[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Dylan in Canton~setlist~boot

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dylan in Canton~setlist~boot
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:36 pm 
Godzilla

not bad setlist. And hey no xmas songs.. Here's a live audience boot if anyone cares:
http://www.dylannl.nl/Live-2009/1695-20 ... tails.html

Canton, Ohio
Memorial Civic Center
November 5, 2009

1. Watching The River Flow
2. Girl Of The North Country (Bob on guitar)
3. Lonesome Day Blues
4. Love Minus Zero/No Limit (Bob on guitar)
5. High Water (For Charley Patton)
6. If You Ever Go To Houston
7. Cold Irons Bound
8. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
9. Honest With Me
10. Workingman's Blues #2
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Ain't Talkin'
13. Thunder On The Mountain
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man

(encore)
15. Like A Rolling Stone
16. Jolene
17. All Along The Watchtower

Post subject: Re: Dylan in Canton~setlist~boot
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:11 pm 
Mothra

The Columbus and Canton shows are in the top 10 of the 50+ I've seen.
Good shit, old man!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:28 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:37 pm 
Mothra

Columbus Setlist

1. Gonna Change My Way of Thinking
2. Shooting Star (center stage)
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
4. Rollin' and Tumblin'
5. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
6. My Wife's Hometown (guitar)
7. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (center w/ harp)
8. Beyond the Horizon
9. Cold Irons Bound (center)
10. Desolation Row
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Ain't Talkin
13. Thunder on the Mountain
14. Ballad of a Thin Man (center)
(encore)
15. Like A Rolling Stone
16. Jolene
17. All Along The Watchtower

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:21 pm 
Godzilla

2010-11-4
Value City Arena
Schottenstein Center
The Ohio State University
Columbus, OH

Source: Core Sound Binaural mics (Bass Filter On) > Sony D8
(Floor Section F4, Row C, left of center)
Transfer: DAT > Sony Standalone CD Burner > dbpoweramp (FLAC-level 8 ) > Trader's Little Helper (FFP) > Torrent ( mp3 @ 320 kbps)

Tracklist:

(Disc One) (46:02)
01. Intro
02. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
03. Girl From The North Country
04. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
05. Love Sick
06. Summer Days
07. Tangled Up In Blue
08. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
09. Tryin' To Get To Heaven

(Disc Two) (56:09)
01. High Water (For Charley Patton)
02. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
03. Highway 61 Revisited
04. Not Dark Yet
05. Thunder On The Mountain
06. Ballad Of A Thin Man
07. -Encore Break-
08. Jolene + Band Intros
09. Like A Rolling Stone

CD1: http://www.mediafire.com/?9bxjv10qn6d7sdp
CD2:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qh95lb9vscsk4dv

edit>cd2 link fixt

Last edited by underspecialization on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:30 pm 
Mechagodzilla

What a fuckin' great setlist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:07 pm 
Jet Jaguar

i don't know why i let people put me off seeing him for so long. i've heard so much shit about "he stands with his back to the stage/only plays keyboards/you can't even tell which song he's doing, etc." but that is bullshit and i should've recognized it for what it was: the opinions of people i wouldn't otherwise trust in musical matters.

when that dude is standing 40ft away from you singing "stuck inside of mobile" it becomes pretty obvious what is what. one of the best (in any way you'd care to measure it) and most personally moving shows i've ever been to and i plan to see him everytime he comes back until he's in the ground.

i put off seeing him for years, always saying i'd go next time he came 'round. for anyone who hasn't seen him yet, go. you won't be sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:58 pm 
Godzilla

there's a prob with the 2nd cd dl..I'll find the correct one and edit later..

J of L, total right on..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:34 pm 
Godzilla

Nice. "Watching the River Flow" is bad-a$$. That's already on the list I'm compiling for my future blues set, when I'm 60+. It's gonna be killer!

I've seen Dylan about 12 or 13 times. I've seen a couple mediocre sets and some that were absolutely stunning. Saw him in Nashville in a standing room only that held about 800 people. Good times.

Dylan's for real. I don't see how people stop rocking. You gotta do it until your insanity disables you or you die. Use it or lose it and leave a cool skeleton.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:37 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:04 pm 
Godzilla

cd2 link fixt

It's reassuring to read positive responses from ya'll.
First listen thru this set right now. Weird versions of some of those early tunes, with Bob doing the barky vocals and the band apparently not feeling it. Lovesick kills tho, that's a great tune..

The barking disconnects the emotion from the great old 60's tunes, Girl, Tangled, 61, Thin Man. That's a bummer. The bite those lyrics hold are gone because of it. And the band just plays..What's good is, it works on Hard Rain and LARS, but that's because he's not upsinging on those.

Lovesick, and Tryin To Get To Heaven are highlights.

Last edited by underspecialization on Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:16 am 
Godzilla

First time I saw Dylan was 1989 in Dayton. It was the first show after G.E. Smith left the tour and the guy playing stand-up bass literally walked the bass acrosss the stage so he could see what the hell Bob was doing in open tuning. Opened with "Political World". Oh, Mercy! When his voice cracked it felt like the high end was splitting the speakers, your ear drums and your spine. If you don't think that's rock and roll...whatever (yawn your a$$ off).

