blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Here's the Comfest Schedule
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:34 pm 
Godzilla

TedFromRustmoth wrote:

The Bozo stage to me has always been an icon of the "we are better than you" mindset of the older Boomer/Hippie generation over us young(er) loud rock-n-roll-get-off-my-lawn kids .

Heh. Do you know why it is called the BOZO stage?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:52 pm 
Mechagodzilla

cruise_elroy wrote:
Lackluster wrote:
It always seems to take some non-local opinion to change that perception.

like maybe entertainment weekly or something.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,296424,00.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:54 pm 
Godzilla

justin wrote:

One of the funnest weekends ever. I miss MTM.

Now I'm going to duck out of this thread as I get to play, so I'm happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:59 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Lackluster wrote:
Yes, it is noble, and I'm being sincere. But you're telling me that's it's a celebration of local music, when other people are saying it's not. It seems very obvious that it's not. It's about other things, and music happens to be there. I know SXSW and MPMF are completely different. That's what I'm saying. We need something completely different. Well, the city doesn't. The bands do. We have plenty of niche fests that support local music as well, I know. I'm not saying that they shouldn't exist, or what they do isn't worthwhile. I'm not sure why my statement that bands here deserve a fest that provides an opportunity for them to grow beyond being local bands is seen as an attack on existing ideas. If you're happy playing locally for the rest of your life, then what I'm saying probably doesn't really apply to you. There are, however, many bands who would love it if this city had something that shed light on their efforts beyond that of the local "scene." I'm going to shut up now. I was just going to bitch with everyone else, and try to give a reason for it... and it's probably a bit distracting for a thread that's supposed to be about the Comfest schedule.

hi. i thought maybe someone dug up a thread from 2004 but this is comfest 2010 thread. oops.

i'm going to create an imaginary festival for you and call it donewaiting festival.

donewaiting festival takes place in the state fairgrounds. we get 4 stages going and 50,000 people in the gate every day. maybe 70,000 on saturday. 3 day event. priced so that you dont go poor.

Let's say Jay-Z, LCD Soundsytem, Gorillaz, Muse, Pavement, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, MGMT and, Animal Collective headline.

Lots of midlevel Promowest sell out type bands in the middle.

Bunch of Basement/Bobo bands at the end.

Let's also throw in 30 of the best Columbus bands. You pick them. Or I pick them.

In 4 months time, those 30 Columbus bands will be at the same place they were.

No festival is going to propel Columbus bands into the stratosphere. Columbus bands either have to do it, or not. Most bands are happy doing what they do. Some are out there even earning a living and you don't even know about it. Some of them did and are retired.

So the conversation "We need a music festival with national bands to help Columbus bands" is bullshit.

"We need a music festival with national bands cuz that is awesome and it'll be cool for a hand full of Columbus bands to play (and not get paid)" is appropriate.

Do you know how many forgotten Austin bands I've seen @ SXSW while waiting for the headliner?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:04 pm 
Godzilla

robertduffy wrote:
Lackluster wrote:
Do you know how many forgotten Austin bands I've seen @ SXSW while waiting for the headliner?

Or how many I haven't seen because there's a bunch of really cool shit to see and why would I go see some Austin band on a bill with a bunch of other Austin bands, none of which I know anything about?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:05 pm 
Snarf

redrabbit wrote:
TedFromRustmoth wrote:

The Bozo stage to me has always been an icon of the "we are better than you" mindset of the older Boomer/Hippie generation over us young(er) loud rock-n-roll-get-off-my-lawn kids .

Heh. Do you know why it is called the BOZO stage?

Multiple Choice!

A) Because as Firesign Theatre said, we're all Bozos on this bus.

B) Because if they called it the Flippo stage they'd have to pay Bob Marvin's family money.

C) It stands for "Bob Zoloft", inventor of Zoloft.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:08 pm 
Mothra

thefiercelime wrote:
Lackluster. Am I reading you right? Are you looking for a festival that concentrates on catapulting Columbus' fine artists toward stardom and fame and markets their awesomeness to a mass audience? All of that sounds like bunk, to me.

If there's a common thread among great Ohio bands that I've recognized, it's their honesty; their unique pursuit of their own good time and their form of expression. Everyone's invited but they're not waving a flag and begging for your attention or acceptance. The sort of fanfare you seem to be proposing just doesn't hit me as working, here.

Maybe I'm just not following you.

As per the first part of your post... yes, more or less. I mean, a fest can only do so much, but something along those lines. As per the 2nd part. We might have different definitions of stardom though. I, personally wouldn't want to be the soundtrack for Jersey Shore, or a car commercial. Would I like to tour the world, have the resources to pout a live show together to my liking, and meet/share ideas my musical idols? All while not having to worry about my rent, or my shitty job? Sure. That's stardom to me.
No band wants to sell their soul, or anything of that nature. Who knows, maybe I'm the only one who likes to tour, and the thought of one day not having to lug my own gear one day appeals to me as well. I don't know, the bands who are content to sit on the sidelines could do just that I suppose. There are plenty of bands who would love to play music for a living rather than do anything else though.
If they want to play cool, or hard to get, I suppose they could just show up and let the organizers waive that flag for them. Or they could not apply at all, and save room for the bands that do want that.
Working hard to promote yourself, sharing your music with everyone who will listen, not pretending your art is something worthless and treating is something of great value, and taking advantage of every opportunity to perpetuate your music as a viable career aren't deficiencies. To me, the bands that aspire to nothing reek of pretentiousness. I guess I don't understand why someone would choose to perform, and reject performing.
To the bands who would like to play a local show once a month, put out a record and sell copies to their friends, and maybe get an occasional blurb in the paper... fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Though, in a perfect world, something like DI Fest wouldn't just accept submissions based on talent, but also the likelihood that the band will make some sort of effort to take advantage of the opportunity. What good does the fest do if the bands spend the rest of the year not doing anything?

It seems as if you're saying their "unique pursuit," is no pursuit at all though.

I understand the fear is that every band will end up being played in an Abercrombie store, but I personally don't find that to be that great of a deterrent when considering the goals I set for myself. My music isn't about that, and I'm surely not wasting any time dwelling on it. Some time ago, we played a show at the Gap for freaking jeans. Do I care if some prick wants to make something more of that than what it is? Absolutely not. I got jeans. I needed jeans. Some people listened to us. I didn't write a jingle. I'd suggest bands that care about these things throw out their pretensions and actually pursue something. If attention isn't what you're after, do nothing. You'll have the blind eye of the world.
Almost every band I know tours, and makes records. I fail to see the point in doing that if you'd rather stay at home.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:11 pm 
Mothra

robertduffy wrote:
Lackluster wrote:
Yes, it is noble, and I'm being sincere. But you're telling me that's it's a celebration of local music, when other people are saying it's not. It seems very obvious that it's not. It's about other things, and music happens to be there. I know SXSW and MPMF are completely different. That's what I'm saying. We need something completely different. Well, the city doesn't. The bands do. We have plenty of niche fests that support local music as well, I know. I'm not saying that they shouldn't exist, or what they do isn't worthwhile. I'm not sure why my statement that bands here deserve a fest that provides an opportunity for them to grow beyond being local bands is seen as an attack on existing ideas. If you're happy playing locally for the rest of your life, then what I'm saying probably doesn't really apply to you. There are, however, many bands who would love it if this city had something that shed light on their efforts beyond that of the local "scene." I'm going to shut up now. I was just going to bitch with everyone else, and try to give a reason for it... and it's probably a bit distracting for a thread that's supposed to be about the Comfest schedule.

hi. i thought maybe someone dug up a thread from 2004 but this is comfest 2010 thread. oops.

i'm going to create an imaginary festival for you and call it donewaiting festival.

donewaiting festival takes place in the state fairgrounds. we get 4 stages going and 50,000 people in the gate every day. maybe 70,000 on saturday. 3 day event. priced so that you dont go poor.

Let's say Jay-Z, LCD Soundsytem, Gorillaz, Muse, Pavement, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, MGMT and, Animal Collective headline.

Lots of midlevel Promowest sell out type bands in the middle.

Bunch of Basement/Bobo bands at the end.

Let's also throw in 30 of the best Columbus bands. You pick them. Or I pick them.

In 4 months time, those 30 Columbus bands will be at the same place they were.

