[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - That Summertime Sound

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: That Summertime Sound
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:18 am 
King Ghidorah

DJ Sleepy posted an article about this novel written by Matthew Spektor. The book is set in Columbus in 1986 and is told by an unnamed narrator as he pursues a mythical Ohio band called the Lords of Oblivion.

MTV Press has put it out and it looks like they've spent some cash to promote it. Here you'll find excerpts from the book read by folks you might recognize:

Post subject: Re: That Summertime Sound
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:55 pm 
Mechagodzilla

"All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental."

Perry's
Crazy Lady's
School Daze Records
Nic Devine & Lords Of Oblivion
Plain States feat. Gary Houser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:43 pm 
King Ghidorah

I also wrote another article for the Other Paper that has some other quotes from the author: http://www.theotherpaper.com/articles/2 ... 230263.txt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:02 pm 
Jet Jaguar

damn, hope they make a movie, so that we can license some great plains tunes to them.
but who should play ron house/gary hauser?
i vote for denzel, because i can't think of any movie he's in that sucks.

Old 3C = Alyosha Het, Beatdowns, Beetkeepers, Burn Barrel, Cruel, Cruel Moon, Ego Summit, Fungobat, Great Plains, Househearts, Log, Malefactors of Great Wealth, Mealworms, New Normal, Orchestraville, Peck of Snide, Randall Douglas Matson, Ron House, Saint Paul, Shades of Al Davis, Stark Folk Band, TJSA, Vena Cava.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:07 pm 
Godzilla

I think Ron House would be perfect for the role of Ron House. I think I have his dance moves down, if there's an audition, though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:08 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Does this book have a Donald Oil & The Billionaires in it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:28 pm 
Mechagodzilla

one of my best friends aunt is the lover interest in that book.
true story.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:07 am 
Mechagodzilla

Just found out that the author will be coming to the Wexner the first week of November to do a reading. Very cool.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:46 am 
Mechagodzilla

I just wonder if the book itself is any good, aside from the "hey, I've been to that place!"-factor.

I've read some pretty bad novels about rock.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:18 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:52 pm 
Snarf

As much as I would love for you all to shop at The Wexner Center Store, I have to say the book was a serious disappointment for me.

The silly part about the name changes mentioned earlier is that he mentions lots of other real, non-central ohio places/bands by name. Also, he used one cbus person's real name. She is a marginal character at best in the book, so why that one?

Also, there are at least two downright errors which I (not a professional editor) caught: The hairiest member of the Addams family's name is misspelled; Kitten with a Whip is wrongly attributed to Russ Meyer.

As far as writing quality: he compares carvings in a wooden bar to braille (which would the opposite of carving, wouldn't it?) and describes somebody crazy as being a spoon (or some piece of silverware) short of a dinette set. A dinette set is the FURNITURE.

In addition, there's no plot to speak of. And he tries to create suspense/tension/a sense of wonder by deliberately omitting the narrator's name. I was not a bit intrigued by this device.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Maybe I am nitpicky because I think I could do a better job.

I read an online interview in which Specktor says that in real life, his father is a Hollywood agent. I wonder if GP, JI, etc. are his clients?

Anyway... buy it at The Wex if you must buy it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:09 pm 
Godzilla

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:07 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

reading/signing @ wex

http://www.wexarts.org/learn/?eventid=4229

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:08 pm 
King Ghidorah

J. Mascis said "Coshocton". :!: http://thatsummertimesound.com/

I hope there's not a young blonde on the make.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:31 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:01 am 
Mechagodzilla

*unless your name is Angus Young

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:11 pm 
Snarf

http://www.wexarts.org/bks/?eventid=4229

Next week! Here's your chance to buy the book, meet Specktor and ask him what the hell he was thinking.

I will be there. Word has it that several folks who have freakishly similar names to the book's characters will also be in attendance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:13 pm 
Snarf

Oh, wait: week after next!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:45 pm 
Snarf

I'm really looking forward to meeting Matthew on Wednesday; he attended a few of the concerts during the mid-'80s that Curt Schieber and I promoted but never introduced himself to me. So far, the only people I know of who dislike That Summertime Sound happen to not be in it. Coincidence?????!

Long live The Offense, er, The Attack! And listen to "Yesterday's Top Secrets" (Th & F, 8-9pm) and "Secrets Classic" (M, 8-9pm) on WCRS (98.3 & 102.1 FM, streaming at wcrsfm.org). YTS is currently featuring Love and Lush and will be for the next few weeks, and SC is rebroadcasting previous YTS episodes that featured Sly and the Family Stone and the Sex Pistols (this Monday night) and Steely Dan and the Smiths (the next six Monday nights after that).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:18 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:14 pm 
Mothra

Not good for sales if only those of us in the book like it. I won't be there. I'm working the door at the Blewport that night.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:45 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Old 3C = Alyosha Het, Beatdowns, Beetkeepers, Burn Barrel, Cruel, Cruel Moon, Ego Summit, Fungobat, Great Plains, Househearts, Log, Malefactors of Great Wealth, Mealworms, New Normal, Orchestraville, Peck of Snide, Randall Douglas Matson, Ron House, Saint Paul, Shades of Al Davis, Stark Folk Band, TJSA, Vena Cava.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:27 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Heckling is encouraged. Especially if Mixx Divvvvens tries to pick up a guitar.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:59 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:58 pm 
Snarf

From today's Columbus Dispatch:

http://dispatch.com/live/content/life/s ... ml?sid=101