blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer Movies 2011
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:21 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I've only seen Hangover 2 so far.. Want to see Super 8 and Bridesmaids.. Lukewarm on Thor.. Green Lantern looks awful..

what about YOU

Post subject: Re: Summer Movies 2011
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:01 pm 
Donewaiting Comfest Commitee Liaison

Hobo With A Shotgun was like Troma meets grindhouse. Totally killer. Lots of ignorance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:59 pm 
Godzilla

jill ebenezer wrote:
Hobo With A Shotgun was like Troma meets grindhouse. Totally killer. Lots of ignorance.

Agreed. My expectations were exceeded on this one and I HATE Troma films. This shit was bananas. Dude just wanted a lawnmower...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:22 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Outdoor series at the Wex Center starts thursday (speaking of summer movies)

Lost in Translation, popcorn, microbrews, art chicks...c'mon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:05 am 
Godzilla

robertduffy wrote:
I've only seen Hangover 2 so far.. Want to see Super 8 and Bridesmaids.. Lukewarm on Thor..
what about YOU

see thor.
now.
i don't give a fuck about thor. i grew up and still (obviously) am a comic nerd. don't know to this day if i've EVER read a thor comic. only ever enjoyed the reboot of the character in "the ultimates" (and that's cuz he was batshit crazy) but man, i'm telling you . . . go see thor.

visually amazing, the casting, the story, kenneth branagh (the ONLY guy who could have made this movie right) plus: kat dennings.

but seriously, everything on earth is like 7.5 or 8. everything in asgard or the frost realms and all that shit is sooooooooo fucking awesome. 10+ for nerds. and idris elba is the most hard assed vikinggod motherfucker ever.

super 8. everything you expect. it's abrams doing the early 80's spielberg-wonder-epic. and it's REAL good. jj is the ONLY guy working right now in the big leagues who should try a spielberg-wonder-epic. but it also demonstrates a powerful point. abrahms ain't spielberg-in-his-prime. there's a handful of things that're so hamfisted that they feel like he's POUNDING his point into your brain. (and the final climax is a 50pound sledge of the metaphor for the whole fucking movie that hurts when it hits.) but i still fucking loved it every bit as much as i knew i would.

robertduffy wrote:
Green Lantern looks awful..

no, EVERYthing about ryan reynolds and earth looks awful. everything about the corp, and parallax and hell, even hector hammond looks fucking awesome. michael clark duncan as killowog is inspired, both in it's perfection AND its obviousness. geoffery rush will be perfect voicing tomar-re. and what i'm seeing of mark strong as sinestro makes me sooooo excited about sequels that'll incororate the his turn to the dark side and the sinestro corps wars and we won't need much earth and "people."

but yeah, ryan's the worst pick ever for hal, and the suit's a fucking insult.

cap looks awesome, too, and i was REALLY against the chris evans casting, but other than how the freakish cgi of his "skinny" body with his normal head creeps me out everytime i see the ad, everything else looks pretty badassed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:13 am 
Godzilla

oh yeah, x-men:first class was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy more awesome than i was expecting.
maybe the most fun of the bunch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:31 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

BastardSuperstar wrote:

no, EVERYthing about ryan reynolds and earth looks awful. everything about the corp, and parallax and hell, even hector hammond looks fucking awesome. michael clark duncan as killowog is inspired, both in it's perfection AND its obviousness. geoffery rush will be perfect voicing tomar-re. and what i'm seeing of mark strong as sinestro makes me sooooo excited about sequels that'll incororate the his turn to the dark side and the sinestro corps wars and we won't need much earth and "people."

but yeah, ryan's the worst pick ever for hal, and the suit's a fucking insult.

i will agree to disagree with you because everything i see in those green lantern trailers looks like complete wanky bullshit. seriously, to me it looks like superhero technicolor puke... i think ryan is the least of its problems......

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Super 8 rocked. Good that Speilberg-style summer blockbusters are back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:02 am 
King Ghidorah

I thought x men first class was pretty weak. Everybody was dressed really well in it tho.

The sheer amount of craft J.J. Abrams put into Super 8 to get it to be a Spielberg movie was impressive, plus the monster looked good and the kids acted well.

Super was sick.

I thought it was gonna be a kind of cute kind of indie comedy, then I realized James Gunn directed it. James Gunn, Troma alum, did Tromeo and Juliet, wrote the Dawn of the Dead remake.

Better than Thor and Super 8 put together.
I'm gonna try to see Hobo w/ a Shotgun & Viva La Riva soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 am 
Godzilla

i was real bummed to have missed both super and hobo in the theaters.
they were both things i REALLY wanted to see on the bigscreen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:33 am 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

Super was kind of fucked up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:11 am 
Snarf

As I'm a huge fan of Ryan Reynolds I wanna see green lantern so bad:)

You can switch encoding parameters of end files such as example frequencyp

youtube to mp3 converter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 pm 
Godzilla

CarolineB wrote:

youtube to mp3 converter

CarolineB, I cannot agree more

His performance in "waiting" is the stuff of legends

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:37 pm 
Godzilla

B/S, as usual, has hit all of the major points that I would want to. I'm not as much of a bona fide comic nerd, since like 90% of what I know has come from having watched an inappropriately large portion of comic-related cartoons over the last 20+ years and random encyclopedic jaunts when I feel like knowing more. I've seen Thor and X:FC, am planning to see GL tonight, and will most likely hit Cap when it comes out.

re: GL, I aggressively avoid trailers, so despite seeing the Green Lantern trailer before X-Men: First Class, I only caught a few peeks of Sinestro and Kilowogg, which were enough to make me want to see it.