No festival is going to propel Columbus bands into the stratosphere. Columbus bands either have to do it, or not. Most bands are happy doing what they do. Some are out there even earning a living and you don't even know about it. Some of them did and are retired.

So the conversation "We need a music festival with national bands to help Columbus bands" is bullshit.

"We need a music festival with national bands cuz that is awesome and it'll be cool for a hand full of Columbus bands to play (and not get paid)" is appropriate.

I can understand that. But it wouldn't hurt. I may not be a purist, but I'm an optimist (about this).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:35 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Lackluster wrote:
I can understand that. But it wouldn't hurt. I may not be a purist, but I'm an optimist (about this).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:07 pm 
Godzilla

Comfest is just a big ol' beer drinkin', weed smokin', band playin' annual 3-day party/family reunion in Goodale park. Perhaps this year more than ever. I doubt it was ever intended to be either some sort of validation for your (in the general sense) band's talent, draw, or dedication, nor some sort of music showcase designed to connect you with those who can propel you "to the next level", (ala SXSW) whatever that means to you. There are other events like that; this one is not it.

What it can be, is the worst fucking gig of your life, as you play for nothing in front of nobody, while dealing with either oppressive heat, or torrential rains, and have to deal with insane crowds to park & haul your gear, and huge lines to piss and get beer. It can also be a magical experience that people will talk about for years, if you pull off some over the top performance in front of all your friends and a bunch of people who had never previously heard of you & would have never otherwise checked you out. But honestly…any "progress" or breakthroughs of any bands I have ever been in have happened in the time between Comfests, not during.

Not to be all pseudo-zen, but the less you expect, the more rewarding it will be. And the more you expect comfest to be _______ or _______, the more disappointed you will be. You love the lineup at a particular stage? Park your lazy ass there all day and lose yourself in the music. Don't like the next band? Get up and walk around, see all your ex's, eat a fishboat, share a joint with someone and make a new friend. Pass out. Leave for awhile, hit a local bar, and come back. Skip the whole fucking thing. I dunno. After 10 years of playing this thing, it seems pointless to expect it to be anything than what it is, a big, gorgeous, meaningless clusterfuck of enormous proportions that might or might not be the best/worst time of your life, depending on your attitude. /hippie rant]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:16 pm 
Godzilla

I just want to state for the record that I'll out-bitter all of you COMBINED.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:26 pm 
Snarf

Jawbreaker wrote:

First off, your avatar pic is godlike.

Second, now I picture a Bitterness Super Sentai where five Smiths-T-shirt wearing, coffee-and-cigarette unrecognized, unloved, or otherwise underappreciated musicians jump on each other's shoulders to form SunVoltron and take you on.

Zach Starkey cries out.... "And *I'll* form the HAIR!"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:32 pm 
King Ghidorah

blammo wrote:
Comfest is just a big ol' beer drinkin', weed smokin', band playin' annual 3-day party/family reunion in Goodale park. Perhaps this year more than ever. I doubt it was ever intended to be either some sort of validation for your (in the general sense) band's talent, draw, or dedication, nor some sort of music showcase designed to connect you with those who can propel you "to the next level", (ala SXSW) whatever that means to you. There are other events like that; this one is not it.

What it can be, is the worst fucking gig of your life, as you play for nothing in front of nobody, while dealing with either oppressive heat, or torrential rains, and have to deal with insane crowds to park & haul your gear, and huge lines to piss and get beer. It can also be a magical experience that people will talk about for years, if you pull off some over the top performance in front of all your friends and a bunch of people who had never previously heard of you & would have never otherwise checked you out. But honestly…any "progress" or breakthroughs of any bands I have ever been in have happened in the time between Comfests, not during.

Not to be all pseudo-zen, but the less you expect, the more rewarding it will be. And the more you expect comfest to be _______ or _______, the more disappointed you will be. You love the lineup at a particular stage? Park your lazy ass there all day and lose yourself in the music. Don't like the next band? Get up and walk around, see all your ex's, eat a fishboat, share a joint with someone and make a new friend. Pass out. Leave for awhile, hit a local bar, and come back. Skip the whole fucking thing. I dunno. After 10 years of playing this thing, it seems pointless to expect it to be anything than what it is, a big, gorgeous, meaningless clusterfuck of enormous proportions that might or might not be the best/worst time of your life, depending on your attitude. /hippie rant]

Bravo.

