[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - The Black Keys, Brothers

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Black Keys, Brothers
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:00 am 
Jet Jaguar

Really enjoyed the album. Lucey did a great job too.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:10 am 
Mothra

Holy fuckin' smokes. I was in used kids, just looking for some new records. As always, I was thinking deep New Orleans (which used kids usually never has), or old ass country, or some gospel soul (Soul Stirrers, (without Sam Cooke in the seventies, which is rad) which they did have, thank you used kids), when I was like what the fuck is this playing up in here, and I used to never want to ask because I would seem a music fool, but I've just come to accept that I am a fool so I was like "What the fuck is this?", because it sounded like some deep soul, maybe not quite some southern soul, but at least something old and sweet that I had probably never heard of. Dan D. looked me straight in my eye and said "New Black Keys". Shit. It was side D of the new record, with those slow grooves on it. I am twenty dollars poorer, and happy about it. They have set the bar waaaayyyyyyy higher for Ohio. They are winning. This record is fucking great. Especially those C and D sides. Northern soul revival, without the irony, played from the heart.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:49 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:47 pm 
King Ghidorah

I like the disc a lot more than I thought I would. Actually, I had pretty much written off the idea of ever being all that interested in anyone's blues rock album. I don't care how dirty and authentic it gets, the idea makes me yawn so hard I look like Steven Tyler by the time my lips come back together.

But there are a few real gems on it, and their delivery and the strength of the songs seal the deal. "Next Girl" is a classic. Had it been done originally by any black blues legend or guitarist with the last name King (excluding Kerry) it would be right up there with any blues standard. But it's more than that really, it's not so standard. It's more blues the way the Rolling Stones thought they were playing the blues. But it's not really that either. The Black Keys are tighter than the Stones. It stands on it's own and it doesn't sound tired or rehashed.

Anyway, They've made a damn fine rock n' roll record and Auerbach's soulful delivery makes Jack White sound like Geddy Lee.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

#3 on the Billboard

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:19 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:04 am 
King Ghidorah

Yeah, those cats know how to do it. Just add a good bass player, and they would really smoke. Of course, then they wouldn't be as "hip".

As much as I love these guys, I still contend that if you are overdubbing bass on your albums, then just hire a fucking bass player already. Not that they don't sound great live, they really do. It just would be better with a tasteful simple bass line. It did on the album...

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:10 am 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:17 am 
King Ghidorah

73,000 first week. #3 in us, 2000 copies behind the exile on main street reissue... in regards to "hiring a fucking bass player" they did, and a keyboard player, leon michels who runs truth and soul records, plays in the el michels affair, lee fields and the expressions... and the bass player is Nick Movshon who is also in the el michels affair, anitbalas and played on all the amy winehouse / mark ronson records...

on letterman last night... fallon tonight...

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:44 pm 
King Ghidorah

is there people from the house band playing with them? wtf does pat keep looking at?(almost like he's looking over saying fuk stik, get with the tempo)

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:31 pm 
Godzilla

i usually ignore "the hype" in general

but man this record is fucking sweet

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:55 pm 
King Ghidorah

Holy shit they hired a Fucking bass player, and other Fucking musicians too. LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:07 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:13 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Brothers is in the number 8th best selling record in America.
Two weeks in the top ten...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:22 am 
King Ghidorah

These Days is now my favorite song on this record.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:27 am 
King Ghidorah

also, Anyone going to the Cleveland or Pittsburgh shows?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:28 am 
Mechagodzilla

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... k_car.html

Tell me about your album cover. It’s a really different aesthetic for the Black Keys — no images, just words.
That was all my brother Michael. He’s a graphic designer. We all agreed the record cover should be text-based because we couldn’t think of any image that fit. Michael’s done every one of our record covers and every one of our T-shirts. He used to work for Abercrombie & Fitch until they laid him off like a bunch of fucking idiots. He’s probably gonna get nominated for a Grammy for all this shit! He got a job that was twice as good at American Eagle within a week. I actually really like stories like that — when a company fucks up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:54 am 
King Ghidorah

Anyone know if the MSG show was taped :?: would like to check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:03 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:05 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:46 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:43 pm 
Mechagodzilla

the black keys are nominated for a VMA
http://www.mtv.com/ontv/vma/2010/breakthrough-video/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:16 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:49 am 
Mechagodzilla

the black keys donewaiting interview

http://www.donewaiting.com/2010/08/12/i ... ck-carney/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:40 pm 
King Ghidorah

anyone go to this show?? or know if it was taped??