[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Dinosaur Jr at Newport 10/10

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dinosaur Jr at Newport 10/10
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:38 am 
Mothra

What impressed me at this show: The incredible band and the incredibly lame crowd. What's wrong with people - they stand there and nod at a Dino Jr show? And it was not a bad Dino Jr show, it was a skull peeler. But experiencing this magic in a crowd full of uptight mid-westerners was a bit of a downer. The Akron show earlier this year at least drew a crowd of people who were willing to move around while the music played. Last night there wasn't even a push-n-shove pit up front - just more people standing around. Why?

Thumb
Budge
Imagination Blind
Get Me
Pieces
Crumble
Out There
Over It
Feel The Pain
The Lung
Freakscene
Gargoyle

Encore

Been There All The Time
Just Like Heaven

Post subject: Re: Dinosaur Jr at Newport 10/10
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:00 am 
Godzilla

I dunno... musically, I think it sounded completely amazing, mind-blowing, face-melting, but I was kinda disappointed that they barely acknowledged the crowd at all. Not like I wanted commentary on the "big win"or anything, just some interaction would have been nice. Just seemed two dimensional.

As far as people just standing around? This is Columbus. Anything other than a head bob is grounds for being sneered at.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:13 am 
Mechagodzilla

I loved it, would have liked to have heard Raisins or The Wagon but really I thought it was a great show, I didn't so much mind the mellowness of the crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:29 am 
Jet Jaguar

I didn't really mind the crowd, but then again maybe I'm just used to crowds like that in Columbus. My only complaint is that they didn't play The Wagon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:38 am 
Mothra

What "big win"?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:46 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Found these on the 'Tube this morning.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:16 pm 
Godzilla

Gib asks a similar, valid question in 1985's The Sure Thing. He very well could have said this to Columbus:

"What the hell's wrong with being stupid once in awhile? Does everything you do always have to be sensible? Haven't you ever thrown waterballoons off a roof? When you were a little kid didn't you ever sprinkle Ivory flakes on the living room floor 'cause you wanted to make it snow in July? Didn't you ever get really shitfaced and maybe make a complete fool of yourself and still have an excellent time?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:05 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:45 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:15 pm 
Godzilla

My only complaint has been the set list. I don't particularly need to see them play anything post-Lou B. I saw them play all that stuff in the 90s. I'd rather hear the first 3 albums and the 2 new ones. Freak Scene and Budge were highlights.

That being said, if they were going to play the post-Lou stuff, I would've loved to hear The Wagon too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:15 am 
Mothra

setlist from pontiac,michigan last night - guess they didn't want to play any Farm for us:

Thumb
Tarpit
In a Jar
Been There All The Time
Imagination Blind
Get Me
Pieces
Plans
Feel Pain
Over It
Raisins
Wagon
Freak Scene
I Don't Wanna Go There
---------
Little Fury Things
Just Like Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:57 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

dont hate on me - i got into dinosaur jr late... i love this new album, going to see them in november.

rank your favorite dino jr records in this thread for me to start preparing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:53 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:20 pm 
Godzilla

yer livin all over me=bug>where you been>more light(the fog)>green mind>dinosaur>gasfoodlodging>beyond>without a sound>farm>hand it over (or something) and you need fossils and whatever's cool with me too. also sebadoh vs helmet, good idea. all th records have amazing stuff on em just sometimes you have to skip around and keep in mind th only reasons to have th new ones are th whupass lou songs. if you can find th subpop wagon single th don fleming bside is fantastic so you know maybe get th first gumball record too and velvet monkeys rake sdtk and th deep wound reish and something by gobblehoof.

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:39 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:15 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:24 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I got into them right around the time Where You Been came out so I was glad to see them play a few of those songs on Saturday night, especially Get Me. I've always loved that song.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:39 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Bug/You're Living All Over me
Green Mind
Whatever's Cool With Me
Beyond
Farm

I dig the two new ones quite a bit but start at the beginning, they're even better in context.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:17 am 
Snarf

Here are some shots of Lou Barlow and the Missing Men. Dinosaur Jr. to come later.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/foshydog/s ... 452367503/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:00 pm 
King Ghidorah

"My brother's Municipal League baseball team is named the Stepdads. Seeing as none of the guys on the team are actual stepdads, I inquired about the name. He explained, "Cuz we beat you, and you hate us."
-unknown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:32 pm 
Snarf

here are the dinosaur jr. pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/foshydog/s ... 581289850/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:16 am 
Godzilla

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:12 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:28 pm 
King Ghidorah

fyi.. i heard J has arthritis.. the reason the shows aren't as long anymore.

"My brother's Municipal League baseball team is named the Stepdads. Seeing as none of the guys on the team are actual stepdads, I inquired about the name. He explained, "Cuz we beat you, and you hate us."
-unknown