All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: so, plong . . . MOTORSTORM: APOCALYPSE
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:36 pm 
Godzilla

whaddaya think so far?

Post subject: Re: so, plong . . . MOTORSTORM: APOCALYPSE
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:12 pm 
Godzilla

holy shit! for the first time in the four game motorstorm history, there's a course where i have a better track time than plong!!!

(mind you, on the very next race he's ranked 22,000 people ahead of me . . . but still, there's ONE race that i got a better time on. its a little triumph, but i'll take it!)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:23 pm 
Mechagodzilla

HA

That's funny.

I am borrowing the game from my friend, because I really didn't think Pacific Rift was very good. So I decided to take a 'wait and see' attitude towards Apocalypse. I've played it for enough time to beat the campaign festival mode. After that, I went online for a little bit (maybe 4-5 races) then hung it up. I guess I just really, really hate the vehicle handling in this game. After the perfect balance between racing sim and arcade shown on the first motorstorm, It's like they went out of the way to fuck with the thing that made it so good. On this new game, sometimes it's hard to keep going in a straight line. Really? Why make the steering so squirrely? Ugh.

I'll still have it for a couple days, so if you want to get online with me sometime this week and race some private room races I'm totally down for that. I promise, it won't be the epic ass kicking I delivered unto you last time LOL

Hit me with a PM here or on PSN and we'll hook it up, yo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:21 am 
Godzilla

plong wrote:
I've played it for enough time to beat the campaign festival mode. After that, I went online for a little bit (maybe 4-5 races) then hung it up. I guess I just really, really hate the vehicle handling in this game. After the perfect balance between racing sim and arcade shown on the first motorstorm, It's like they went out of the way to fuck with the thing that made it so good. On this new game, sometimes it's hard to keep going in a straight line. Really? Why make the steering so squirrely? Ugh.

as frustrating as the "straight line" problem can be, i just chalk that up to the "constant earthquakes, typhoons, rpg's and explosions" going on around you. and yeah, they gave up completely on the sim end of it RIGHT after the first one, and i did enjoy the tightness of the controls on that 1st one more than any sequel.

but i think as an arcadey-end game this is the ONE! the excitement level as tracks become tunnels because of missiles or ferris wheels or what have you is a total gas. i'm having fun like i did the first time i ever played an out-run in the arcade or crazy taxi or some shit like that. i howl with laughter/astonishment on a regular basis the first time through a course, and that never happens in a racer.

the 2 things that ARE driving me nuts right now is how long it can take before it'll accept a "select/reset to track" if you've gone off a cliff or wedges against a structure. wastes far too many seconds waiting on it to allow you to reset. and even worse, the rubber-banding on this game is worse than any i've ever played. it's noticeable on most tracks, but there were a couple of specific races where it got so bad it was just fucking maddening. those are the 2 or 3 tracks where my times are better than yours. its not even that i ran good races, but the rubber-banding made me run those couple a dozen times each just to qualify, and none of them are 1sts. but i did get real fucking good at those tracks . . . but seriously, controller-throwning madness.

still a gas, though . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:30 am 
King Ghidorah

i need to play this
right after i finish shadows of the damned (which is awesome!)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:45 am 
Mechagodzilla

BastardSuperstar wrote:
the rubber-banding on this game is worse than any i've ever played . . . but seriously, controller-throwning madness.

Yep. It can be a very difficult game. In particular, the first time i ran the Skyline track (The one on top of all the buildings) it took me like 6-7 times to just qualify, which at the time was only 5th place IIRC. It seems that in this game, even more than the others, the AI is hell-bent on wrecking the crap out of you. I guess that adds to the destruction theme of 'apocalypse', but it can indeed be controller-throwing madness.

Also, I did not like running eliminator matches in a monster truck LOL

I am going to mail this game back to my buddy this week. If you want to play, hook it up. If I'm on PSN and see you're logged on I'll throw you an invite.