C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cleveland Browns 2010
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:05 pm 
Godzilla

DeVille wrote:
bnb614 wrote:
At least Holmgren didn't hire himself as head coach.

What would be so bad about hiring a coach that took two teams to the Super Bowl?

Well if he were to coach and they were to win it would eliminate a big part of the typical Cleveland sports fan's day which complaining about EVERYTHING.

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:12 am 
Godzilla

dude, if we had 2 super bowls in the last 5 years, you probably wouldnt hear apeep from us for 50. Mainly because we'd probably burn 3/4's of the midwest down in the delirious drunken celebration

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:15 pm 
Godzilla

I get it. But you guys are in better shape than the Bengals.

Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:46 pm 
King Ghidorah

coydog wrote:
I get it. But you guys are in better shape than the Bengals.

no

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:13 pm 
Jet Jaguar

As a Lions fan, I understand your pain. But your recent moves have left me feeling sorry for your future.

Why the hell did you get rid of Rob Ryan? I know he isn't supposedly his father or brother, but come on. The defense looked much better to me then it had in years. Many games they got turnovers that the offense was unable to capitalize on. It was a young defense and if given another year or two could've come together to be a legit contender. Dallas couldn't move fast enough to grab him. And now no one wants to go to Cleveland. There is a rumor of Dave Wannstedt coming to Cleveland... really?

I also don't think Mangini did a terrible job. Things don't happen overnight. Another year of good draft picks, some off season moves, and actually sticking with a quarterback and you were on your way. No one expected Colt to star, but he did, and he did well for the most part. Oh Browns, why do you shoot yourself in the foot year after year?

Well... at least you're not Cinci.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:42 pm 
King Ghidorah

SpruceCampbell wrote:

says the Lion's fan :naughty:

I don't understand why people are saying the Browns are better off than Cinci? :sick:
at least we won the AFC North last year (and yes that's about all we've done, but it's still more than what the brown's have done recently)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:26 pm 
Godzilla

catphish007 wrote:
SpruceCampbell wrote:

I don't understand why people are saying the Browns are better off than Cinci? :sick:
at least we won the AFC North last year (and yes that's about all we've done, but it's still more than what the brown's have done recently)

Start at the top. Bad owner, no scouts, spineless coach. They have some talent at receiver but they are either old or constantly upset. Worthless running back and a quarterback who is one more bad year away from being considered a flop. Decent defense when healthy but they are asked to do too much. I don't see a major turnaround coming.

The Browns have a good defense, a solid line on both sides of the ball and a developing d secondary. They have Holmgren who doesn't lose for long calling the shots. Mangini wasn't horrible but he didn't fit the scheme and wasn't going to change. Pretty sure Ryan just left for a better job but I could be wrong. Give this team some receivers (read: playmakers) and they will be tough.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:28 pm 
Godzilla

Ryan 3-4
Schurmer: 4-3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:18 am 
Jet Jaguar

catphish007 wrote:

Yeah I know I don't have much room to talk as a Lion's fan. The difference this time is my team is on the up and up. Our 3rd string QB won as many games as your beloved Carson Palmer. We should have been 8-8 minimum (That was a catch versus the Bears, I don't care what the rule book say. And when you are up 10 with 4 minutes left and have the ball... well you shouldn't lose). Not to mention almost all of our losses were by 4 points or less. We are young and need to be able to protect Stafford. But for the first time, I actually feel hope.

I also think the Browns were/are on the right path. Holmgren won't let them fail. They will at least become playoff viable.

Now for the Bungles. My roommate is the worlds biggest Bengals homer. He once woke me up to tell me an off-season tweat by Ochocinco, seriously. This same Homer told me Carson was a Top 5-10 QB in the NFL, and you could tell he actually believed this. After two years ago he had big hopes for their Defense. Said they would be a Top 3 Defense this past year. I bet him $100 the Jets would have a better D and I didn't care what category he picked. He has since paid up. Needless to say I felt a bit of Schadenfreude as I watched his beloved team fail over and over. Carson felt he "had to throw to big names TO and Ochocinco every game" wah wah, and that didn't work. Sure TO had a great year, I will give him that. But I don't know where to begin with this team.

