[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Wonderland

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wonderland
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:27 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

http://www.donewaiting.com/2010/01/15/o ... onderland/

Post subject: Re: Wonderland
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:53 pm 
Mechagodzilla

With all the business-minded individuals involved I think it's a stretch to call this non-profit. Beware of the self-serving "innovative entrepreneurs" contributing to your local arts community.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:14 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:36 am 
Godzilla

In case you don't know what a conker tree looks like - it's a great, big wooden thing. With conkers on it.
The idea of independent thought and action that goes by the name of "creativity" trips easily off the tongues of spokespeople for the corporate counterculture..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:30 am 
Jet Jaguar

I doubt that what they're planning will infringe much on the creativity of others.

In fact, I expect anyone who's opposed to Wonderland will have lots of opportunities to not get involved, not rent space, and not support the people who do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:54 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

i'm just happy to see the john mayer-fication of columbus is now a reality

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:32 am 
Godzilla

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:55 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:46 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:20 pm 
Godzilla

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:42 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:25 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

my concerns about 'big salaries' being associated with 'arts communities' are really minimal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:01 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:37 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:39 pm 
Godzilla

I think it's probably best to wait to argue about this until something actually exists.

_I think some sort of "meatspace Etsy" business incubator is a really good idea.

_I'm interested to hear where the 1.4mil or whatever they were asking for that building came from. (I did some preliminary research on the building for a potential project)

_Could they fit another buzzword in that Press Release?

_It's kind of curious that all the relevant information isn't posted for Public consumption

_Personally I wouldn't invest my time/effort w/o some sort of sweat-equity return (ie an ownership stake)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:58 pm 
Mechagodzilla

i plan on going to the launch party and making my opinion from that.
i feel like what has developed from couchfire has been effective, cause while i may not love all the art, it has caused people to be more active.
which keeps creative people in town because they have invested their energy into building something.

so this will prolly continue that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:02 pm 
King Ghidorah

I think groundrules is trying to stir up shit by implying I'm talking about this project. I'm not. I'm just talking in general terms. Again, I'm stoked on most anything getting done. I agree w/ Wes on that whole part of it.

I'm saying, generally, that there is a lot of money to be taken from any arts community, even if it's not in the form of salaries or getting property from the non-profit, it could just be a shitty and bloated business model where some bank or landlord are getting $10,000/mo, that comes out of the non profit that is getting funded out pockets of artists and musicians and whatnot, somethign like that.

So, if that doesn't worry groundrules, that's fine. I think it should be a big concern for any medium sized city with a smallish arts network because there really are a very finite amount of resources available.

I think Jawbreaker is right. Arguing about this is like arguing about the health care bill, pointless untill there are some facts to argue about.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:11 pm 
Mechagodzilla

adam...i know you are a pragmatic dood that also values integrity in the arts.

and i could prolly envision some worst case scenerios that most people wouldn't even think about.......................................

i am not trying to put words in your mouth...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:08 am 
Snarf

i think some of these concerns are unfounded. being an npo, at least legally, the salaries staff can make have to be commiserate. also they will be public so once this thing gets off the ground, you can look up what the staff are making. i'd also say columbus is a big city (i mean, it is a top 20) and we actually have a lot of arts infrastructure here. resources are kind of shitty, relatively speaking. but i think these types of social enterprise npos have a better shot than something that is straight service oriented.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:26 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:05 am 
Jet Jaguar

I'm surprised that this announcement is being met with suspicion and cynicism. The only principal in the initiative that I know personally is Adam Brouillette, and he's been nothing short of a tireless supporter for both individual artists and the larger arts community (OAL, Couchfire, Independents Day, Haiku, etc.). The rest of the players appear to be logical picks in that they come from diverse fields and have a proven track record of starting successful enterprises and supporting the community.

I suppose one could object to the idea of having an above board developer/real estate person on board, but if that's what it takes to keep this from getting shuttered before it matures, then let the man do his job. Will money change hands? Probably. How could it not? Will money be siphoned off by the organizers? Considering their name recognition and investment in the community, that seems unlikely.

...and again, anyone who thinks this is all shit remains free to not get involved. It's easy; don't go to the informational meeting, don't volunteer to help out, don't apply for a space, don't get on the mailing list, and don't sign a lease.

This isn't a zero sum game. Their success doesn't mean someone else has to fail. They're trying get something neat started in a shitty economy. I say let them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:04 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:49 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:52 am 
Godzilla

http://www.3rdward.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:02 pm 
Jet Jaguar