[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - should live sound always get paid?

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: should live sound always get paid?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:06 pm 
Mothra

Yes, a miracle. And a damn shame, depending on how you look at it. I wish more places operated like that. However, in Columbus, it's an anomaly. I hate when people make a point using an anomaly.
Yeah, most bands show up right before they play and whatnot. My band is ALWAYS there before the sound guy... and we listen to the other bands. We're not there earlier so I can make a point in stupid arguments. We're early because I've learned that when something goes wrong, if you're there to stick up for yourself, you're less likely to be the one who gets screwed. It's the band who shows up ten minutes before they play that gets it. But even then, you're looking at about an hour to load in AND set up, and hour to play, then an hour to tear down and put shit back in the car. Maybe that's just us though. The sound system is stationary as well. It's not like the guy has to carry it all home with him.
There are places that charge $150 on a weekend. I can think of a few actually. And that math is assume you brought in 60 people for yourself. Maybe 10% of local bands here can do that. For the bands that bring 20-30, forget about it. They're lucky to split $100 at the end of the night.
I personally could count on one hand the number of times the sound guy beat us to the venue, and I know how long it really takes to tear down at the rehearsal space, load it in a car/trailer, unload it, set it up, use, tear it down, load it back in, and take it home. Not even to mention, flier-ing or otherwise promoting.
With few exceptions, bands at the lower level almost always get the shit end of the stick.

Maybe live sound should get a percentage? Would the soundguy population dry up here? Or would they just not work for crappy bands with no draw then? Should local venues up themselves up to allowing bands to bring their own soundguy? I still haven't heard anyone's thoughts on that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:29 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:49 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:40 pm 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:53 pm 
King Ghidorah

Hey cookie, how can I be this year's Frinship Farmer of the year, this year? It would look good in my resume, providing I don't become banned.

http://billycoolandthewhips.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 pm 
King Ghidorah

quit playing places that suck. There a quite a few out there that don't. Look around. Don't be afraid to say goodbye to High St.

And yes, shut the fuck up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:46 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:44 pm 
Mothra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:51 am 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:52 am 
Godzilla

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:38 pm 
King Ghidorah

I'm gonna bet that if there was a club that paid the sound from a percentage of what the band brought through the door, the quality of sound and attention to your mix will be directly related to how many people you bring in.

That situation is bad for everyone.

Live sound should always get paid. Pay directly impacts the quality of employee in most cases.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:39 pm 
Godzilla

I want a refund for this thread.

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:15 am 
Jet Jaguar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7