Intercontinental C's wrote:
CarolineB wrote:

youtube to mp3 converter

CarolineB, I cannot agree more

His performance in "waiting" is the stuff of legends

The objections you keep hearing aren't necessarily about whether Ryan Reynolds has done any good movies. I actually like him, in general, but from what little I know of Hal Jordan, my top casting criterion would not be comedic timing. He'd probably make an okay Guy Gardner, if he'd let them eff up his face and hair a bit. I'm very curious to see the costume now that B/S called it an "insult," but my current stance on GL, as it is with most comic movies, is how bad can it really be? There were a laundry list of faults that could be found in X3 and Wolverine, but I still enjoyed parts of them. Maybe I'll feel differently tomorrow.

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:02 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

hate to break your (green) bubble that is emitting from your ring, but the comic book nerds on AICN say Ryan Reynods is the only thing GOOD about the film..

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50046
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50044

If it turns out to be good I will see it, but I am super skeptical...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:25 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

not coming out this summer, BUT.... speaking of green.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:32 pm 
Godzilla

robertduffy wrote:
hate to break your (green) bubble that is emitting from your ring, but the comic book nerds on AICN say Ryan Reynods is the only thing GOOD about the film..

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50046
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50044

If it turns out to be good I will see it, but I am super skeptical...

Just did a quick glance since reading reviews isn't my favorite strategy for avoiding spoilers (I love the "God bless Ryan Reynolds for trying" opener). I thought those would be direct counterpoints to the pre-emptive haters I was referring to, but these guys have actually seen it. I'm still going to make every effort to enjoy it, so we'll see. However, I'm not as invested in it as I am the Avengers franchise (for which I'm a wholesale mark), so I'll have a decent chance of being able to admit that it's horrible, if it comes to that.

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:03 pm 
Godzilla

abstraction wrote:

The objections you keep hearing aren't necessarily about whether Ryan Reynolds has done any good movies. I actually like him, in general, but from what little I know of Hal Jordan, my top casting criterion would not be comedic timing. He'd probably make an okay Guy Gardner, if he'd let them eff up his face and hair a bit.

even more than guy, ryan would have made a good kyle rayner. he's younger, a wiseass, and a looker. that's his character. he would have made a GREAT "the Flash!" either barry or wally. again, the comedy is in the forefront of those characters. but hal jordan? he's supposed to be a little bit older than the other heroes, a test pilot, cocky but self-depreciating, grizzled & weathered (like a test pilot's supposed to be) and determined to come out on top. only one guy should have had that role, he knows it, i know it, the entire nerd-portion of the internet knew it, and hell even bruce timm at DCanimated knew it, cuz after he didn't get the movie he became the voice of hal/GL in the animated movie. and that perfect fit for the role? firefly's own capt. mal: nathan fillion. damn near every role he's pegged sounds exactly like the above description of GL, and ferfuxsake dude looks just like hal. (don't even ask me to justify that haircut ryan's rocking for a "superhero)

abstraction wrote:
I'm very curious to see the costume now that B/S called it an "insult," but my current stance on GL, as it is with most comic movies, is how bad can it really be? There were a laundry list of faults that could be found in X3 and Wolverine, but I still enjoyed parts of them. Maybe I'll feel differently tomorrow.

first off, after watching the 2hour abortion that was x3, why on earth would you watch xmo:wolvie? that's a movie that i'm sure i'll go to my eternal reward without ever having had to experience. **shudder**

second off, the suit:

why are there fucking stretch-marks all over the suit?!?! glowing radioactive stretch marks?!?!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:45 pm 
King Ghidorah

Nathan Fillion had an excellent bit in Super. This about sums it up...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:30 pm 
King Ghidorah

I saw Tree of Life. That counts as a summer film, right?

my review :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:55 pm 
Godzilla

i watched paul the other night

it was cute

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:56 pm 
Godzilla

freal though it wasnt bad

well

it was watchable

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:07 pm 
Donewaiting Comfest Commitee Liaison

I saw that new X-Men: First Class joint. Won't spoil the highlight/lowlights but if you dig/ understand X-Men I would say you gotta see it. There are defintely some ugh/howthefuckcanyoumesswiththatcharacter grumbling but cool flick nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Finally saw Super 8. Loved it. The ending was a bit sappy but when the focus is kids you knew it was gonna be that way.

Excited for Captain America...

but my summer movie list is the lowest it's been since forever.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:51 pm 
Godzilla

Adam Smith wrote:
Nathan Fillion had an excellent bit in Super. This about sums it up...

That's awesome. I love Nathan Fillion.