Seriously, my first year at Comfest was three years ago, and knowing absolutely no bands except The Loyal Divide, I had a great fucking time. The next year I knew a little more, had a great fucking time. The next year I knew most bands and liked about 1/8 of them and still.................had a great fucking time.

I would love something like Coachella or Lollapalooza to be in the general vicinity but, you know, probably not ever gonna happen. That's why it's a big fucking deal to get into any of those festivals. There can't be a thousand Coachellas.

Lackluster guy: I'm one of the most uptight, opinionated, anti-anti (I do like Snowden) anti everything, and I definitely have my views about the local music here.

But Comfest is one of the few things here you really can't bitch about. On the 1st June I'm crossing off my calendar like Christmas. Is this because I'm relatively new to it? Maybe. But I'm young. And you're young. The sun is gonna die someday, and music is gonna die someday, and etc. etc. Why complain about hanging out in an awesome park where the only things you have to pay for is food and beer?

I see people I only see once a year at Comfest. There are plenty of places to park your ass and not listen to any band you don't like and just (and let me put this in parentheses to clarity how awesome this is) Drink In Public. Lay Out in The Sun. Talk to Friends. And, you know, still show off cos there's so many people there (guilty pleasure)

Go Lakers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:36 pm 
Snarf

I have played SXSW and I have played COMFEST. COMFEST is more fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:49 pm 
King Ghidorah

There should be a comfest thread in the "Hype" section, so people will know about this event. Maybe we could get some people to attend, if we did that.

http://billycoolandthewhips.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:49 pm 
Godzilla

blammo wrote:

AMEN.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:10 pm 
King Ghidorah

lulz @ people who blame the hippies for anything that goes wrong.
srsly tho. stfu and stay home. more (.)(.)'s for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 pm 
King Ghidorah

suebee wrote:
girl.e wrote:
agora
go west
comfest
asian fest
columbus arts fest
parking lot blowout
pbr rendezvous
hot times fest
indepedents' day
park street fest
red white & boom
urban scrawl
scion music fest
jazz & rib fest
black box benefit

that's just off the top of my head...

ARTillery Market this Saturday @ OSU South Gateway

CDR Cookout

Aug 20th & 21st

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:21 am 
Snarf

Tristannus wrote:
Why complain about hanging out in an awesome park where the only things you have to pay for is food and beer?

Well, my agoraphobia goes into high gear at ComFest, for one. Huge crowds, I have trouble with. And they get ruder each year, it seems. Can I still complain about that? :shifty:

The other thing I like to complain about is the rather insular nature of some (not all, some) of the ComFest Leader Types.

I also like to complain about frat boys.

Also, I know people say ComFest is not *just* about the music, but that's sure what 98% of the hype is about. Not "will this or that stall be there" or "What fringe religious group or political group will have a funny stand people go to and stare at" or "will there or will there not be elephant ears", but the music is the hype. The media is the message. The eagle has landed. The lunatic is on the grass.

Basically, I just don't get it. I reiterate, I liked the Offramp stage as more indie/alt rock, I always felt the big stage was not the best place for those bands, soundwise, and I always felt it showed sort of a generation gap. I am, therefore, a bitter bastard or something. :wink:

My views on ComFest in no way represent the views of the other members of the band Rustmoth. No taping baseball without the written permission of Bud Selig.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:59 am 
Godzilla

Jawbreaker wrote:

if nothing else i can vouch for this

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:18 am 
Mechagodzilla

U ALL R FUCKING RETARDS
EVERYDAY OF YER LIVES :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:43 am 
Mothra

Ha... seriously, I like the Gibson Brothers. But this is funny.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:48 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Let's not forget this festival back in the summer of '05

http://web.archive.org/web/200702130412 ... _block.php

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:14 am 
Godzilla

thisoneholymedium wrote:
Jawbreaker wrote:

if nothing else i can vouch for this

Are we talking about Comfest, or just in general?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:02 am 
Godzilla

roxas wrote:
i'm very excited to see jenny mae play out again.

Very excited about Jenny Mae, too. She has put together a great group of players. She is not the only Columbus Music Icon though, Craig Dunson from Pica Huss and Steve McGann from Big Back 40 and Greenhorn both play on Sunday.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next