[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Kanye West, 808s and Heartbreaks

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kanye on SNL
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:52 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:54 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:11 pm 
Mothra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:19 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject: Re: Kanye West, 808s and Heartbreaks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:27 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I'd say we've pretty much made it right back to page 1.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:33 pm 
Godzilla

I also give the thread merge a D-

I recommend a lockdown.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:38 pm 
King Ghidorah

Thread merge? A Tool used by moderators to feel useful. Quit your hating :)--Derail subject and avoid the dreaded locked thread.

Bottom line is that performance was horrible. There is nothing to defend. It was the opposite of good, simple as that. I bet he even knows it. Hell, It would of been 100 times better if he hadn used the AT, at least then it would have been funny instead of uncomfortable to watch and listen. More cowbell? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:41 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:43 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:47 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:13 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:39 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:50 pm 
Godzilla

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that it's good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:53 pm 
Mechagodzilla

http://radioactivesox.tumblr.com/

"you can call me the nannerpus, nannerpus.
guess what? i love pancakes."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:01 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:25 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:19 pm 
King Ghidorah

I don't care about the effect or "cheating" (hell, I love Cynic and they use all Vocoder vocals) or any of that. The songs were lame, and he has done so much better on earlier efforts, and his appearance on SNL was boring and lame compared to what he is normally capable of.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:29 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:39 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:54 pm 
Mechagodzilla

1.doctor rock gonzo et al...i really don't have the energy for the whole rockist debate..cause i think the effects of anti-rockism sometimes let rock critics set up things on different slant the wrong way too...

but ""A rockist isn't just someone who loves rock 'n' roll, who goes on and on about Bruce Springsteen, who champions ragged-voiced singer-songwriters no one has ever heard of. A rockist is someone who reduces rock 'n' roll to a caricature, then uses that caricature as a weapon. Rockism means idolizing the authentic old legend (or underground hero) while mocking the latest pop star; lionizing punk while barely tolerating disco; loving the live show and hating the music video; extolling the growling performer while hating the lip-syncher. " By KELEFA SANNEH NYTimes October 31, 2004."

but really i like auto-tune so we are gonna go very far.
it makes shit sound like robots. futuristic and such
who is william holiday?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/31/arts/ ... wanted=all

2-rollie-rappers been staying and copping gear forever....
and disrespecting woman who can't defend themselves.

as far as "all falls down"

"[Verse - Kanye West]
Man I promise, she's so self conscious
She has no idea what she's doing in college
That major that she majored in don't make no money
But she won't drop out, her parents will look at her funny
Now, tell me that ain't insecurrre
The concept of school seems so securrre
Sophmore three yearrrs aint picked a careerrr
She like fuck it, I'll just stay down herre and do hair
Cause that's enough money to buy her a few pairs of new Airs
Cause her baby daddy don't really care
She's so precious with the peer pressure
Couldn't afford a car so she named her daughter Alexus (a Lexus)
She had hair so long that it looked like weave
Then she cut it all off now she look like Eve
And she be dealing with some issues that you can't believe
Single black female addicted to retail and well

[Chorus - repeat 2x (w/ Kanye ad-libs)]

[Verse - Kanye West]
Man I promise, I'm so self conscious
That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches
Rollies and Pasha's done drove me crazy
I can't even pronounce nothing, pass that versace!
Then I spent 400 bucks on this
Just to be like nigga you ain't up on this!
And I can't even go to the grocery store
Without some ones thats clean and a shirt with a team
It seems we living the american dream
But the people highest up got the lowest self esteem
The prettiest people do the ugliest things
For the road to riches and diamond rings
We shine because they hate us, floss cause they degrade us
We trying to buy back our 40 acres
And for that paper, look how low we a'stoop
Even if you in a Benz, you still a nigga in a coop/coupe

[Chorus - repeat 2x (w/ Kanye ad-libs)]

[Verse - Kanye West]
I say fuck the police, thats how I treat em
We buy our way out of jail, but we can't buy freedom
We'll buy a lot of clothes when we don't really need em
Things we buy to cover up what's inside
Cause they make us hate ourself and love they wealth
That's why shortys hollering "where the ballas' at?"
Drug dealer buy Jordans, crackhead buy crack
And a white man get paid off of all of that
But I ain't even gon act holier than thou
Cause fuck it, I went to Jacob with 25 thou
Before I had a house and I'd do it again
Cause I wanna be on 106 and Park pushing a Benz
I wanna act ballerific like it's all terrific
I got a couple past due bills, I won't get specific
I got a problem with spending before I get it
We all self conscious I'm just the first to admit it"

. kanye was the first artist on a mainstream level to not draw a line in the sand.
where it's either "my fur game is at all time high" or "i'm sick of versace glasses" but explain this materialistic aspect of hip hop culture exists because people are compensating for something..

i remember a q-tip interview i read where he said that alot of nihilism in rap exist because people are getting shot..poverty all that stuff
but hip hop culture didn't allow vulnerability so even though cats are depressed....
the only way to channel it is in violence, and anger.

if you recall all the questions about minstrel culture
you know
are black artists are allowed to express themselves as individuals by corperations and white listeners?
then "all falls down" is actually a really important song.

if you don't like kanye i feel it. he can be annoying. and the pity party that he throws for himself on this record is kinda hard to stomach...like i mean if you
want a sports car, and a kid with a report card you could prolly have them both..

but i really like the album. 1.cause i think it sounds good. 2.its mainstream manifestation of the fact that radiohead and t-pain get alot of burn within the black music community...

but...i feel you doug

jap city is hilarious

http://nerdwithswag.com/negroes-with-purses-video/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:21 pm 
Godzilla

I'm not here to debate either and I can't fucking stand Bruce Springsteen. Way to stereotype!

All I said was that I think he used autotune because he can't sing. He's a hell of a producer and a great lyricist and I had higher expectations. I'm not sure how that makes me a "rockist".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:25 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:33 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:40 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:47 pm 
Mechagodzilla

this one is actually better

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next