[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Brewing Beer (Now giving away free beer, details inside)

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brewing Beer (Now giving away free beer, details inside)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:01 am 
Jet Jaguar

Anyone else here brew beer besides me? I was talking to Ben and realized that some of the other friendship farmers might be brewing as well. I got Hoptimus Prime (a double IPA that is a cross between Hopslam/Pliny The Elder/Columbus IPA) in the secondary. I also have my dessert beer Evil Cupcake Ale finishing up. Both are around 9%. I'd love to share beers, trade recipes, and talk about beers with anyone else who does this in/around Columbus.

I think my next beer is going to be called Electric Strawberry Shortcake and will have 8 lbs of fresh strawberries in it as well as lots of biscuit malts.

I do all grain brewing by the way.

Last edited by SpruceCampbell on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Brewing Beer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:57 am 
Mothra

I have been brewing for about 2 years now and I am about to make the jump to all grain. I tend to over think things and I guess I should just try it. I am currently drinking an imperial ipa take on hopslam, a very malty attempt at a california common (it came out tasting a bit more like southern tier's Phin & Matts), and a brown ale I did with maple syrup and pecans (a little sweet, but my fav so far). I just bottled an ESB over the weekend.

I just put an order in at Rife's Market for 2 lbs of cherries for some type of wheat or pale ale concoction and I am looking into maybe a stout for my next brew.

Any recommendations for researching all grain brewing?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:29 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

are you guys bottling? growlers? soda kegs?

plastic or glass fermenters?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:04 am 
King Ghidorah

I have been around people when they're doing it and would like to get into it myself. DJ Riko started to teach me the ropes when I was living in San Diego. Anyone interested in a home-brew appreciation meetup?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:04 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:13 am 
Mothra

Always up for talking (and drinking) beer!

Plastic primaries and glass secondaries. Right now I am bottling with 12 and 22 oz glass bottles. As mentioned, they are good for sharing with friends and neighbors.

Thanks for the grain brewing info, that is great! I need to make the jump and your instructions may finally tip me in that direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:39 pm 
King Ghidorah

Cool. Are any of you that want to meet up near downtown? Any specific place you'd like to hang out and talk beer? Elevator?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:08 am 
Jet Jaguar

I like bottles. But I hate waiting for 3 weeks. So I got two coke kegs coming in the mail tomorrow. Gonna go get some CO2 so I can start drinking my beer as little as 3 weeks in as opposed 4-8 weeks.

There is a lot of great videos on youtube helping with all grain. But watch a lot. Cause some are better than others, and you have to take into account your own brewing situation. Once you smell the fresh grains turning into wort you will be hooked. So much better and aromatic. As I said all I use is paint bags and an igloo container. Then I lift the grain bag onto a cookie cooling rack and push down to get the rest of the sugary wort to come through.

I practice downtown at Morningstar so I am downtown a few times a week. In terms of local I prefer CBC over Elevator, but I am good with Tip Top or Bodega too.

We should do a monthly or bi-monthly meeting. I am prepping to brew two more beers in the next week or so. Just added two ounces of Citra and a 1/2 ounce of Columbus to my Hoptimus Prime batch today to dry hop it. Can't wait to drink it next week.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:48 pm 
King Ghidorah

CBC works for me. Still haven't been there but I'm a huge fan of the IPA and Pale.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:10 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

someone please make Friendship Farm Ale

So hoppy it slaps you in the face

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:40 am 
Jet Jaguar

Already one step ahead of you Duffy. Having a tasting party for my first batch of this Thursday. Has 3 more ounces of hops than Pliney the Elder or Hopslam. 8.75% alcohol.

Dear random bastards of the internet. DON'T STEAL THIS.. please

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:05 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:21 pm 
Godzilla

what arent we stealing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:56 pm 
Jet Jaguar

god damnit. well I guess everything good has been done before. well played Kirk. I supposed I should have scoured the internet first. But as I have had almost every IPA I could find from the east coast to the west coast I assumed I would've seen it, tasted it, or read about it. I still like my label better. I couldn't find anything called "Fat Boy and Lemon Man Citrus Bomb Ale" so I think that will do that next.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:48 am 
Jet Jaguar

PM me for *FREE BEER*

I am going to be giving out bottles of every batch of beer I brew. These bottles will be given to only beer enthusiasts. I am working on refining my (now newly named) Hoptimus Primus recipe as well as some dessert beers. If you are interested in being on my mailing list, trying beer, and giving me your input shoot me a PM. My goal is to spend the next 3 months refining my main recipe and once I have it down, rent a vat at a brewery, and produce it in bulk. So yeah, PM me to get on the list. I am going to be producing 1-2 cases per week for the next 10 weeks if all works out right. Tell your friends as well. The bigger the list I get, the better. It will be first come first serve once it's bottled.

Spruce Campbells Brewing is go.