[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - OHIO ROCKS cover story in The Other Paper

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OHIO ROCKS cover story in The Other Paper
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:00 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

awesome reading

http://theotherpaper.com/articles/2009/ ... 782307.txt

Post subject: Re: OHIO ROCKS cover story in The Other Paper
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:29 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

geological survey education program for poor kids:
http://www.cetconnect.org/ohiorocks/resources/index.asp

webzine:
http://www.ohiorocks.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:43 am 
Godzilla

groundrules, you are the one who can bridge the gap between rock and rocks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:47 am 
Godzilla

Excellent example of Trademark/IP law impeding free speech.

How can the Gov. trademark (or copyright) anything?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:51 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:09 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:44 am 
Godzilla

I used to write for that webzine six/seven years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:49 am 
Godzilla

Mr. White mentions that if the government uses the name Ohio Rocks it will cause confusion on Google, which I believe. When I was writing for Ohiorocks.com, I mentioned it to someone and they said, "Oh, is that a geological thing?"

This person knew me enough to know that I had no knowledge/interest in geology, and tons of interest in music. And he still thought it was about actual rocks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:04 pm 
Godzilla

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:41 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:15 am 
Snarf

I thought the article was an april fools, but sure enough this .com- Mr. White, used about $1,000 to trademark his brand, and he won't let the other rock guys use it for their rock project. By that he must mean, scientists in the field of solid matter, who work and research to better understanding of humans in/of their environment. They are a .org- and White is holding up funding they were going to raise, for their agenda- graduate research. Mr. White's agenda is finding potentiol consumers (of his agenda) on google. He could share the name, but no. He thinks any p.r. is good p.r.-just ask the p.r. firm to the Nazi Party. For his indie alternative blog- by indie and alt., i mean utterly without meaning, no longer designating value/sound. As I told him, Ohioans who smoke rocks know more about rock culture than he. Get a real job! He does local bands diservice. In matter of fact, most Columbus music writers seem to have know affection for music at all. Or writing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:55 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:05 am 
Mechagodzilla

there's no reason why they can't both use the name. if the zine is so concerned about Google rankings then they should concentrate on updated content and link referrals, which will push them up to the top spot (they're currently 4th).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:26 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:42 pm 
Godzilla

Last edited by underspecialization on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:24 pm 
Snarf

I know that was sarcastic, i'll take that. And I was basing that on only reading the tabloid press in town. Reading around the net, I take it back. the town tabloids, refer to bands as 'indipop', indierock. To me that is lazy, says nothing about the band or music. Indie used to mean, on an independent label. Because about only four labels had big distribution power. That's surely no longer the case. Then it was supposed to represent a sound, supposedly. It is a meaningless term in a global community.Indiepop? Pop is popular music! And 'rock' isn't very helpful descriptively either. Good writing describes the bands sound, scene. And when done well raises the bar for music and writing. I know this isonly Columbus, Ohio, but there is alot of innovative rocking good news going on! I would like to see the tradition continue, I am not some kind of academic elite, I'm an eighth grade drop out. Viva la Doors!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:03 pm 
Godzilla

confuseddildo.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:35 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I have a novel idea for Mr. White - get a new fucking name.

How many cities or states already "rock" anyways? Drew Carey tells me Cleveland Rocks. Seriously though, I am siding with the state on this one and I could give a rat's ass about quartz.

And as far as the rockin' music blog in question - horrible.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:23 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

The geologists win:

http://www.theotherpaper.com/news/artic ... f887a.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:50 pm 
Snarf