[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Best Music From The Worst Decade Ever

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Music From The Worst Decade Ever
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:06 pm 
Mechagodzilla

2000 to 2009 The Best Music From The Worst Decade Ever

This past decade has truly been an abysmal age. From The Strokes to Paramore with too much George Bush givin us the “what what in the butt” in the all around. All the horrible 1980's materialism and shallow fashion addiction that we had worked so hard to smash up and run out of town resurrected as spandex survivor's guilt. Reopening the floodgates of racist, sexist, anti-intelligent crap onto the world. What's worse is that there shall forever be a generation who looks back on all this horror with nostalgia.
I'm just glad we can finally take this dying, mangy, mutt out back and with one slug, release it from it's sad, mortal coil. And released we all shall be. The advent of Youtube, Ubuntu, bit torrents, and (insert favorite social network here) have given Earth's people unprecedented access and insight into to each other. The long result will grow to a thriving media environment where great works will be made without regard to (but still including) profit or fame will be the norm. Not soon enough. In far too many way, these past ten years have simply been wasted time that we will never get back. Still, there were some high points, some great nights spent as drunken, huddled masses. Days when we thought we could scream away war and bigotry, and moments when we almost did.

This is a rough sketch of the few hours of this decade that were worth living through.

Best Records
Beetles, Jay-Z, DJ Danger Mouse vs The Record Industry - The Grey Album
The official opening salvo of mash up culture. Something my dad I can enjoy for the next 20 years. The one saving grace of an otherwise depressing era is this kluster-sonic joyride through what you thought you knew.
84 Nash – A Secret Reward
The last great stand of the last great Dayton band. When the Nash broke up, God melted the mold with it. Thanks goodness they managed to release this most hummable opus before the end came.
Defiance Ohio – Share What You Got
Hands down, the official motion picture soundtrack of every raging party worth going to. Smelly kids, broken hearts, and escapist politics. Seriously, I had crush on Sherri when I was 15 and she was a crazy eyed bike messenger. I did a techno cover of “Chad's Favorite Song” for a Christmas compilation a couple years ago.
Silver Jews – Bright Flight
I'm so, so glad Dave Berman decided to grace us with his unhealthy wit. Really great interviews didn't come until the later albums, but this one has some real jukebox standards.
Sword Heaven – We Of The Fucking Mountains
I don't get the whole noise movement that took over the world for three or four years in the middle of the decade. My best guess is that it was somewhere between an attempt to sonically represent the anti-senseable quasi brutality of the day and the best attempts of those who like to talk a lot to present their inability to create as creation itself. Either way, this record stands out as the opposite of all the rest of that. Actually inspired, biologically rhythmic, and louder than God.
Beat The Devil - Self Titled
This NYC based trio always put on a great show, something Tom Waits himself may have gotten jealous of from time to time.
Columbus Needs A Mountain V/A
I can't believe how much mileage this compilation is still getting. The last leftover of a real effort to build a mountain in Columbus, Ohio.
Lifter/Puller – The Soft Rock
Warnings, therapy, and the best riffs ever. I tried to drown out the pain of the millennium with women, drugs, booze, and insomnia...after all of that failed this album was there to hold my hair back, kick me in the jaw, and send me back out with at little something to look forward to.
Times New Viking – We Were High/We Were Not High
The shotty 5 song EP that started it all. Still their best record to date
The Mighty Boosh – Season Two
I know these guys aren't a real jazz-funk band, but these guys are 8000% more of a real band than some of the stuff I had to put up with on the radio is the past ten years. And unlike the White Stripes, they actually have sex with each other!!

Best Bands That Came And Went
Fat Girls By The Snack Table -cbus
Bunkbed Nights - g rap
Chicks On Speed - germany
The Sewing Terrorists - g rap
Welcome To Concrete -cbus
The Scarlets -g rap

xoxo Miles

your uniform gets cleaned.
-American Music Club

Last edited by Ect, Ect on Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Best Music From The Worst Decade Ever
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:20 am 
Mechagodzilla

that was deep bro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:45 pm 
Mechagodzilla

I would vote 1340-1350 as wost decade ever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:44 am 
Godzilla

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:15 am 
Mechagodzilla

-American Music Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:15 pm 
Godzilla

now i gotta puke . . .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:19 pm 
King Ghidorah

Maybe you're right, etc.

I still would prefer to be as far away from drunken, huddled masses as possible. Far far away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:07 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:14 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:33 pm 
Mechagodzilla

http://www.prisonplanet.com/the-decade-of-tyranny.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:14 am 
Mechagodzilla

I hear Love Culture has more intra-band sex than The White Stripes, The Boosh, early Superchunk, and Fleetwood Mac combined.

-American Music Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:40 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:13 pm 
King Ghidorah

there are some keepers from the 00's, but i disagree with almost your entire list. bottom line is there are only a handful of bands that stepped out this decade that i think will last much into the next. the 00's sort of feel like the 70's when there really wasn't much of a defining sound, just a bunch of bands kind of doing their own thing. there are some good ones, and some that will be laughed at as time goes on.. then 20 years from now will be cool again.. it's funny like that.
i saw the 20 yr anniversary release of 'bleach' by nirvana yesterday and wondered when kids were gonna start donning plaid shirts and combat boots again lol...
you see bands getting indoctrinated into the RR HOF.. bands like metallica, u2, ac/dc... big rock bands.. not that it really matters, but can you think of who from the 00's would receive the same "honor" :roll: of getting into the HOF? the only one i can think of is maybe the white stripes.. maybe foo fighters? i don't know cause a lot of the big acts from the 00's is crap like britney spears and timberlake.. i just heard artie talking about that on howard stern and thought it was a interesting question. maybe the place will be like a museum no one gives a shit about anymore...

"My brother's Municipal League baseball team is named the Stepdads. Seeing as none of the guys on the team are actual stepdads, I inquired about the name. He explained, "Cuz we beat you, and you hate us."
-unknown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:35 pm 
Godzilla

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:02 pm 
King Ghidorah

"My brother's Municipal League baseball team is named the Stepdads. Seeing as none of the guys on the team are actual stepdads, I inquired about the name. He explained, "Cuz we beat you, and you hate us."
-unknown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:29 pm 
Mechagodzilla

-American Music Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:26 pm 
Godzilla

I'm glad the preteens are over too.
Can we grow up now?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:20 am 
Godzilla

When I sell-out at the end of the 10s, we'll be a shoe-in for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by the 30s. Can't wait. You should join us. Play for another 10 years and then start writing some hits, for once- some really crappy ones that are catchy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:51 pm 
King Ghidorah

ugh.. i made a huge mistake. i was up in cleveland last saturday, took my kid to see the 'school of rock' grunge concert.. unless you have kids you won't get it. yes it's dumb but at least he was interested in music...
anyways...
i took him to the RR HOF afterwards just for something to do.. cause we were in cleveland and we kept the 'rock' theme going. i think sucked worse than i remember. it is a huuuge waste of time and money. a few things i looked at i went.. oh that's kinda cool. but 98% of it was just boring shit. totally not worth a visit.

-unknown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:30 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I vote for Beethoven's ninth symphony...the 1820's totally blew.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:53 pm 
Godzilla

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:05 pm 
Godzilla

I won a free trip there around 96 or 97, and yes they flew me (which took longer than driving). I do remember some cool stuff, like the scrawled lyrics and costumes, and being amazed at just how tiny your average rock star is. Like, I knew Prince and Madonna were, but not that EVERYONE is. Do they do this to save on set-building materials? It kind of killed my dream of ever making it big, so to speak.

- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:37 pm 
Godzilla

Speaking of set-building materials: I'm making the drum riser for Alice In Chains' Black Gives Way To Blue 2010 tour, and man, is it wimpy.. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm 
Godzilla

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:33 am 
Godzilla

- Kung Fu Monkey