blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Comfest 2010
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:34 pm 
Mothra

DeVille wrote:

A poor review for a free music festival where you saw 8 bands that you really enjoyed?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:46 pm 
Snarf

Tristannus wrote:
Aperture was ok. I love that band, but I love them more when the lights are off. Same with The Phantods. It's amazing how much you realize "rocking out" is very relative, and pretty stupid. When you see guys with overgrown beards and beer bellies "rocking out" in the unflattering light of day it's very, decidedly, non-magical. I mean, but I'm of the opinion: if you still hold on to enough to enough ego to be in a rock band, then hold on to enough ego to fucking take care of yourself and stay away from the fucking fried food and cheap beer.

Now would be the time to ask Tristan if he enjoyed the Flotation Walls set???

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:29 am 
Godzilla

DeVille wrote:

who would of made the schedule less "mediocre"?

(edited, nice one abs, kudos :oops: )

Last edited by Intercontinental C's on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:36 am 
Godzilla

Spine of Teeth wrote:
DeVille wrote:

who would of made the schedule less "medicore"????

I guess removing Mount Carmel would've helped reduce the medical element. Was Doctor Rock also playing this year?

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:28 am 
Mechagodzilla

Spine of Teeth wrote:
who would of made the schedule less "mediocre"?1

Brainbow
Necropolis
The Kyle Sowashes
Guinea Worms
Alleyes Path
P. Blackk
The 3rd
Greenhouse
Envelope
Bridesmaid
Struck By Lightning
Saintseneca
Two Cow Garage
Karate Coyote
The Compressions (yeah, it's true)
Churches Burn
Time & Temperature
Maza Blaska
The Woozies
Way Yes
The Wet Darlings
Vug & the Stallions
Andrew Graham & Swarming Branch
MF Gnar
Eye
The Lindsay
Love Culture
Mors Ontologica
Lo-Pan
Christ
New Creases
Wing & Tusk
This Is My Suitcase
Tin Armor
Ghost Shirt
The Unholy 2
Fly.Union
Times New Viking
Psychedelic Horseshit
St. Moses the Black
Terribly Empty Pockets
Rosehips
The Jellyhearts
The Thrashers
The Black Swans
Melty Melty
Bookmobile
Speed Governor
The Beatdowns
Vespin
Outer Spacist
Before the Eyewall
Orchestraville
Hurt People Hurt People
Savage Pinkos
Steamboat
Lemia Belus
El Jesus reunion
etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:31 am 
King Ghidorah

Spine of Teeth wrote:
DeVille wrote:

I'm going to have to defend Deville here. While I had a great time working the Off-Ramp on Saturday -- the slate of Monolithic Cloud Parade/Old Worlds/Historians/Wild Goose/Peach District/Trains Across the Sea was beyond mediocre. Downright awful. I think I heard more worthless covers last weekend than I did quality original music. Leave the violins at home.

The biggest crime was giving Wild Goose and the Peach District "collectives" two solid hours to do whatever they wanted -- instead this could have been filled with two deserving bands to keep some semblance of rock on that stage. What we got were spiels about why these "collectives" deserved to be on that stage, bad folk, failed flash mobs, karaoke, extremely unfunny (hipster mocking) comedy, and more spiels about all the "amazing" things they do that deserve more notice in Columbus. Let's just say it was neither "wild" nor "creative." Not that I have anything against what these people do on the reg, as their "collectives" do a great deal for the "indie arts" community -- just don't attempt to entertain us anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:38 am 
Godzilla

DeVille wrote:
Spine of Teeth wrote:

Brainbow
Necropolis
The Kyle Sowashes
Guinea Worms
Alleyes Path
P. Blackk
The 3rd
Greenhouse
Envelope
Bridesmaid
Struck By Lightning
Saintseneca
Two Cow Garage
Karate Coyote
Churches Burn
Time & Temperature
Maza Blaska
The Woozies
Way Yes
The Wet Darlings
Vug & the Stallions
MF Gnar
Eye
The Lindsay
Love Culture
Mors Ontologica
Lo-Pan
Christ
New Creases
Wing & Tusk
This Is My Suitcase
Tin Armor
Ghost Shirt
The Unholy 2
Fly.Union
Times New Viking
Psychedelic Horseshit
St. Moses the Black
Terribly Empty Pockets
Rosehips
The Jellyhearts
The Thrashers
The Black Swans
Melty Melty
Bookmobile
Speed Governor
The Beatdowns
Vespin
Outer Spacist
Before the Eyewall
Orchestraville
Hurt People Hurt People
Savage Pinkos
Steamboat
Lemia Belus
El Jesus reunion
etc.

I guess if you spent more time helping, and less time bitching you'd know how many of these bands actually applied, and you also would have been able to help get more of them on the stages.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:46 am 
Mechagodzilla

Wumme Wenders wrote:
Spine of Teeth wrote:
DeVille wrote:

I'm going to have to defend Deville here. While I had a great time working the Off-Ramp on Saturday -- the slate of Monolithic Cloud Parade/Old Worlds/Historians/Wild Goose/Peach District/Trains Across the Sea was beyond mediocre. Downright awful. I think I heard more worthless covers last weekend than I did quality original music. Leave the violins at home.

The biggest crime was giving Wild Goose and the Peach District "collectives" two solid hours to do whatever they wanted -- instead this could have been filled with two deserving bands to keep some semblance of rock on that stage. What we got were spiels about why these "collectives" deserved to be on that stage, bad folk, failed flash mobs, karaoke, extremely unfunny (hipster mocking) comedy, and more spiels about all the "amazing" things they do that deserve more notice in Columbus. Let's just say it was neither "wild" nor "creative." Not that I have anything against what these people do on the reg, as their "collectives" do a great deal for the "indie arts" community -- just don't attempt to entertain us anymore.

seriously, more Do Chimps BAttle? less preaching from the pul-pitt :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:47 am 
Mothra

Wumme Wenders wrote:
Let's just say it was neither "wild" nor "creative."

hehe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:53 am 
Godzilla

DeVille wrote:
Spine of Teeth wrote:

Brainbow
Necropolis
The Kyle Sowashes
Guinea Worms
Alleyes Path
P. Blackk
The 3rd
Greenhouse
Envelope
Bridesmaid
Struck By Lightning
Saintseneca
Two Cow Garage
Karate Coyote
Churches Burn
Time & Temperature
Maza Blaska
The Woozies
Way Yes
The Wet Darlings
Vug & the Stallions
MF Gnar
Eye
The Lindsay
Love Culture
Mors Ontologica
Lo-Pan
Christ
New Creases
Wing & Tusk
This Is My Suitcase
Tin Armor
Ghost Shirt
The Unholy 2
Fly.Union
Times New Viking
Psychedelic Horseshit
St. Moses the Black
Terribly Empty Pockets
Rosehips
The Jellyhearts
The Thrashers
The Black Swans
Melty Melty
Bookmobile
Speed Governor
The Beatdowns
Vespin
Outer Spacist
Before the Eyewall
Orchestraville
Hurt People Hurt People
Savage Pinkos
Steamboat
Lemia Belus
El Jesus reunion
etc.

wumme, I see where youre coming from

Deville, I appreciate your response . A few of those bands missed the deadline,a few didnt apply, a few have played several years running, a few have members in other bands who did play and im not sure a reunion for a break up that happened in the year is warranted

however it is good to see a member of the cbus music press is able to assemble that comprehensive of a list when called to task ( and glad to see you didnt shy away from adding your band/and or bands youre associated with to the list)

I had a blast at Comfest,

Outside of the bands I knew would be worth the while (ex whites, obviouslies, Mount Carmel day creeper etc)
the mooncussers and town monster were delightful surprises

heres to comfest '11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:54 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

no reason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:00 pm 
Mechagodzilla

redrabbit wrote:
I guess if you spent more time helping, and less time bitching you'd know how many of these bands actually applied, and you also would have been able to help get more of them on the stages.

Not bitching, just answering Spine of Teeth's question. So I didn't like the band selection this year. Big whoop. No need to get so defensive.

Spine of Teeth wrote:
Deville, I appreciate your response . A few of those bands missed the deadline,a few didnt apply, a few have played several years running, a few have members in other bands who did play and im not sure a reunion for a break up that happened in the year is warranted

however it is good to see a member of the cbus music press is able to assemble that comprehensive of a list when called to task ( and glad to see you didnt shy away from adding your band/and or bands youre associated with to the list)

Thanks for your gracious demeanor. Glad we could have this exchange.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 pm 
King Ghidorah

I had a great time as well. After Trains Across the Sea it was smooth sailing -- Flu Faker/DayCreeper/Mt. Carmel/Nick Tolford. Super Desserts on the Bozo was also a revelation of sorts.

I've always thought that Comfest, in addition to taking applications, should also actively seek out the best bands to make the line-ups more well-rounded. Or maybe even a stage that was curated all weekend by various Columbus Music Luminaries.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:05 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Wumme Wenders wrote:
I've always thought that Comfest, in addition to taking applications, should also actively seek out the best bands to make the line-ups more well-rounded. Or maybe even a stage that was curated all weekend by various Columbus Music Luminaries.

Actually they do some of this. For instance, Tolford has never applied for ComFest. According to Gabor, the applications are more to help the committee collect contact info and keep track of performance schedules so they can get out and see the bands.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:07 pm 
Godzilla

robertduffy wrote:
no reason

Quit gumming up the board!

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:23 pm 
Godzilla

DeVille wrote:
Wumme Wenders wrote:

Actually they do some of this. For instance, Tolford has never applied for ComFest. According to Gabor, the applications are more to help the committee collect contact info and keep track of performance schedules so they can get out and see the bands.

Total bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:27 pm 
Mechagodzilla

redrabbit wrote:
DeVille wrote:
Wumme Wenders wrote:

Total bullshit.

Well if it's bullshit, take it up with Gabor. I know Tolford didn't apply last year when he played Offramp Friday night, so it can't be TOTAL bullshit. The info that he didn't apply this year came from Gabor, so I can't corroborate that at the moment without checking with Nick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 pm 
King Ghidorah

I'm not getting in the middle of this. I just want a stage with all bands 100% approved by Ron House.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:39 pm 
Mothra

Wumme Wenders wrote:
I'm not getting in the middle of this. I just want a stage with all bands 100% approved by Ron House.

I'd enjoy a Ron House stage. He has enough bands/songs to fill a day at Comfest. Maybe get some Columbus bands to do some covers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:54 pm 
Godzilla

DeVille wrote:
Well if it's bullshit, take it up with Gabor. I know Tolford didn't apply last year when he played Offramp Friday night, so it can't be TOTAL bullshit. The info that he didn't apply this year came from Gabor, so I can't corroborate that at the moment without checking with Nick.

I put the application in myself both years so I actually can confirm it, Thanks.

This year, Mark said he would do it, and then quit before he got around to it so I was able to put it in past the deadline, only because there was a misunderstanding.

Gabor really doesn't have much to do with selection, and was not at the meeting where Tolford or the main stage was discussed this year.

You didn't sign a contract or anything did you? :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:57 pm 
Mechagodzilla

redrabbit wrote:
DeVille wrote:

I put the application in myself both years so I actually can confirm it, Thanks.

Don't that mean that Tolford didn't apply :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :shock: :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:58 pm 
Mechagodzilla

redrabbit wrote:
DeVille wrote:

This year, Mark said he would do it, and then quit before he got around to it so I was able to put it in past the deadline, only because there was a misunderstanding.

Gabor really doesn't have much to do with selection, and was not at the meeting where Tolford or the main stage was discussed this year.

That's fine, I'm glad to have the right info. So you're saying you filled out Tolford's application for him, or you processed his application? If you filled out and entered an application on his behalf, I would say that's more of a technicality and I'll stick to saying he has not applied. It's not like it's super scandalous.

I am seriously not trying to pick a fight or accuse anybody of anything, I am just trying to understand the process. I also don't understand your dig about the contract at the end of your post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:03 pm 
Mechagodzilla

DeVille wrote:
I also don't understand your dig about the contract at the end of your post.

lawyer jokes DeVil, lawyer jokes. :|

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 pm 
King Ghidorah

People...please...It's not even a week after Comfest 2010 wrapped. Have we lost the vibe already?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:22 pm 
Godzilla

DeVille wrote:
redrabbit wrote:
DeVille wrote:

That's fine, I'm glad to have the right info. So you're saying you filled out Tolford's application for him, or you processed his application? If you filled out and entered an application on his behalf, I would say that's more of a technicality and he has not applied.

I am seriously not trying to pick a fight or accuse anybody of anything, I am just trying to understand the process. I also don't understand your dig about the contract at the end of your post.

We will occasionally put in apps for people, it doesn't always mean that they will get in.

There seriously are some older acts that seriously do not know how to use a computer, or will not use one, so those always get entered for them. But everyone has an application. We were much more strict about it this year than ever. The deadline is April 15, but usually for about a week, we leave a little wiggle room, but we do have a hard deadline. If we enter an app after the deadline, it is usually be agreement of the committee, and only a few people can actually do it.

I talked to a member of Tolford during the "wiggle room" and found out what happened this year, and it really didn't seem fair that they wouldn't get to be considered. Everyone on the committee is human, and has a favorite or two that they will maybe pull a string or two for, but a lot less common than you think.

I say this again and again, please folks, if you like bitching about Comfest during June, think how much fun you'd have if you got involved. You get to do it all year long!!

Wrap up meeting for Entertainment is July 6. General Wrap up is July 7.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next