. Ignore his discouragement and unformulated statements. He types a sentence without inspecting the details.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:30 am 
Godzilla

im sorry im not inspecting details?

ok cool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:31 am 
Godzilla

feel free to elaborate on "unformulated statements"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:47 am 
Godzilla

and again, thanks for bringing the board back, duff . . .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:58 am 
Snarf

For those of you who can't read, don't understand how kickstarter works, and can't look into how it work, this should clear it up:

1. You can't get rich from kickstarter. It's designed to take donations for projects. Our goal is to raise $1,000, which still won't cover the entire project. So much for making a living off of it, right?

2. The compilation will be given away free, meaning we will not be making money off of this. I know that is a hard concept to grasp.

3. I get the sarcasm but while there is no track list, there is a list of bands. The idea, get people to look into the bands. I know, again, hard concept to grasp.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:16 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:22 pm 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:11 pm 
Godzilla

My band only plays for exposure.

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:44 pm 
Mechagodzilla

$OMEBODY DEF DIDNT GO 2 ART $CHOOL :cry: :oops: :cry: :oops: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:07 pm 
King Ghidorah

Greater Columbus Arts Council and The Ohio Arts Council give grants every year for projects like this. Also, couldn't you save a bunch of money by just making cd-r(s)? Not trying to be shitty, just saying that there seems to be a way to do it for a lot less money.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:47 am 
Godzilla

Our manager has advised us that this project may conflict with our own money-losing scams to release free original music.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:11 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:43 pm 
Snarf

If you know of cheaper but nice looking local ways of doing it, please let me know. I started another thread asking and no one came forward with anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:21 pm 
Snarf

I love the Columbus "scene". There isn't even a form of unity amongst friends. You have more than enough people with more than enough time to bitch, whine, cut down, degrade, complain, pick apart, play devil’s advocate, mock, and tell you where they think you are wrong but when it comes down to it, not one person comes forward to say how you can do it better, easier, or cheaper, just that it SHOULD be able to be done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:24 pm 
Godzilla

i love how you define the columbus music community based on a few snarky comments on a message board...demonstrates what you actually know about any "scenes."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:35 pm 
Godzilla

You could do an iTunes comp, it wouldn't cost anything, and everybody could get "exposure"

Is that constructive?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:43 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:22 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:24 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:28 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:50 pm 
King Ghidorah

There were some answers over here...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32985&p=274391#p274391

and here

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32521&start=0&hilit=Musicol

I work at Musicol and we'd love to have your business. You could probably get a run of 500 cd's in paper sleeves for not all that much money. I'm not the studio manager, so I'm not sure how much, but the prices aren't bad and we're local, so you save on shipping.

Here's the website...
http://www.musicolrecording.com/

but, it's best to just call and ask for Warren.
I hope that is helpful.

To your broader point about people not being helpful in getting your comp off the ground... When we were starting CDR, we didn't really expect the Columbus music scene to cough up answers on how to start a label, not to say people weren't helpful. Certain people like Mike Rep, Bela, & Jerry Dannemiller, to name a few, were hugely helpful. But to get the tips we needed, we called dudes on the phone and talked to them at shows and shot the shit with dudes at Used Kids. Point being, a message board isn't the best place to get people to help you figure this stuff out and you really shouldn't indict the Columbus music scene over people not feeling like taking an hour to type up a big thing to walk you through putting out a CD. Plus, figuring a lot of this stuff out for yourself shows self-reliance and determination, which you are gonna need spades even for a simple project like this. It's easy to be overcome with cynicism when you get deep into any release, so it's good idea to prove to yourself early on that you can solve big problems without going hat in hand to anyone.

As far as the Kickstarter thing goes, when we were getting our first batch of releases in order, we certainly didn't expect the scene to cough up the money to pay for it. We put in all of the money we could, and the bands we worked with put in all the money they could. At the end of the day, though, whether you are starting a record label or putting out a one off comp to give away, when you take someone's music to put on a release, you are basically taking professional responsibility for what is arguably someone's life's work, so it's important to have your shit together. That could include being able to save up $500 or $600 to put into a project that you assume is going to lose all of your investment. That shows you are willing to put some skin in the game. As a side note it's important to remember that, no matter how much skin you have in the game, the bands have more skin in the game.

Please don't take this as me getting on a high horse. Early on, I personally bunged a few records and CDR bunged a few records on top of that. Everything I'm laying out here are lessons learned through fucking something up.

Anyway, welcome to the Columbus music scene. Good luck w/ your comp.

Edit, also, I'd recommend starting w/ a run of 300-500 CD's and re-pressing as necessary. At least until you figure out how big your market is and all of that. Till you get your sea legs.