[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - New ZAS Album COMMUNICATION out May 26th.

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New ZAS Album COMMUNICATION out May 26th.
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:37 pm 
Jet Jaguar

First, I did once indeed catch ZAS text on the dance floor at Ladies 80s and called him out! It was funny.

Second, all these people complaining about their reviews might want to rethink their position. Some buddys of mine got, shall we say "mixed reviews" a few months back. The took their lump like men but really they were just happy to get the attention, and then subsequently had a huge CD release show and had a nice bump in web activity from it.

I think ZAS gets that too... as a matter of fact sometimes I think ZAS and Petric are in kahoots...

Conspiracy Theorys... GO!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:17 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:19 am 
Godzilla

this thread needs some polar bears to go with its flashbacks.

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:41 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:42 am 
King Ghidorah

ZAS,

i am currently listening to your new music... the music is much improved from last time, but honestly my main issue is your sound palette and high-hat sequencing... your vocals sound much better than on earlier records (they are much lower in the mix). my advice is save some money and either buy some of the equipment from the time period you are attempting to recreate (roland jupiter 4, korg mono/poly, SC prophet 5 and a pre-1980s string machine (arp, crumar, elka, siel) and a you should probably go ahead and buy an 808 (honestly it will be worth every penny of the $2000 that it will run you). stop using ableton live or fruity loops or whatever it is you are currently using... also get a stand alone reverb unit (if you want it to sound like new order (it sure sounds like it) then get an early 80s digital reverb unit, not plate, or spring) also stop programing the drums like an early 90s house song, and try and make them sound like disco drum (that is what all the bands you like did, programed a primative drum machine to sound like disco, less chicago, more new york...)

also, your lyrics are weird, make them weirder... maybe you should write some songs about being on a beach, or driving expensive cars. outerspace is usually a good subject, maybe a song attempting to describe sex in outerspace, or sex with a creature from another solar system. film noir motifs are also a tried and true early electro subject matter, maybe write a song about being a spy, a sexy spy, or a private eye. a love song written from the perspective of a piece of technology (cell phone, synthesizer, drum machine, TiVo unit, GPS unit, laptop, smartphone). also you should write a song about doing your hair, girls love to dance to songs they can relate to and i don't think there has ever been a song about doing your hair.

other things that could help you become an overnight sensation...

move to europe
move to japan
become gay (it worked for the guy from judas priest)
become a pedophile (it worked for gary glitter)
claim to be from outerspace (it worked for roky erikson)
claim to not be from outerspace
get a sex change (it worked for amanda lepore)
design a sports car and make your website only about the car, not your music (it worked for georgio moroder)
get long braided hair that has the same effect as dreadlocks (it worked for sylvester)

i look forward to you implementing these ideas into your blossoming career.

your friend,
mike

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:42 am 
Godzilla

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:48 am 
Godzilla

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:01 pm 
Mothra

This thread is amazing. ZAS, Chris Deville, John Petric, JFK and Lost all under one roof and then... NUKED! I don't think the backlash against Deville was merited though. I mean, he did call you guys visionaries and plugged your show.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:14 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:01 pm 
Mothra

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:05 pm 
Godzilla

this thread is starting to get boring again. More drama, please!

I am not a fan of ZAS' music, but I will give him credit for his moxie and his ability to promote. From the tracks I've heard, it sounds like a lot of the sounds are not synced up to the beats correctly, which for dance music doesn't really work. At all. It ends up sounding sloppy but not in a good way.

Also, while I am not that much of a stickler for perfect singing pitch all of the time if it's done well, I think you need to find a more comfortable range for your vocals or something.

As much as I hate to suggest this because I can't stand them* there are other alternatives...

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:15 pm 
Mothra

What needs to happen is a ZAS remix competition. Everyone and their grandma is vocal about easily envisioning a way to make his music better, so in the name of music LET THOSE PEOPLE MAKE THE MUSIC BETTER.

Zach, I bet you could turn such a competition into a big press write up. There are tons of electronic music aficionados and DJs in town that would jump on it, and probably want to spin their own version of 'No Texting on the Dancefloor' at all the hippest 'nights'.

Just pick one or two songs and make the raw tracks available for download, promote the event, decide on a deadline and prize for the winner and sit back and bath in the attention.

I'm sure a few of the usual jackholes would use it as a way to make fun of you (after that Petric review there is not much place to go other than up). But, I know for sure that at least a dozen of the entries would be REALLY bangin reinterpretations of your songs.

You don't even have to admit that there is anything wrong with your music, it is good for the people who like it. Silence the haters. Give the people what they want. Give them...

THE ZAS REMIX COMPETITION

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:21 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:18 am 
Godzilla

- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:04 pm 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:32 pm 
Mothra

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:55 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:09 pm 
Mothra

It seems that in reacting to an overreaction to criticism, I have overly reacted to a critical reaction against my poor taste.

Lets just be friends.

Back to ZAS.... Zach, what say you about an organized remix contest? Are you too offended by the notion to see how much it would benefit your cause?

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:50 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:04 pm 
Snarf