[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - OH CRAP - VOL.5

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OH CRAP - VOL.5
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:37 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

OH CRAP is returning just in time for Comfest.

Want to be included on the comp? Let me know ASAP by sending an email to atomicned@gmail.com. I'll need all tracks by June 19.

If you don't have something ready but think you can finish something up by the 19th, let me know so that I can potentially save you a spot.

Post subject: Re: OH CRAP returns
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:15 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Got enough interest for an EP so far. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:43 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:26 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I *might* be able to squeeze another 3 or so songs onto the comp. Consider this a last call. I've got 16 tracks in hand and am waiting on word back from another 3 or 4 bands. If you want to submit something, send an MP3 to atomicned@gmail.com as soon as possible (and no later than noon on Saturday).

Looking forward to sharing this with y'all. It'll be available at the Comfest Merch Booth next weekend and I'll also put up a link where you can download the entire thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:57 pm 
Godzilla

I think I have three of these and they are all quite enjoyable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:37 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

OH CRAP VOL.5

"Dirty Power" – The Bom Selleck
"Leave it Tonight" – Josh Fitzwater and The Shambles
"Back to New York" – Keith Jenkins & The Moving Parts
"Hot Boots" – Bird and Flower
"Lonely Bones" – Colin Gawel
"Falls the Shadow" – Hayseed
"Night Crawler" – Bill Kurzenberger
"Conspicuous Consumption" – Vespin
"Record in the Sleeve" – Like Giants
"Metal Hairpiece" – Dr. Robot
"Until it's Gone" – Paper Airplane
"Echo Wheel" – Woosley Band
"Gravity's Heart" – Bush League All-Stars
"Sleep Well" – Ryan Smith
"Mystery to Me" – Mike Switzer
"White Water" – Househearts
"Pissed it Away" – The Vague
"Mayqueen" – The Lost Revival
"Lies" – Bookmobile

Available for $1 at the Comfest Merch Booth this weekend.

More info about the bands on the CD as well as my thoughts and opinions coming next week.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:34 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

i am glad you did this again

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:33 pm 
Jet Jaguar

yes, very cool indeed.

Post subject: Re: OH CRAP - VOL.5
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:03 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Download now: http://www.sendspace.com/file/8h13kg

Love to hear your thoughts/reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:39 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I let iTunes shuffle determine the playlist.

"Dirty Power" – The Bom Selleck
Great start to the CD. Love the song, the only thing I could maybe do without are the screamo backing vocals. Kinda reminds me of Circus of Power or something - sleaze rock.

"Leave it Tonight" – Josh Fitzwater and The Shambles
Everything I read about this band made me think they were alt.country or something like that. This is straight-up rock n' roll. This is one of the things that makes me happy about putting this together - I'd never heard of these guys before getting this song. Definitely going to do some more investigating.

"Back to New York" – Keith Jenkins & The Moving Parts
Keith's most accessible work to date. I can see this going over with The Fray/Augustana-type crowd.

"Hot Boots" – Bird and Flower
A song that both my kids and I like. Maybe a little repetitious in the lyrics but this could be a Tings Tings song, right?

"Lonely Bones" – Colin Gawel
I had no clue that Colin released a 4-song EP recently. From what I gather, he's not doing quite as much singing with Watershed anymore so this is a good outlet.

"Falls the Shadow" – Hayseed
Liked this one but thought maybe a minute could have been trimmed off it. A little more country than alt.country but not super twangy or anything. I never get out to see bands but Hayseed's on my short list that I'll try to see at some point.

"Night Crawler" – Bill Kurzenberger
Not really a jam-band fan and I think Bill's got a background with jam bands but I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

"Conspicuous Consumption" – Vespin
RAWK n' ROLL!!!!! You know I love anything with Ben "The Dragon" Kemp on drums.

"Record in the Sleeve" – Like Giants
ex-Hot Damn members. Last year I wrote that I wished Ash would step up to the microphone more because I really liked her voice and in this band she handles all the lead vocals. This is my favorite track on the CD.

"Metal Hairpiece" – Dr. Robot
My other favorite track on the CD - this is a collaboration (via email) between Robotboy and Dr. Rock. I'm hoping they've got an album's worth of stuff in the hopper.

"Until it's Gone" – Paper Airplane
Looking forward to hearing the entire new Paper Airplane CD - based on this track I think it'll be a natural next step for the band.

"Echo Wheel" – Woosley Band
Another Woosley Band release coming soon? You kind of know what you're going to get with the Woosley Band and while there have been some lineup changes, I'm glad that Sean is still cranking them out.

"Gravity's Heart" – Bush League All-Stars
It's about time for a new CD from BLAS. I haven't seen this lineup of the band but if you want to talk all-star line-up, this is it. Dan's always been one of my favorite Columbus musicians so this is another CD that I'm really looking forward to hearing.

"Sleep Well" – Ryan Smith
Maybe the best sounding track (studio wise) on the CD. A little prophetic lyrically, talking about planes falling from the sky and stuff. This one would go great on a soundtrack to one of those Gossip Girl type shows.

"Mystery to Me" – Mike Switzer
I work with Mike. He used to front a jam band (Grasshopper Pie) in Columbus and I knew he was working on some home recordings. Once again, not a big fan of the jam band stuff but this is more singer/songwriter stuff and to me maybe the biggest surprise on the CD.

"White Water" – Househearts
What year was this recorded? It sounds like it could have been recorded in 1985, 1995 or 2009, right? This is Paul Nini's old band and I think he said this was recorded in 1985. It sounds pretty modern to me and I'm hoping the whole CD sounds like this (he's releasing it soon on Old 3C).

"Pissed it Away" – The Vague
I always think of The Vague as a post-hair metal band though I know Chuck's definitely leaning more towards power-pop with this band. Wasn't what I expected (in a good way - I was expecting something that sounded like 1979 Cheap Trick) but I think it fits very nicely on this CD.

"Mayqueen" – The Lost Revival
A late addition to the CD. Another example of a band that I've heard a lot about but haven't listened to until now and one that I'll definitely keep my eyes (ears) on.

"Lies" – Bookmobile
Superman Gardner makes another appearance on an OH CRAP CD (OH CRAP VOL. 4 featured his solo stuff under the name Winter Makes Sailors). I think they said this song is a demo ... I'm not sure what the status of recording is but I know lots of people are very interested in a full length from these guys, myself included.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:22 am 
Mothra

Hell Yeah!

Thanks for letting us be a part of the rock show.
Glad those fuckers sold like hot cakes at ComFest!
Let's do an OH CRAP release show with a few of the bands from the comp. and give it another go!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:21 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:13 pm 
Mothra

Thanks so much for including us on the comp!

We had a great time at Comfest. Thanks to all who saw us.

We DO have an album in the works, but as we are all in other bands (Paper Airplane, Pretty Mighty Mighty, the Kyle Sowashes, Melty Melty, Winter Makes Sailors & the Receiver) we have limited time to get it done. The music is recorded but we still need to finish the vocals and mix. We'll be sure to let you know when its done. We may put off playing shows so we can finish this thing.

OH CRAP deserved more than a rough demo from us. If we have an opportunity to get something better done, we'd love to redeem ourselves. Thanks again, Chip. :clap: