[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Girl Talk (merged threads)

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: girl talk in columbus january at newport
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:25 am 
Godzilla

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:44 am 
Mothra

Normally I could give two poops about mash-ups, but this Girl Talk stuff is fun, fun, fun! Got my tix for Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:00 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

GIRL TALK NIGHT 2 SOLD OUT!

Two nights sold out? Do you think they're opening it up to the full 1,700 (or whatever) capacity for both nights? Cuz if THAT is the case then shit is crazy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:03 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:23 pm 
Godzilla

I remain baffled. I suppose that by next week's episode, we'll be onto a new set of shenanigans, so I'm just going to have to wait this one out.

User Experience edit:

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

Last edited by abstraction on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:59 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Ticket buying behavior and show attendance in Columbus always baffles me. Tons of shows come through town that end up with small crowds (Nine Inch Nails, Gnarls Barkley, etc.) and then there are other shows that surprisingly sell out their venue (TV on the Radio selling out the Newport about 2 years ago surprised the hell out of me in a good way). Regardless, selling out two nights at the Newport is damn impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:07 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:48 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:55 pm 
King Ghidorah

1700? 2 nights? Chump change.

The retro mashup is what's next.

They're gonna have to add another balcony to the Newport when I show up with my Edison Idelia. Screw the wussy-boy button pusher. I've been working my crankin' arm for months.

Free jars of Eustus McGillicutty's salve for the first 100 ladies through the door.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:40 am 
Godzilla

nu rave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:46 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Destroying intellectual freedom is always evil, but only religion makes doing evil feel quite so good. - P. Pullman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:30 pm 
King Ghidorah

He has obviously not seen the hippies at a phish show. while I do like girl talk, there is just something creepy about paying money to go see some skinny white dude get sweaty while pushing buttons on his computer. I dont have to leave the house to see that. I can just throw itunes on party shuffle..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:22 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:01 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:35 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I just found out I'm blasting the Toilet Paper gun for the show tomorrow...for anyone who doesn't know what that is, it's exactly what it sounds like and you'll see soon enough.

http://www.theoutersounds.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:48 am 
Mothra

Can someone who went tonight give set times?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:36 am 
Mothra

Wow, awesome. 1700 people with no attention spans looking like this...

Oh right, it's about chasing the bush, not the music. I get it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 pm 
Jet Jaguar

seriously,
you can butt fuck your own face if you think this shit is good.

or fuck your face in the ass.

makes no nevermind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:39 pm 
Jet Jaguar

well...I had an awesome time. There were three openers and Girl Talk went on around 10:15 and played till around 11:45. The 2nd opener (the only one who was a band) was actually decent last night, but I can't remember what they're called. I wanna say hearts of darkness.

http://www.theoutersounds.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:57 am 
Jet Jaguar

I went on Saturday night. I had a front row view of a bouncer slamming some guy into the floor head first. Dude was out cold and when they dragged him away there was a big pool of blood. Several minutes later guy was still out cold in the lobby and some EMTs were loading him onto a stretcher. Hope he's OK but it was definitely a fucked up thing to see. Other than that the show was OK. Definitely not my scene and I felt very old (I'm 32). I ended up leaving around 11:15.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:37 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:12 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:26 pm 
Mothra

Pix from Saturday's show here:

http://indiecolumbus.com/site/post/girl ... ort_photos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:04 am 
Mothra

Even though I am far too old, I went to the Girl Talk show on Sunday. Yes, it is short-attention span theater for the college crowd, but I'll be damned if it wasn't fun. It was not a concert by any stretch of the imagination. It is completely fruitless to compare a Girl Talk set to, say, a Fleshtones concert. It's basically just a dance party with one guy (I wouldn't even call him a DJ) splicing popular songs together from a bunch of different genres. Imagine a pastiche of song snippets like they play on radio stations in between songs (you know, the kind that usually culminates in Suzy Wuad blurting out the radio station's frequency. Did I mention I'm far too old for this?)...but lasting an hour and a half, and probably cooler than it sounds.

The audience is definitely the show. All sorts of misbehavin' set to a throbbing dancebeat and 90 minutes of hooks from hip-hop, rock, disco...even the Greatful Dead (yikes). From my relativelly safe vantage point on the balcony, I observed:

- A dude dressed like Green Man ("Always Sunny...")
- 3 or 4 X'd-up female nymphos making out with each other for 30 consecutive minutes
- Some polka dot dress-wearing hussy was grinding on a Newport bouncer for the majority of the show (note: why does stuff like this never happen to me at my job?)
- Some dude in an electric shirt
- A catfight (yes!)
- Toilet paper cannons (lame)
- Some dude with a moustache wearing sunglasses, a beret, and a tan jacket adorned with caricatures of himself trying to "fire up the crowd"...and then falling from the railing.
- Enough moshing, crowd-surfing, and debris-throwing to make Ozzfest jealous

The rap duo that opened up, Grand Buffet, was downright comical, in a good way. At no point did I consider selling my guitar for a Saran-Wrap covered laptop and a tracksuit, but I got my $16 worth of entertainment. Probably woulda been better if I was 10 years younger and brave enough to mix it up in the crowd.