blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Here's the Comfest Schedule
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:13 am 
Godzilla

redrabbit wrote:
Steve McGann from Big Back 40 and Greenhorn both play on Sunday.

who's steve playing with these days?

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:33 am 
Mechagodzilla

christopher lasch wrote:
U ALL R FUCKING RETARDS
EVERYDAY OF YER LIVES :oops: :oops: :oops:

don't let the crass wording of this statement obscure it's truth :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Quote:
Quote:
do you remember where i parked my car
wouldn't you like to know

:lol: :lol: :wall: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:36 am 
Godzilla

greenhorn1 wrote:
redrabbit wrote:

Mooncussers and Matt Hoover. He was playing with Erica Carey, but not sure that he still is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:26 am 
Mothra

redrabbit wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:
redrabbit wrote:

Mooncussers and Matt Hoover. He was playing with Erica Carey, but not sure that he still is.

He's not. But he *is* kicking ass with Peloton Records, trying to create a network of bands in C'bus. He's generally one of the most enthusiastic local music fans out there...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:30 am 
Mothra

groundrules wrote:
you really have no idea with whom you've engaged in this topic, do you?

Careful, groundrules. Anonymity is a beautiful thing.... : )
(or, whatever semblance of it there can be on this thing.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:37 am 
Godzilla

TedFromRustmoth wrote:
Also, I know people say ComFest is not *just* about the music, but that's sure what 98% of the hype is about. Not "will this or that stall be there" or "What fringe religious group or political group will have a funny stand people go to and stare at" or "will there or will there not be elephant ears", but the music is the hype.

+1
Though I may not be using this quote in the way that Ted intended, I would like to make an observation about what just happened here. Between the bitterness of those that did not make it in and the modesty of those that did, some basic truths are being obscured. Whether or not ComFest™ is just about the music, it is about the music. Any one of us would perform there because it does mean something, and that has nothing to do with a tangible opportunity. It is, in itself, an accomplishment that transcends "stardom." It's being part of a bigger moment that will connect with all the other years, past and future.

Blammo is, of course, correct that you should moderate your expectations of the actual experience. But you don't have to justify feeling excited.

Quote:
Basically, I just don't get it. I reiterate, I liked the Offramp stage as more indie/alt rock, I always felt the big stage was not the best place for those bands, soundwise, and I always felt it showed sort of a generation gap. I am, therefore, a bitter bastard or something. :wink:

Fair enough. I prefer to think of it as a sign of progress. The potential for indie/alt to gain larger audiences or be acknowledged as a large "draw."

suebee wrote:
groundrules wrote:
you really have no idea with whom you've engaged in this topic, do you?

Careful, groundrules. Anonymity is a beautiful thing.... : )

:think: Are you that girl from the Blind Melon videos?

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 am 
Mothra

abstraction wrote:
Are you that girl from the Blind Melon videos?

close enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:49 am 
Godzilla

suebee wrote:
abstraction wrote:
Are you that girl from the Blind Melon videos?

close enough.

Joan Jett?

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:52 am 
Mothra

Ethel Merman.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:56 am 
Godzilla

suebee wrote:
Ethel Merman.

I KNEW it. :doh:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:34 pm 
Godzilla

Comfest still has no corporate sponsorship, correct?

The idea that it is not a commercial for anything is pretty cool.

To me, that right there makes it all-around better than those "other festivals."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:45 pm 
Donewaiting Comfest Commitee Liaison

Last edited by jill ebenezer on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:31 pm 
Godzilla

Quote:
He's not. But he *is* kicking ass with Peloton Records, trying to create a network of bands in C'bus. He's generally one of the most enthusiastic local music fans out there...

I was getting the biggest kick out of watching him play and watch other bands a couple of weeks ago at Madlab. Steve's standing right in front of the mains blasting, his ears about 2 inches away from the speakers, with this plastered grin on his face for what seems like hours. I'm thinking, "This motherfu#$er is deaf, but, look how happy he is!". I still have a few drink chips he gave me Sunday night last year at Comfest. I'm sure he thought that I would've been able to use them all before the weekend ended.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:33 pm 
Snarf

abstraction wrote:
+1
Though I may not be using this quote in the way that Ted intended, I would like to make an observation about what just happened here. Between the bitterness of those that did not make it in and the modesty of those that did, some basic truths are being obscured. Whether or not ComFest™ is just about the music, it is about the music. Any one of us would perform there because it does mean something, and that has nothing to do with a tangible opportunity. It is, in itself, an accomplishment that transcends "stardom." It's being part of a bigger moment that will connect with all the other years, past and future.

Nah, you pretty much used my quote correctly.

Quote:
Fair enough. I prefer to think of it as a sign of progress. The potential for indie/alt to gain larger audiences or be acknowledged as a large "draw."

You have a point. The more people who hear ther Phantods and Main Street Gospel, the better. Good on 'em But to give a smattering of OffRamp type bands a shot at the big stage while simultaneously watering down the rawkness of the Offramp stage is what gets me. It's like "they" felt the offramp was becoming too big for its britches and needed taken down a notch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:41 pm 
Godzilla

redrabbit wrote:
just in general

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 pm 
Mechagodzilla

i can't believe i just read 5 pages of internet and no one mentioned me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:07 pm 
Snarf

Merkin Muffley wrote:
i can't believe i just read 5 pages of internet and no one mentioned me.

