[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - BIG ELF

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BIG ELF
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm 
Mechagodzilla

If Jesus had giant balls, a shit ton of gear and 3 other bad mother fuckers and they formed a band I'm sure it would be the closest thing to Big Elf. Or in other words, Big Elf is the closest thing to seeing god. All I can say is holy fuck. My head was blown off. Kennedy style.

You didn't even need to hear these guys...just looking at them and their gear on stage, you know these guys are operating on a whole other level. They're not of this planet. I'm not even sure if they're of this stratosphere. They're that fucking outrageously good.

I've seen millions of shows in my life, but this was one of the very best. Certainly the best thing I've seen in years. Their album is amazing, but I thought they sounded even better live. Sonically, it was just nuts. I felt like I was tripping.

This was the best show of the year....by far. And I couldn't even begin to describe it or give it a proper review. I'm fucked.

And for you little indie rats growing those prison pussies on your faces, get a load of Big Elf's full on viking man beards. That's how you grow a beard.

Post subject: Re: BIG ELF
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:17 pm 
Godzilla

full on viking man beards

and eyeliner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:14 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I had daddy duty last night and couldn't go to this show. :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:32 pm 
Godzilla

dear johnny gonzo,
we must not have been at the same bigelf show last nite. what a fucking bunch of posers. the guy played the house organ and some other keyboard 98% of the time. he may have touched the mellotron twice. and two of the other ones not at tall. pure douchery. and i'm all for hack playing almost with two fingers, but i guess not so much when you bring ten thousand dollars worth of vintage crap. and wtf were those two deals sitting on top of the rack and organ? oscilloscopes? tire pressure gauges? retarded. the rack had a fucking DAT player in it and shit. turn it on! pretty lights! they'll never know the difference! all in service of probably the most unengaging music i've heard in a long while. and that's fucking saying something. and the least that douche singer coulda done is not show me his satin crotch the whole fucking time. most douchey and disturbing keyboard configuration ever. a very, very serious contender for worst show i've ever seen. good thing the new bartender is hella cute.

gawd it's funny that priestess and treasure cat play to nine fucking people and sideboobs like bigelf (get it? hmm? elves are like small?? what. the fuck. ever.) pack the place.

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:47 pm 
Godzilla

i went to this and was less than impressed as well

i mean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:07 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:40 pm 
Godzilla

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:52 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:29 am 
Mechagodzilla

I am somewhere in the middle here.
Fun show but a lot could have been that I was out drinking with a friend I have not been out with in some time.
I did not have expectations as I did not know anything of Big Elf other than the Money song. I was there from start to finish. What I was not super impressed by were the vocals. I was told to be ready for this HUGE vocal performance and it was not really delivered. That said I really enjoyed the rest of the rock but....
You could very easily be a casual to semi-serious music fan and have the influences of this band pegged. Black Sabbath meets David Gilmour Floyd (circa Dark Side with a splash of the Wall). You know what? I was ok with that because it sounded good and Dark Side of the Moon is one of my all-time favorites...all time!
Not the best show I'll see this year...by FAR but certainly not the worst either.
I saw you dudes!
Cruise, when isn't practice?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 am 
Mechagodzilla

One thing we can all agree on...the shrooms I was on were really good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:43 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:52 am 
Godzilla

you guys are up early on a sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:30 pm 
Mechagodzilla

P.S> Joel Treadway's beard was far, far tougher than any or all of those dudes in Big Elf. I would fight bikers with Joel and his beard on my side!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:36 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:54 pm 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

Big Elf's drummer must have set up in record time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:29 pm 
King Ghidorah

Damn Mr. Cruise....you need some chill pills bro. No need to spew so much bile. That was one of the worst shows you've "ever" seen.... seriously...?

I thought the show was kick ass. Actually it exceeded my expectations. They did a long set and kept my interest for 80-90 mins straight. The agent they have has helped me out with some great shows and asked me to check these guys out for a Ravari show. I booked them on the basis of the new disc really sounds good and I love most anything that has that 70's era sound. I'm not the biggest fan and certainly don't know all of the catalog but it was a different type of show/night all together. I agree that they didn't have the over the top harmonies on most tunes but that's studio tricks and toys I guess. Fuck man, they came in with no pretentious attitude, were very happy to be playing to a nicely filled room and best of all never were douchebag's AT ALL. So what if they had a bunch of gear, wore tight satin pants and eyeliner....they were putting on a show man.

Gotta call ya on this one...you are flat out wrong about the house organ at Ravari. It wasn't being used. They brought in all their own stuff from the trailer bro. I helped load it all in.

I'd have them back anytime.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:21 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I've been digging Bigelf for a while and was completely psyched for this show. A definite not-to-be missed on the events list and the payoff was huge. I hate to be a copy cat, but before seeing this thread I'd already been telling everyone I know that that was one of the best concerts I've seen...in my life...and I go to 100 shows a year. Sometimes with all that the gigs fade from memory quickly, but Bigelf at the Ravari will be etched for a long time to come.

I absolutely loved every second of the show. The drummer was great, the bass player was great, the guitar player was incredible. I also noticed a little overkill on the keyboard bank and that some of it was never used, but so what. Vocals were f-ing superb. I thought it sounded harder and less-poppy than the CDs I've been able to get my hands on. I was expecting more Lollipop Factory but got more Buffalo Killers. Works for me...

Anyway, not that anyone gives two shits about my opinion, but I was completely in heaven. Thanks for bringing them to Columbus!

Looking forward to Radio Moscow and Dead Man tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:58 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:10 pm 
King Ghidorah

On a regular gig with 2 or 3 bands on the bill the singer said they normally play an hour set with a nice mix of old songs and new. But since there was no opening act (and no room on the stage to have one) they planned on a 90 min set. Plus the 2 song encore...that was an extra bonus! So nearly 100 min set.

Have a Cigar from Pink Floyd was the closing tune. Absolutely amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:26 pm 
Mechagodzilla

yeah, that ruled Doom....I think I even saw Pink Floyd's giant inflatable pig flying thru the Ravari. Turns out it was just a chic I was trying to pick up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:00 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Geez, had I known an old scraggly gray beard impressed rockhounds and bartemptresses so much ...

I did some trimming today ... maybe that was a mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:34 pm 
King Ghidorah

John Petric was there to review it so I am curious to find out if he will praise them or dog them.

The tour manager told me that they usually play 1,500-2000 seat theaters/venues in Europe. Kind of a guilty pleasure, cult favorite band over there. They relocated to Los Angeles 5 years ago and have been trying to break into the American markets ever since. Linda Perry (4 Non Blondes) has been helping them mostly...ie. record label, great agent, tour bus, crew...etc. Nice guys and they deserve it.

For all the hype and critical praise heaped on this band that barely anybody knows I think they delivered the goods. The local press did an outstanding job helping me get the word out. There were about 160 people in attendance Friday including guests and I'd have to say that 85% of them were in awe and loved the set. And that is pretty damn good I say. Some dude I don't know came up to me and said thanks for bringing one of his favorite bands to Ravari. He never thought that they would ever play in Columbus. That was very cool. Dude, if your are reading this...thank you.

Maybe when they come back they'll have the lasers and dry ice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:39 am 
King Ghidorah

Damn, I must have missed Joel being there because the beard. I never have seen him rock the beard.

I swear to god I am at shows all the time and find out later that a bunch of people I know were there too and I never saw them. I must have forgotten to take off my cloak of invisibility.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:38 pm 
Mechagodzilla