They can't run the ball like they did last year? Not sure what changed, but Benson spent most games looking flat. Now I know the Defense was hurt but that happens to lots of teams and you have to make do. Next, Carson's backup is his brother. Hands down the worst backup in the NFL. Only Lebron has pulled off something that gross within an organization. I know you love your brother, but come on. And why was Dan Lefevour never given a chance? At the end of the year, or in a blow out, why not try the kid out? As of now, you don't have much of a future QB outside him. He looked good in college and I was excited to see him on the Bengals. But he got zero playing time. Carsons getting old. Hasn't been right in a few years since the injury. I think his thumb is still an issue. The receiving core is about to change, again.

I don't know. The Bengals just seem like a side show. They need to get rid of TO and Ocho and start running like the Patriots (Wes Welker you are forgiven, that was hillarious). They never looked like a team, and that's what wins games. I would love to see an Ohio team do well, but I don't see the Bengals suddenly getting better next year. I think they are another 2-4 win team.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:17 pm 
Godzilla

http://www.cleveland.com/wfny/index.ssf ... ntity.html

Quote:
When Cleveland finally wins a championship, the entire city will need to do some soul searching about who they are as sports fans.
It will be a really pleasant identity crisis, but it will be an identity crisis nonetheless. How will we ever be able to reconcile the “doomed-to-disappointed” lifestyle that we have rightfully earned with … gasp … a championship?
It won’t be easy.

Don’t get me wrong. I will not complain if and when it happens. I would love nothing more than to watch that dreadful, boilerplate montage of Cleveland sports failures playing one last time in the waning moments of some sporting event that a Cleveland team is inevitably going to win.
Just imagine the Browns kneeling out a 14-point Superbowl lead. Imagine the Cavs leading the NBA finals 3-0 with a 14-point lead and under a minute to go in the game. Imagine the Indians with a seven-run lead as they bring in their closer in a deciding Game Four or Five.

Sure, it will be scary as “The Shot,” “The Drive,” “The Fumble,” etc. are flashing across that screen, tempting us into thinking that the inevitable victory is anything but. But this is precisely why we will struggle so much after the fact.

If our “sports misery” truly was misery by its most traditional definition, we wouldn’t be sports fans anymore. In the sports world as we have learned over the years, sports misery can become a badge of honor. The hard-headed refusal to stop rooting begins to define a fan base as just a little bit too crazy to be messed with. Browns fans clearly have this image throughout the country.

I lived in Boston in the late 90’s and saw it with my own eyes. The city of Boston went from being a cursed city to title town in a hurry. The Pats started it off with a Superbowl victory to cap off the 2001 NFL season and followed it up with two more in 2003 and 2004. The crown jewel of Boston sports, the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 and 2007 to stop Yankees’ fans chants of 1918 denoting the last Red Sox World Series win. To cap it all off, the Celtics won an NBA Championship in 2008.

Before that, however, the drought was long. Very long. Not "Cleveland" long, but long enough that the fans had a tough time dealing with the loss of their sad sack identity created by Bill Buckner and the Curse of The Bambino. The rest of the sports universe goes from pitying you, to being happy for you, to hating you for being so spoiled if your good fortune lasts too long.

Can you imagine good fortune lasting “too long” from the perspective of outsiders?

Imagine it though. Maybe we will never have to teach our kids the meaning of the word "curse" other than what we do to Steelers fans. Maybe we can teach our kids to be confident, expect to win and have a swagger that we loathe in all those Yankees fans that find their way to Cleveland every season. Maybe our kids won’t dread big games because they expect the worst by force of habit.

Wouldn’t it be nice? Won’t it be nice? It will be nice.

Sorry. Just had to try it on for a second.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:52 pm 
Godzilla

Cleaning house

The Browns cut six veterans, which include tight end Robert Royal, offensive tackle John St. Clair, defensive linemen Shaun Rogers and Kenyon Coleman and linebackers David Bowens and Eric Barton. Most were considered favorites of former Browns head coach Eric Mangini.