Mister President, we must not allow a hipster gap!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:20 pm 
Mothra

I once broke up with a girl because she liked comfest and I didn't. I joined her on a Saturday afternoon there, I got agoraphobia and went to Staches after about two hours. She came to my house around two am and puked on my floor. I broke up the next day.
I never enjoyed the festival mostly due to said agoraphobia and I also thought if you want to support local music then you see the bands every other weekday (end) of the year. During the "hey-day" of Columbus in the 1990's, the Turks, Cheater Slicks, Gaunt and Slave Apts were never asked to play until they had a "name", i.e. they were mentioned in a glossy magazine you could pick up at your local convenient store (Jenny Mae's first album was actually reviewed by Hustler). I never liked the politicking of local bands to play so I never went.
That being said, I think it is cool that people who have jobs or children that require them to be up at six am can go see free music, buy food and see how the other half lives once a year.
I tried to take my daughter a few years ago on a Sunday and some asshole was blowing weed discharge on us, so I decided it wasn't family friendly enough.
But, I have taken her to the parking lot blowout every year.
The idea that Comfest is a way to "break" a band is ludicrous but Columbus has a nice long history of supporting local acts from the Parking Lot Blowout, to the CDR cookout, Donewaiting stuff and back in the nineties we would do an Anyway Fest with some local and national acts whom we shared an affinity with (the Oblivians, Six Finger Satellite, Brother JT, Prisonshake and Bill Fox all played the fest at one time or another.)
Go, if you enjoy Comfest, don't go if you don't enjoy it. But please, don't bitch about it. It ends up just making you look insecure and whiny. The whole idea of being a part of the underground was because you don't need validation.
-Bela

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:26 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Lackluster wrote:
I fail to see the point in doing that if you'd rather stay at home.

IF U HATE COMFEST NOW JUST WAIT TIL YOU HAVE TO FUCKING PLAY IT EVERY YEAR :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: WHERE DID YOU PUT MY DRUM PEDAL, UNDER THE WHEEL OF THE VAN? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: GOOD THINK I HAVE A GIANT CUP OF BEER LEFT TO DRINK AFTER MY SET COS THE BEER TENT :doh: S CLOSED:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: OOPS WHO WAS THAT HIPPIE THAT KICKED IT OVER? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:24 am 
King Ghidorah

suebee wrote:
Ethel Merman.

:clap:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 am 
Godzilla

bela wrote:
I tried to take my daughter a few years ago on a Sunday and some asshole was blowing weed discharge on us, so I decided it wasn't family friendly enough.

Bela:

I am glad you brought this up. This has been a real concern of mine as well. Two years ago, some losers, high on something were pole dancing on the playground equipment right by the kids art area. Between that, the weed, and topless women, I refused to bring my kids to Comfest either. (Of course, the GPC acted like I was a big prude). I also know what it is like to have to park 10 blocks away and have to push a stroller all the way to the park. You and the kids are completely exhausted before you even get started. Lines are too long, and it is way too hot. I am always horrified that parents stick their kids in that big bouncy thing when it feels like it is 95 in the shade.

So, if you look, we have children's programming early. It wont be so hot and miserable, crowded, and you wont have to park so far away. You can get in, your kids can get their grove on, hang out in Kids Art, you can catch a band or two and be out of there before the hippies smoke their first bowl.

Page 24 of the program lists the specific acts and times.

The bands at the offramp are pretty cute.

Quote:
ENDLESS RECESS is a five-piece Columbus, Ohio band that plays music for kids and their parents. Our song selections are upbeat tunes from kids’ movies (e.g., Shrek, Cars, Jungle Book), new and old kids’ TV shows (e.g., Spongebob, Scooby Doo, Peanuts), and family-friendly dance songs. Our performances are high-energy, interactive and fun. Although we are kid-focused, our music and show are not exclusive to kids because our tasty song choices appeal to adults too.

Shazzbots
Quote:
Rocking and rocketing through the spaceways
in their interstellar winnebago, The Shazzbots
are bringing cool quirky kids rock music to all
the children of the cosmos!

Join the crew as they jet from planet to planet
and gig to gig laughing, learning, writing songs
and getting into all kinds of shenanigans...
All the while teaching the kids they encounter
about the joys and excitement of music of all kinds.

A little bit of learning and a whole lot of fun!

Hope this will improve your user experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:13 pm 
Mothra

bela wrote:
But, I have taken her to the parking lot blowout every year.

Bela! It's Comfest! That's like going to the barber and asking them not to cut your hair.... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:16 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Adam Smith wrote:
suebee wrote:
girl.e wrote:
agora
go west
comfest
asian fest
columbus arts fest
parking lot blowout
pbr rendezvous
hot times fest
indepedents' day
park street fest
red white & boom
urban scrawl
scion music fest
jazz & rib fest
black box benefit

that's just off the top of my head...

ARTillery Market this Saturday @ OSU South Gateway

CDR Cookout

Aug 20th & 21st

Lost Weekend Records Super Summer Spectacular
Sept. 10th & Sept. 11th

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:22 pm 
Mechagodzilla

redrabbit wrote:
roxas wrote:
i'm very excited to see jenny mae play out again.

Very excited about Jenny Mae, too. She has put together a great group of players. She is not the only Columbus Music Icon though, Craig Dunson from Pica Huss and Steve McGann from Big Back 40 and Greenhorn both play on Sunday.

Righteous Buck and the Skull Scorchers (who play Offramp Sunday) have TWO former Pica Huss members, Craig Dunson AND Mark Deane.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:58 pm 
Godzilla

suebee wrote:
Anonymity is a beautiful thing.... : )

I figured it out! :clap:
Look forward to finally seeing a whole set at PLBO.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next