[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Q-FM 96 Hometown Album Project 1978

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Q-FM 96 Hometown Album Project 1978
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 am 
Mothra

I found a copy of this record in really great condition. Anybody know anything about it? Based on the album notes, Q-FM and The String Shoppe had a contest of sorts with local bands, the winnners being featured on the record. It states over 200 bands auditioned. The only name I recognize is McGuffey Lane. Here is a track listing and comments from a website I found. Link to the site with a pic of the album is at the end.

1. FRANK PIERCE GROUPE - Livin' For You
AOR.
2. GARY WHITMAN - Silence Of Surrender
RUSH-inspired progressive hard rock with some heavy riffs but unfortunately the completely wrong kind of high pitched vocals. Gary would form the band CITADEL the following year (see the Unity Gain DLP), who recently re-released this song on their Vintage Vinyls CD.
3. MCGUFFEY LANE - Stay In Love With You
Country.
4. GEOFF TYUS - Daytrain
Jazz.
5. THE BUTTONS - I Saw Superman
Powerpop.

Side B:
1. SPITTIN' IMAGE - I Can’t Wait
Country rock.
2. CHAMP - Got Caught In The Feeling
AOR/pomp.
3. REFLECTION - Friend
Country.
4. THE MUFFS - Why
Powerpop.
5. PAGEN BROTHERS BAND - Lay Down In Shanty Town
Reggae rock.
6. ROUGHRIDER - Country Rocker
Just what the song title says.

http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/qfm96hometown.html

Post subject: Re: Q-FM 96 Hometown Album Project 1978
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:47 pm 
Godzilla

I interviewed Kim Shattuck from the Muffs a couple of years ago for a SXSW show. They just recently did another record and used to be on Warner Bros. They started out with a few singles for Sub Pop. Kim's a real sweetheart. Had it not been for a similar deal with WTUE (Dayton-Springfield classic rock) in 1990 that lead to lots of radio play, a track on their homegrown volume #4 record and my first show at Canal Street Tavern when I was 18; rock and roll may have never ruined my life. Fucking kill me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:53 am 
Godzilla

dude, we're talking 1978, that's a waaaaaaaay different muffs. hell, kim wasn't even in the pandoras til what? '83?

these muffs were an offshoot of columbus 70's AOR-rock legends money. (or money was an offshoot of the muffs. can't remember/don't care) either way, they were both a HUUUUGE deal in columbus in the 70's, got lots of love from QFM (even more than they showed the godz or rosie) and both sucked donkey-balls.

but no-where NEAR as much as spittin' image.

and QFM96 did a few of those hometown albums, you can find 'em pretty easily in the suburbs on a weekend . . .

ohgoodlord, why'd you make me have to access those long forgotten parts of my brain?!?!??

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:01 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:40 am 
Mothra

Yeah I picked it up at Half Price Books for 50cents, it's in great condition....couldn't pass it up. In 1978, I'm guessing for a local band to release an album would be pretty expensive, so getting a track on here was probably a big deal. Over 200 bands auditioned....I wonder how many of the bands that made it on the album played Comfest that year?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:04 am 
Mothra

The Buttons was Willie Phoenix.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:15 pm 
Godzilla

You are so right. Kim Shattuck was about 15 years old in '78.

I hate it when I go for the wrong Muff.