I saw Lucinda Williams open for him in New Orleans at the Jazz fest. It was one of the first shows he started playing keys or at least the first time I had seen it. Seated behind him, I swear to God the sweat mark on his back grew into the shape of a heart. I wasn't tripping. My girlfriend turned to me almost as soon as I noticed it and said, "Is he sweating in the shape of a heart?" wtf?

That same year I saw Lenny Kravitz open for Tom Petty at the same venue. I was wondering who this unknown Jewish guy could be. Wrong! Ran out and bought "Let Love Rule" (on cassette- haha!) He came out and slammed "Cab Driver" for 10 minutes with a 6-piece rock and roll band with horns. Closed with the title track. Rock and roll transcendence: the then unknown Lenny Kravitz belting it out, swinging his dreads to a packed house of stunned red neck white trash Dayton hosers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:14 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:46 pm 
Jet Jaguar

[quote="underspecialization"]

The barking disconnects the emotion from the great old 60's tunes, Girl, Tangled, 61, Thin Man. That's a bummer. The bite those lyrics hold are gone because of it. And the band just plays..What's good is, it works on Hard Rain and LARS, but that's because he's not upsinging on those.
quote]

overall i can deal with the barky vocals. i agree with you, though - there are times you want him to hit the real important lines the way he does on the recordings. i especially wanted it during "Thin Man" where he's coming out of the bridge "...to all give a check to tax-deductible charity organiZAATIONNNS". just not the same if he can't hit that line the way he oughta.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:13 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:54 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:16 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:38 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:12 pm 
Godzilla

The 1994 Ohio State Fair was the best show I've ever seen him play, by far. He opened with a rocking version of "Jokerman" that took me completely by surprise and played "Mama You've Been on My Mind" acoustic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:57 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:36 am 
Godzilla

Olof Bjorner

Ohio State Fair

Celeste Center

State Fair Grounds

Columbus, Ohio

21 August 1994

1.Jokerman
2.Lay, Lady, Lay
3.All Along The Watchtower
4.Simple Twist Of Fate
5.Tangled Up In Blue
6.Man In The Long Black Coat
7.Mama, You Been On My Mind
8.Masters Of War
9.Love Minus Zero/No Limit
10.God Knows
11.In The Garden
12.Maggie's Farm
13.Ballad Of A Thin Man
14.It Ain't Me, Babe

Concert # 601 of The Never-Ending Tour. Concert # 9 of the 1994 US Summer Tour. 1994 concert # 65.

Concert # 145 with the 9th Never-Ending Tour Band: Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar),
Bucky Baxter (pedal steel guitar & electric slide guitar), John Jackson (guitar),
Tony Garnier (bass), Winston Watson (drums & percussion).

7-9, 14 acoustic with the band.

2, 4, 5, 7, 14 Bob Dylan harmonica.

5 new songs (35%) compared to previous concert. No new songs for this tour.

Stereo audience recording, 110 minutes.

Gopherstick

August 21 Columbus

Sound: 7.5 - Nice sound overall, this one was recorded from a few more rows back than you would usually prefer I think but it is still good.
The crowd is all around but they are just having a good time and not messing things up.
Vocals are clear and the band is well separated but again I wish everything was a few feet closer.

Highlights: the harp solo in Lay, Lady, Lay, Simple Twist Of Fate, Mama, You Been On My Mind, God Knows

Comments: It is kind of funny after a while to hear Dylan struggle with finding his new voice.
In 1994 he still had the wild nasal croon and often times ridiculous phrasing that he had in 1993,
but he also started to develop a new, lower vocal styling, one that came into sharper relief in late 1996 and continues,
at least in some part, to this day.
It is almost spoken word now, and I can take or leave that if you want to know the truth.
Anyway, here on 21 August 1994 he is fighting with his two voices, and that makes for mixed results indeed.
Listen to how Dylan leans into the lines of Simple Twist Of Fate,
he is growling and stretching things out into long weird whispers and generally kicking some ass.
If you are waiting for the other shoe to drop, though, you do not have to wait long I am afraid.
The band is off tonight, though, the guitars are clunky and heavy-handed.
Listen to the hack job they do on All Along The Watchtower, awful.
At least Dylan's harmonica is lively, though, that evens things up a bit, check out the solo on Tangled Up In Blue, it is a goodie.
After a crunchy and appropriately apocalyptic Man In The Long Black Coat Dylan rolls out a beautiful Mama, You Been on My Mind,
a highlight for sure and the crowd roars in approval.
The crowd also seems to love the "won't buy back your soul" line in Masters Of War,
and Dylan responds with some nifty guitar for them to chew on as well.
And I gotta add here that I think the swanky walk down in God Knows that was showcased to perfection
at the Woodstock gig is back here and it is the best thing that ever happened to this song.
Love that "crown upon his head" line from In The Garden, Dylan could not spit that out with any more venom than that.

Bottom Line: Good solid show here, and a fun listen.

http://rapidshare.com/files/365311577/1 ... lumbus.zip