blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best show ever
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:16 am 
Mechagodzilla

Best show ever!!!!

All the bands rocked to the max, the turnout was great. I wanna give an extra shout out to the good people from Athens. I pity anyone who wasn't there.

your uniform gets cleaned.
-American Music Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:33 pm 
Mothra

marvin rules....got our "corporate welfare christmas".

the damnwells were great as usual. had to leave after they played. too tired. or drunk. or something.

athens people are good people....they just drink too much. i know, 'cause i'm one of 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:36 pm 
Mothra

just to add an aside......these shows start WAY too fucking late. i'm sorry. i know chip feels me on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:11 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Saturday I couldn't make it out 'til late, but I was glad to see that when I arrived at Bourbon Street that things were running so behind that 3 bands still had to play as of midnight. The Damnwells need to drop "the" from the name and just go by Damn Wells!! This was the best show I have seen them do. I think that's because it was a much smaller intimate club which works great for them. The mix was perfect...with no mics on the drums. The singer can write really great songs. There's a little something that reminds me of Pete Yorn, but with waaay better songs. that and maybe a little bit like Grant lee Buffalo. Their drummer was on it! I can't wait to hear the cd now.

Next was Earwig. never saw them back in the day. I don't know why, they totally kicked my ass. Josh Shiek was drumming for them now. I gave this kid lessons when he was in Jr high , but it had been a while since Ive seen him play. He was a complete mother fucker on the drums. He crushed the kit and was on the money......He was a bad ass. Great hooky, songs played with big balls. I loved them. Love the demo cd they gave me as well

And Renaissance Doves. Still might be the greatest thing in rock right now in this city. Some of the best songs written, played on 11. I really can't even put into words how good this band is. And I have a feeling they play like this when the practice. I hope they put some recordings out soon, real soon.

I think I'm kind of considered a pessimist when it comes to local music with not too much good to say about alot of the bands out there, but I gotta say Saturday was one of the best shows I've seen in a club in a long time. And I competely got my ass handed to me by great drummers in one night.....I love when that happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:36 pm 
Jet Jaguar

yep, the night got off to a late start. People just DO NOT show up before like 11pm in Cowtown. Seriously...that needs to change. I agree with Chip, Joshh and Greenhorn1 on that. But whatr you gonna do? Four band bills can still be questionable, but this night was an exception.

Marvin T. Robot was all over the map crazy. His drum machine, nutty noize and songs really are a treat.

The Damnwells impressed me with quality songs and sounds. Good players but they took a long time to set up and played too long of a set (considering how late things were running) but I am now a fan and will come back to see them again.

Earwig's set was fun and quick (5 songs). Filled with fury, technical difficulties and the sounds of a drummer beating the holy crap (in a musical way) out of anything within reach.

The Renaissance Doves played some cool new songs, especially when Dan started playing Coldplay with his piano on part of the set. These guys really know how to get it done right and they whipped the night into a frenzy and then put it to bed broken and satisfied.
Damn that was a lot of fog...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:34 am 
Godzilla

joshh wrote:
...these shows start WAY too fucking late.

Well, let's fix that. We just gotta start starting earlier and dealing with the void of people for a while. Or maybe give people an incentive to come out earlier: Free Tacos!

Last Monday The Last Hotel went on early (9pm) at Little Brothers. I don't know if it was the time, the rain, the Monday, or the ignorance, but that place should have been packed, and their were only about 20 people there when I got there (admittedly at 9:35p). How do we get people out earlier? Maybe advertising in old folks homes? :twisted:

I think we're going to start our CD release pretty early. Hopefully the "event" will be big enough to get people out early on a Friday. Plus there's the fact that Tino will be in a thong all night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:59 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

IHateAM ... check out this thread ...

http://donewaiting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2695