[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - should live sound always get paid?

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: should live sound always get paid?
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:32 pm 
Godzilla

if it's so bad here for you, you're MORE than welcome to leave whenEVER you want . . .

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:41 pm 
King Ghidorah

http://billycoolandthewhips.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:56 pm 
Mothra

No one said it was "so bad." I very specifically stated that it's not a terribly concerning issue, and that problems like this are rare. I think I actually said something like 10%... which may seem like a lot, but it's only 2 for every 20 shows, and hardly an exaggeration. The question was just what to do when those things happen, and they happen everywhere, not just here. "If you don't like something, then move," makes it sound as if shitty soundguys are ALL Columbus has to offer. I might suggest reading before commenting. Thanks for your input though! :clap:

Last edited by Lackluster on Fri May 21, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:06 am 
Godzilla

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:09 am 
King Ghidorah

Iwould say you are biased. would say you are biased. Listen to my song all the way through. I did the same for your nomination.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 am 
Godzilla

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:33 am 
King Ghidorah

Read through this thread. Who made it a contest? Not me.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:44 am 
Godzilla

Should live sound always get laid?
Alrite, look, so it happened a few times..But I wasn't really a sound man.
More like a door man who booked the shows and set up the stage and twiddled the knobs and paid the bands and swept up 5 nites a week. So I think that makes my answer a "Yes!"

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:32 am 
Mothra

No, it's not a doorman. At least not at the local shows. We typically have the same results multiple times. Otherwise I might just blow it off. But if a sound guy says, "Sorry, I'm drunk." Or, "I just took a shitload of shrooms and will be useless in about 15 minutes," while mic'ing our drums," I'm inclined to say (if the sound sucks) "Sorry, we're not going to pay you."
I guess it ultimately comes down whether or not an owner would have to be involved, and whether or not he wants loser to continue running sound for him. If he sides with the soundguy, we'll just tell everyone we know to not play there.
Again, this isn't a pressing matter. It rarely happens... so maybe I should just put up with it... but that's what I'm asking. It does piss me off that I have to pay the guy $150 when it DOES happen though. Has anyone requested certain guys at certain venues around town? I might just try that, and stick to people I know do a good job.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:53 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:01 am 
King Ghidorah

I really like this message board.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:02 am 
Mothra

Thanks for actually answering. I agree, and certainly won't ask an opinion based question again.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:35 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:04 am 
King Ghidorah

:hi:

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:24 am 
Mothra

Ha, no worries Godzilla. Sorry if I was harsh.

Telling other bands to avoid someplace is childish. I imagine everyone already knows what places/people are likely to be like this. If it was literally to the point where I could not assert myself from the stage, I don't think I'd have any problem discussing it after the show. At least not after spending some time thinking about it on here. I'd have to say that it might take someone from the audience telling me it sounded bad for it to matter that much though.

the end.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:31 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:31 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:24 am 
King Ghidorah

if the sound is shitty, and you really feel like it's the fault of the sound guy (i.e. neglect/incompetence), i think it's totally fine to bring it to the attention of the owner/promoter. if you're pissed that the stage only had 1 monitor mix and you're an 8 piece band with 4 acoustic instruments and 2 marshall half stacks, and there were 10 people in the audience, get fucked.

as a guy who plays in a band that previously had 8 members and 26 lines on our stage plot, i can sympathize with both sides.

i've definitely played shows where i felt like the sound guy should not get paid, but i agree with the posts above. it should ideally be the club paying the sound guy, not the band.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:58 am 
Godzilla

@ generally everybody:

If the sounds sucks, nobody gets laid..

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:04 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:56 am 
King Ghidorah

Dude, WHERE IS THE FUCKIN' SOUNDMAN?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:52 pm 
Godzilla

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:40 pm 
King Ghidorah

This thread is endearingly bad, like baby poop ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:59 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:03 pm 
Godzilla

How often do sound men get laid?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next