[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Kanye West, 808s and Heartbreaks

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kanye West, 808s and Heartbreaks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:03 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:12 pm 
Godzilla

so i've been listening this album on and off all day-kinda hard to make it through imo

love lockdown is a pretty cool track but it's pretty much an album full of love lockdown only not as good

i think he should have released this for free a la the slip

the autotune is so painful

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:51 am 
Jet Jaguar

What is this shit? I listened three times through to give it a real sporting chance, but no go. You could take the worst tracks off the first three records (not including skits) and it would probably be a better listen than this. Love Lockdown and Paranoid both rule, but beyond that, it is all meandering and droning synths with a bunch of bitching about a girl and how fame is not all its cracked up to be. Fascinating in a car wreck sort of way, rubberneck and move on. Paranoid really does rule though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:18 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:03 pm 
Mechagodzilla

I'm so glad I stopped giving this idiot any seconds of my time. Kanye blows.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:56 pm 
Godzilla

kanye west's party dream

Post subject: Kanye on SNL
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:39 am 
King Ghidorah

Is is just me or does the inventor of Auto Tune need to be held accountable for his crimes against humanity!

1 word review.

Sucked

Post subject: Re: Kanye on SNL
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:10 pm 
Godzilla

Both performances were super-weak. No amount of autotune could have saved them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:28 pm 
Mechagodzilla

2) Hating on Auto-Tune- Critics need to stop bitching. It’s like getting mad at a guitar player for using a wha-wha pedal. For a rappers, the voice is the instrument of choice. They should be able to alter their voice however they want. What else do you expect them to do, get on the piano and hammer out a solo? It’s rapping. This is not music theory 101.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:58 pm 
Godzilla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ffUOTiS2Ao

Singing to a backing track must be so difficult.

Check :39 in and then about :44 seconds in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:38 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:40 pm 
King Ghidorah

1. tom morello sucks
2. "love lockdown" is a tight song
3. "hairbraider" is a tight song
4. "chopped and screwed" is a tight song
5. "believe" was cher's best song since "gypsies, tramps and thieves"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:19 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Kanye needs to return to the studio and keep to the beats.

That shit is embarrassing for humanity.

Using too much auto-tune IS like using too much wah-wah. Which explains why it is inexplicably bad, a crutch for lacking actual creativity and originality. If you can't sing, just don't sing at all, or do it sparingly. If you can't play an original slick guitar lead, don't use the wah-wah, play two chords and record it on a four track.

Don't even get me started on all the gender-role flipping, misogynist bullshit he's peddling to people, who are sadly eating it up. Why did people completely stop thinking about the music they listen to?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:24 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:54 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:02 am 
Godzilla

Autotune as an instrument is OK by me, but as soon as people started calling Kanye a crooner, I had to be critical of his actual ability to do so. No amount of any crutch of any kind would have saved the SNL performance.

That SNL performance was weak. I watched Love Lockdown twice because I couldn't believe how bad it was. This guy is a superstar and he needs to perform that way. In the control room as a producer, he's a master of his craft. He wouldn't half-ass that like he's half-assing his performances lately. I give it a D -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:47 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:48 am 
Godzilla

my friend was there and said it was way better live, but that the mini-concert he did after the show was WAY better than the two during...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:18 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:46 pm 
Mechagodzilla

anyone who equates auto-tune with a wha pedal doesn't know what the fuck is up.

Auto tune is for people who can't sing in tune. Now if someone didn't know how to tune their guitar, that would be another story.

auto tune might be a "tool" but its a tool for people lacking real talent.

Do you think Billie Holiday would need an auto tune.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:46 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

what autotune was created for and what it is used for ---- who cares, right?

i mean i like a lot of albums and songs that use found sounds or unique things as instruments and i'm never OMFG WHY DID HE USE A COWBELL FOR MUSIC WHEN IT SHOULD BE AROUND A COW'S NECK!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:55 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:12 pm 
Mechagodzilla

I'm a fan of cleverly-used autotune here and there. When T-Pain came out on all those tracks a few years back I was all about it.

I've loved ZAPP since I was a kid, and Troutman used the talkbox on every song. That didn't bother me. So it's not the presence of the autotune that bothers me, it's the way he uses it.

But I've wasted too much time already ranting against the new Kanye. I'm not a fan, not of the album as a whole (couple of the tracks sound pretty "hot") and not of his message. A lot of people are, and that's fine. I just really hope we aren't lowering our standards when it comes to the music we consume. Just because he is trying something different does not mean it is good. Just because he's not supposed to use autotune on every track (that's for T-Pain) doesn't make it worthy.

If you think it is good music, interesting music, that is one thing. But if it is good or interesting only in context of all the other crap that's out there, or preconceived notions, then that does not make it good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:31 pm 
King Ghidorah

Wait, what? He was using auto tune on that? It must have been malfunctioning or not programmed correctly because he was still out of tune as fuck on those songs.

But I really don't care about that, because even when sung well, the songs still were crap. He can do so much better than that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:43 pm 
King Ghidorah

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next