[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Viva Brother @ Black Box

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Viva Brother @ Black Box
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:20 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

So confusing ... Wex site listed doors at 7:30 for a while. Then it listed doors at 8. It listed opening acts as Kitten and 1,2,3 for a while. Then it listed 1,2,3 and The Dig for a while. Then it just listed 1,2,3 as the opener.

Did a DonewaitingTV session with Viva Brother Monday afternoon and overheard somebody say "We go on at 10:40." That didn't seem right either.

So confusing.

I showed up around 8:40. There were 5 other people there. 1,2,3 went on at 9 and the crowd size had increased x4 or x5. 1,2,3 said they were from Pittsburgh (I didn't know that) and were pretty good. Kind of caught a Surfer Blood vibe a little bit but there was also some falsetto vocals that were sort of Prince-ish (yeah?) and at times I was thinking, "I'd like to hear the singer take on a Jeff Buckley song." I think I'll listen to their CD tonight to see if it becomes clearer who they can be compared to.

Viva Brother went on a little past 10. Crowd size remained the same - somewhere in the 25 neighborhood (I'll go +/- 5). Been a long time since I've seen a UK band and, yeah, these guys looked British (or so I thought). The bass player looked like he should have been in the Beach Boys with his stripped shirt. Viva Brother is a 4-piece that kind of sounds like Oasis if Oasis has been influenced by Fig Dish (reference that only Cookiehead Jenkins will get) instead of The Beatles. They brought along a keyboard player and backing female vocalist.

Though the crowd wasn't huge, it looked like these guys had fun and they played about 40 minutes of course playing THE song of 2011 so far (for me) "Darling Buds of May". It's a bit of an anomaly on the CD - just a tad different sounding than the other stuff.

Word is that they are coming back to town in October for a CD101 low dough show. What do I know? I'd say something all cocky like, "DON'T MISS THEM NEXT TIME" but I know you will :(

Parked on 14th, walked to my car after the show but before I could get there, encountered 4 homeless (?) gentlemen sitting on the benches by Starbucks. As soon as I entered the "zone", one got up, walked right at me. There was no where for me to go so I started for my car when this dude comes up, says "I ain't gonna do anything, just wanted to ask you a question. I need $.35. Dude, me and my boys are already fucked up. I just need some spare change if you got any." I handed him a buck, wished him a good night and jumped in my car. Driving down Pearl Alley, saw the largest rat I've ever seen cross in front of my, jump up on a wall and run into a backyard.

Oh, how I miss campus living.

Post subject: Re: Viva Brother @ Black Box
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:51 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Listened to the 1,2,3s last night and no way should I have mentioned Prince or Jeff Buckley. That gives the wrong impression. Dude does hit some falsetto notes once in a while though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:57 am 
Donewaiting Comfest Commitee Liaison

I wonder how much the Wex eats in guarantee money? I've been to some uncomfortably small shows there and it sounds like the attendance at this one was incredibly sparse.

The bum/ junkie heathen contingent on High Street is insane right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:23 am 
King Ghidorah

oh man, the fig dish reference. I haven't thought about that band since high school. I wander if I still have that cd.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:27 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:04 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:56 pm 
Snarf

Los Campesinos! at Wex was woefully under attended. Like, I felt very uncomfortable the entire show and the band made it very clear that it was a disappointment and even went as far as to pretty much state that Cbus wouldn't be seeing them again. Not in a jerky way, more humorous, but still....it was reallllly bad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:55 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:44 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:48 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff