blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Comfest 2010
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:54 am 
King Ghidorah

Barely even noticed the cops then again I could care less about the police. I did watch someone doing a one hitter as if he was undercover. His attempts to hide the deed made it look more obvious. I then proceeded to arrest him.

On a serious note, every cop I saw was just chilling with the other cops lookin bored to death. The most work they probably did all weekend is when there was a car wreck on the 670 exit beside the off ramp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:41 am 
Godzilla

Cookie wrote:

The top pic is exactly the thing that a friend on the Safety crew had described to me, but I didn't notice it even when I was expecting to see it.
groundrules wrote:
I wasn't over that way too much, but I never noticed that thing at all. Official line is that there was a larger police presence as a deterrent, but I think that's kinda BS because there was an active undercover element as well. They were nabbing people for pot. Uniforms are for deterrent, undercover is for catching people so you can arrest them.

Crafty, eh? Reminds me of the speed trap where one patrol car parks in an obvious spot and another waits further down the road to bust the people who speed up once they pass the first.
bair_ohio wrote:
Barely even noticed the cops then again I could care less about the police. I did watch someone doing a one hitter as if he was undercover. His attempts to hide the deed made it look more obvious. I then proceeded to arrest him.

I noticed/thought about a few things like that out of natural curiosity, but I also didn't care because I wasn't planning on doing anything illegal, anyway. I'm of the unpopular opinion that it shouldn't be that difficult to avoid doing drugs in a public park. I managed to do it with relatively little effort, in fact. Here's how it worked:
  1. I woke up
  2. Showered
  3. Got dressed
  4. Grabbed my wallet, my phone, my keys
  5. Refrained from bringing illegal drugs
  6. Went to the park
  7. Comfested
  8. Exited the park
After I arrived at the park, I checked my hands and pockets occasionally, but nothing unusual had materialized.

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:52 am 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

abstraction wrote:
I'm of the unpopular opinion that it shouldn't be that difficult to avoid doing drugs in a public park. I managed to do it with relatively little effort, in fact. Here's how it worked:
  1. I woke up
  2. Showered
  3. Got dressed
  4. Grabbed my wallet, my phone, my keys
  5. Refrained from bringing illegal drugs
  6. Went to the park
  7. Comfested
  8. Exited the park
After I arrived at the park, I checked my hands and pockets occasionally, but nothing unusual had materialized.

I blame Jill Ebenezer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:53 am 
Mechagodzilla

abstraction wrote:
I also didn't care because I wasn't planning on doing anything illegal, anyway. .

maybe you should put that on a sign or a t-shirt and when you do get snipped for something you can reference that sign?

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:50 am 
Mechagodzilla

BillyCool wrote:
Merkin Muffley wrote:
thisoneholymedium wrote:
what and how well

McChrystal Blue Persuasion

I heard Tommy James' mom wrote "My Baby Does the Hanky Panky".

?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:05 pm 
Godzilla

Ramirez wrote:
abstraction wrote:
I also didn't care because I wasn't planning on doing anything illegal, anyway. .

maybe you should put that on a sign or a t-shirt and when you do get snipped for something you can reference that sign?

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I infer from all the emoticons that this was meant to be some sort of sarcasm, but I'm really not getting it. Are you trying to say that cops were hassling people at the park who weren't doing anything? Or that cops, in general, are likely to do that? If it's the latter, I've been pulled over for Driving While Being Black. It's not fun. It did not, however, bring me to the conclusion that all cops need to be killed or whatever it is we're supposed to do to fix "the system."
In any case, my earlier post wasn't about being absolutely fearless of police at all times. We're talking about a cordoned-off area with well-published expectations. There's a big difference between being victimized by abuse of authority and bitching about the inconvenience of not being allowed to break specific laws. Of course, I'm being selfish, in the sense that I don't care about rules that don't affect me, but one might also be considered selfish for demanding that all precautions be removed just to be able to actively get high in public.

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:47 pm 
Mechagodzilla

abstraction wrote:
all cops need to be killed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:02 pm 
Mechagodzilla

abstraction wrote:
Ramirez wrote:
abstraction wrote:

I infer from all the emoticons that this was meant to be some sort of sarcasm, but I'm really not getting it. Are you trying to say that cops were hassling people at the park who weren't doing anything? Or that cops, in general, are likely to do that? If it's the latter, I've been pulled over for Driving While Being Black. It's not fun. It did not, however, bring me to the conclusion that all cops need to be killed or whatever it is we're supposed to do to fix "the system."
In any case, my earlier post wasn't about being absolutely fearless of police at all times. We're talking about a cordoned-off area with well-published expectations. There's a big difference between being victimized by abuse of authority and bitching about the inconvenience of not being allowed to break specific laws. Of course, I'm being selfish, in the sense that I don't care about rules that don't affect me, but one might also be considered selfish for demanding that all precautions be removed just to be able to actively get high in public.

Police in a park with guns, lots of guns. rules that don't affect you until they do...if a cop can pull you over for being black I'm pretty sure they can cuff you up for 'smoking drugs' while being black: can you prove that you didn't just throw the joint on the lawn? I can go on and on but the larger point is that the apathy linked to "I don't do illegal things" is misguided. more police with guns during a community get-together because a kid that was suicideal prior to stabbing himself is nothing but creating more potential for harm to innocent people and has nothing to do with hassle. I don't get high in public parks (anymore) and it sure as hell bothers me...bothers me all the same as you being pulled over while driving black...and I'm white. I guess I should be :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:05 pm 
Godzilla

Ramirez wrote:
Police in a park with guns, lots of guns. rules that don't affect you until they do...if a cop can pull you over for being black I'm pretty sure they can cuff you up for 'smoking drugs' while being black: can you prove that you didn't just throw the joint on the lawn? I can go on and on but the larger point is that the apathy linked to "I don't do illegal things" is misguided. more police with guns during a community get-together because a kid that was suicideal prior to stabbing himself is nothing but creating more potential for harm to innocent people and has nothing to do with hassle.

Fair enough. I agree that my apathy is potentially short-sighted, but I simply don't share the same emotional sense of fear that more police will necessarily produce more injustice. I didn't notice anything different about the activities at this year's ComFest™ than in other years that I've been or any other outdoor concert, for that matter. I wasn't witness to any enforcement, and I never got the sense that anyone even did more than glance at me (other than a plain-clothes guy talking into a walkie, but I had stopped very close to his position under a sweet shade tree, and I was already trying to puzzle out his vibe before I saw the walkie). I attribute that lack of fear primarily to the fact that I wouldn't need to hide anything. But I also have a hard time thinking of the police as a malevolent entity instead of a bunch of people who wouldn't want to have to deal with the headache of scouring the trees for kids and trying to load up the paddy wagon with false arrests.

Quote:
I don't get high in public parks (anymore) and it sure as hell bothers me...bothers me all the same as you being pulled over while driving black...and I'm white. I guess I should be :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Some people think that experiencing discrimination is the worst part about being a person of color, but really it's such a huge bummer that I won't able to match that level of selflessness until someone makes another rape joke. :pray:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:28 pm 
Snarf

stucco jones had a great set. so did mt carmel. off ramp was sounding goooooooooddddd.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:43 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Jill Ebenezer is the official donewaiting Comfest liason, so until we hear from him I can't believe anything anyone has said.

I expect a full report soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:06 pm 
Snarf

Tristannus wrote:
Rushed the fuck out of my place to see Jenny Mae......I'm glad I did. What I saw has nothing to do with how I view her and what she did in the 90's. I have her album and that's all I need.

Town Monster was actually good. Carnival-rock...yes. But decidedly less so today. "The Shine" and I think the song after it were fucking awesome.

Went to Gazebo to see Lydia Loveless, arrived early and got to see some girl playing acoustic guitar by herself, very rudimentary, covering MGMT's "Kids." It was so awful and so heartfelt that I was totally confused on how I should feel at the given moment. Then I realized that most evil is really heartfelt. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :boohoo:

Aperture was ok. I love that band, but I love them more when the lights are off. Same with The Phantods. It's amazing how much you realize "rocking out" is very relative, and pretty stupid. When you see guys with overgrown beards and beer bellies "rocking out" in the unflattering light of day it's very, decidedly, non-magical. I mean, but I'm of the opinion: if you still hold on to enough to enough ego to be in a rock band, then hold on to enough ego to fucking take care of yourself and stay away from the fucking fried food and cheap beer.

I'm looking forward to Saturday. Great bands most of the day, and I can't drink because I'm playing later on afterwards. Sunglasses on. Conversation off.

This comment was brought to my attention and out of love and respect for my bandmates, as well as sensitivity to this issue in general, I felt like I wanted to respond.

One of the problems with the music spectators of today is that people are way too critical of how musicians look. They are already judging them for the way they sound and the music they create but there is such an obsession with this idea of perfection. This allows the artist very little room to be human. Wouldn't you rather music come from a place that is real and raw and relatable? And don't get me wrong, I am no less at fault. I at times obsess over the way I'm perceived and some days take a long time getting ready for shows, for fear of being judged in those moments when I am already at my most vulnerable: on stage performing in front of people. In front of the spectators. 

Now, I'd like to think that you don't maliciously point things out like this, these "non-magical" opinions. But I still think it would be nice if people were more sensitive to the fact that just because we may be pursuing something that is drawing a lot of attention towards us, we are not any less sensitive to how these opinions effect us. My musical ambitions have very little to do with the desire to be in front of people, but instead has everything to do with the fact that I feel that I am meant to be doing this. And doing this also means that we are on display.

I was never in a band until I reached my twenties, but even when I wasn't in the public eye people always had an opinion on my body, usually to tell me that I was fat or more recently some have even told me I am too thin in comparison to what they were used to seeing me as. I bring this up because while I may not be the one on display in your comment, this could very well be about me in the future and nothing protects me from that. The bottom line is that you can't please everyone, a lot of women find overgrown beards sexy, and I'm offended that you think music is about having a rock ego that keeps you svelte and perfect. Because everyone knows rock is about perfection.

Who wants to join me for some fried chicken and a PBR? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:11 pm 
Jet Jaguar

dont worry gretchen we all have tristan on ignore.

phantods rock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:20 pm 
King Ghidorah

Donkey Kong wrote:
dont worry gretchen we all have tristan on ignore.

phantods rock

I have everyone on ignore.

Phantods kick ass.

As a not very skinny guy with a beard, I would be happy to have Gretchen champion this cause.

http://billycoolandthewhips.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:44 pm 
Godzilla

there were lawyers babysitting cops babysitting comfesters

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:11 pm 
Mechagodzilla

If it matters, I'd like to talk a little more about the music, especially a few bands I saw on Sunday. As I told Todd May about his new band, the Mooncussers, they fill the hole in my heart that the Lilybandits left when they broke up. Not even a thunderstorm after the fourth song could stop them for long. One of the absolute highlights of Comfest for me. I also thought that Righteous Buck and the Skull Scorchers had a really good set. If they're like a bit like the Rev. Horton Heat, as I heard from at least one guy, they're at least a Reverend HH I can get behind, as opposed to the actual guy I can't.

From all the reports I heard, it sounds like I made the right call just going on Friday and Sunday, as those times were the most like the Comfest I know and love. I would have loved to have seen some of the Saturday bands, but I'll be damned if I'm going to put up with nuts-to-butts crowds to do it. Call me cranky and old...

I'll join the folks who said that Offramp had great sound. Hell, even the Gazebo sounded good when I saw the Randys there on Sunday...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 pm 
Donewaiting Comfest Commitee Liaison

I nabbed no perps because working as a part time narco armed only with a squirt gun filled with morphine seemed real wack. Those cops wouldn't even let me turn on the siren on the CPD Segway or shoot at the undercovers wearing bullet proof drug rugs in an attempt to keep them from blowing their cover (good idea, right?). Sorry to disappoint all those who wanted me to frisk them. Maybe during Red White and Boom?! Meet me in a toilet stall.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 pm 
Mechagodzilla

The day rock music becomes less about how awesome I look and more about what I play I am out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:17 pm 
King Ghidorah

Gretchen wrote:
Tristannus wrote:
Rushed the fuck out of my place to see Jenny Mae......I'm glad I did. What I saw has nothing to do with how I view her and what she did in the 90's. I have her album and that's all I need.

Town Monster was actually good. Carnival-rock...yes. But decidedly less so today. "The Shine" and I think the song after it were fucking awesome.

Went to Gazebo to see Lydia Loveless, arrived early and got to see some girl playing acoustic guitar by herself, very rudimentary, covering MGMT's "Kids." It was so awful and so heartfelt that I was totally confused on how I should feel at the given moment. Then I realized that most evil is really heartfelt. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :boohoo:

Aperture was ok. I love that band, but I love them more when the lights are off. Same with The Phantods. It's amazing how much you realize "rocking out" is very relative, and pretty stupid. When you see guys with overgrown beards and beer bellies "rocking out" in the unflattering light of day it's very, decidedly, non-magical. I mean, but I'm of the opinion: if you still hold on to enough to enough ego to be in a rock band, then hold on to enough ego to fucking take care of yourself and stay away from the fucking fried food and cheap beer.

I'm looking forward to Saturday. Great bands most of the day, and I can't drink because I'm playing later on afterwards. Sunglasses on. Conversation off.

This comment was brought to my attention and out of love and respect for my bandmates, as well as sensitivity to this issue in general, I felt like I wanted to respond.

One of the problems with the music spectators of today is that people are way too critical of how musicians look. They are already judging them for the way they sound and the music they create but there is such an obsession with this idea of perfection. This allows the artist very little room to be human. Wouldn't you rather music come from a place that is real and raw and relatable? And don't get me wrong, I am no less at fault. I at times obsess over the way I'm perceived and some days take a long time getting ready for shows, for fear of being judged in those moments when I am already at my most vulnerable: on stage performing in front of people. In front of the spectators. 

Now, I'd like to think that you don't maliciously point things out like this, these "non-magical" opinions. But I still think it would be nice if people were more sensitive to the fact that just because we may be pursuing something that is drawing a lot of attention towards us, we are not any less sensitive to how these opinions effect us. My musical ambitions have very little to do with the desire to be in front of people, but instead has everything to do with the fact that I feel that I am meant to be doing this. And doing this also means that we are on display.

I was never in a band until I reached my twenties, but even when I wasn't in the public eye people always had an opinion on my body, usually to tell me that I was fat or more recently some have even told me I am too thin in comparison to what they were used to seeing me as. I bring this up because while I may not be the one on display in your comment, this could very well be about me in the future and nothing protects me from that. The bottom line is that you can't please everyone, a lot of women find overgrown beards sexy, and I'm offended that you think music is about having a rock ego that keeps you svelte and perfect. Because everyone knows rock is about perfection.

Hm....I thought I clarified that I wasn't really talking about your band as far the overweight/bearded thing goes. I don't even really remember what anyone in your band looks like beyond you.

It was shitty wording, I'll admit. But all I was saying about you guys is that it was the first time I saw your outside of a nightclub setting where you guys always looked really cool with all the lights and aura that a club provides. Every show is different under the glare of the sun. I prefer darker settings. Like I said in my previous post, I should have a put a paragraph break between your band and "overweight guys with beards." I was going on a different tangent...

I dig your band alot so I hope you don't automatically go on the defensive with that comment. It really wasn't about you guys..

As far as visual presentation, however....I understand what you mean about "real and raw" and plain being more important than spectacularly fake. But, "real and raw" is really just what an individual perceives it to be. What some might think is real rocknroll I might think is simple mediocre posturing. While some might think the simple act of turning up your amp and singing poorly into the mic is the essence of rock, I might think they're just lazy and too boring to do anything else.

A skinny guy in tight jeans and eyeliner might be a pretentious asshole, but a guy in sandals, an oversized tshirt and a beer belly could be just as much of an asshole. A dude's lack of trying is usually just as ridiculous as a dude trying too hard. It's the same thing. Refraining moderately from consumption never did anyone any harm. Refraining too much or barely at all usually does.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:15 am 
Mechagodzilla

Tristannus wrote:
[
A skinny guy in tight jeans and eyeliner might be a pretentious asshole

i was NOT wearing jeans.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:18 am 
Godzilla

Tristannus wrote:
Gretchen wrote:
Tristannus wrote:

Hm....I thought I clarified that I wasn't really talking about your band as far the overweight/bearded thing goes. I don't even really remember what anyone in your band looks like beyond you.

It was shitty wording, I'll admit. But all I was saying about you guys is that it was the first time I saw your outside of a nightclub setting where you guys always looked really cool with all the lights and aura that a club provides. Every show is different under the glare of the sun. I prefer darker settings. Like I said in my previous post, I should have a put a paragraph break between your band and "overweight guys with beards." I was going on a different tangent...

I dig your band alot so I hope you don't automatically go on the defensive with that comment. It really wasn't about you guys..

As far as visual presentation, however....I understand what you mean about "real and raw" and plain being more important than spectacularly fake. But, "real and raw" is really just what an individual perceives it to be. What some might think is real rocknroll I might think is simple mediocre posturing. While some might think the simple act of turning up your amp and singing poorly into the mic is the essence of rock, I might think they're just lazy and too boring to do anything else.

A skinny guy in tight jeans and eyeliner might be a pretentious asshole, but a guy in sandals, an oversized tshirt and a beer belly could be just as much of an asshole. A dude's lack of trying is usually just as ridiculous as a dude trying too hard. It's the same thing. Refraining moderately from consumption never did anyone any harm. Refraining too much or barely at all usually does.

just quoting for prosperity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:22 am 
Godzilla

"prosperity"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:40 am 
Mechagodzilla

Tristannus wrote:
When you see guys with overgrown beards and beer bellies "rocking out" in the unflattering light of day it's very, decidedly, non-magical. I mean, but I'm of the opinion: if you still hold on to enough to enough ego to be in a rock band, then hold on to enough ego to fucking take care of yourself and stay away from the fucking fried food and cheap beer.

i don't expect you to get this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:08 am 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

Tristannus wrote:
Gretchen wrote:
Tristannus wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, Tristannus.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:20 am 
Mothra

justin wrote:
Tristannus wrote:
When you see guys with overgrown beards and beer bellies "rocking out" in the unflattering light of day it's very, decidedly, non-magical. I mean, but I'm of the opinion: if you still hold on to enough to enough ego to be in a rock band, then hold on to enough ego to fucking take care of yourself and stay away from the fucking fried food and cheap beer.

i don't expect you to get this.

Holy smokes, you nailed it with those pics. Those 2 chubby, bearded guys changed my life. So did this one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next