[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - THU - OCT 16- Paramount Styles (ex GvsB) @ The Summit

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THU - OCT 16- Paramount Styles (ex GvsB) @ The Summit
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:31 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Scott from Girls Against Boys is supposed to be playing at the Summit on Thursday night - at least according to his MySpace page (http://myspace.com/paramountstylesnyc). It's not listed on The Summit/Cafe Bourbon St. MySpace page so I have no details on the show (start time? openers?)

Post subject: Re: THU - OCT 16- Paramount Styles (ex GvsB) @ The Summit
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:15 pm 
Mothra

start time is 10 pm, openers are matt whitehurst (nee horseshit) and electric jellyfish.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:22 pm 
Mechagodzilla

jealous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:05 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:00 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:46 pm 
Mechagodzilla

cover is $6
& matt horseshit is playing too
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:36 am 
Mechagodzilla

kill the bassplayer.
kill both bassplayers.
kill the drummer he can't play.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:07 pm 
Jet Jaguar

yet another woefully under attended show

People bitch about "touring bands" skipping Columbus because Little Brothers is gone, soon all bands of any size should pass on through at this rate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:30 pm 
Godzilla

Damn it. I should have gone. I would've added at least $100 to bar sales, too. Feeling kind of guilty.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:40 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Ha,

I think they should cheer when i come in because they know the bar has been saved by my wallet

Also, I have greatly added to my record collection just by trying to help touring bands who have just made 40 dollars from their show

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:55 pm 
Mothra

hey guys,
any thoughts on why some of these excellent shows are just not getting thier due would be appreciated. we are taking out bi-weekly ads in the paper starting this thursday, but i mean, i'm not willing to believe that people are just apathetic yet. because i've seen them in droves hanging out at shows. so what the fuck gives?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:47 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:04 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Good points Ned

I have brought up the idea of getting a marquee type sign where you could put the bands names on to drum up a little excitement and to let new people in town know that there is some life inside.

Scott wasn't bummed, I talked to him after. John Schmersal (Enon, Brainiac) has only been playing in the band for 1 week, so I think they used the show to tighten up some. I thought it sounded more mellow than GvsB, but they still had some upbeat stuff.

Electric Jellyfish were cool, kind of Nick Cave-like but in 3 piece form. They ended up staying at my house.
If you remember last fall a tour van crashed in Northern Ohio and 2 people were killed...well that was the same band.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:18 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:57 am 
Jet Jaguar

Ned, I think you and everyone else is missing the point. There shouldn't be excuses. We all sit there and try and rationalize why no one was at a show. Big up and comers The Pale Young Gentleman show had like 30 people with over 1/2 of it bands/girlfriends. And that was a well publicized show. And this happens time and time again. People talk a big game, but no one goes out. To me the bigger issue is people don't go out just for the sake of going out. It would seem to me that Bourbon Street should be crowded seven days a week. It is right off campus with thousands of college kids living around it. Even just taking into account pass-byers who stop in, the bar should always be lined. But it's not. I am not from Columbus originally. I moved here 7 years ago, so I have not grown up here. However. this just seems to be a normal thing in this city. People don't go out just to go out and drink and socialize, or if they do, it's not to any of the places I go to. (I hear Lodge Bar and Brothers are packed ?)

And for all the people that cry about the loss of Little Brothers. Fuck you. I went to 5 of the last 7 shows there. People kept saying "Oh my god, I have to go to Little Brothers before it closes." or "I am going to as many shows as I can before it's gone." Well throw yourselves a nice pity party and start pointing fingers at mirrors cause it's your own fuckin fault. The most filled any of these shows got was maybe 1/3rd. Why is this? How can so many people claim to be into something or care about something and then there is just no follow through? That is why little brothers is closed and that is why bands are getting scared to play here.

We want these bands to come through the city, but we don't do our part. There is a huge art culture trying to break through and it starting to eat itself. How can you afford to tour if you make 100 or less at the show? Some of the bands come because they can get guarantees, but most skip it unless they are at Newport or LC level.

Who will take over for Little Brothers? The Basements a joke, once it fills up around the stage you can't see shit, and less and less bands seem to be wanting to play there. Add in the construction and having to pay for parking as well as more expensive drinks and you got a nice cocktail of suck. Unfortunately this is the one getting most of the up and coming mid-level bands while more and more people seem to be steering away. ::sigh:: Carabar, The Summit, Cafe Bourbon, Skullys, Ravari Room, anyone else want to fill in the rest?

People talk a big game, but there's no follow through. With a population like ours I just figure you'd have more sold out shows especially at Bourbon Street, Ravari Room, Skully's, Bernies, and other venues around campus. But there's really not.

Is it the economy? The first thing to go is the entertainment budget? Is it the kids? Has the internet and tv started to keep people from going out? Anyone? What the fuck is wrong with people?

(opens up can of worms and leaves)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:18 am 
Snarf

I know this has been brought up a million times, but one of the biggest reasons, I can't make weekday shows is the starting time. Shows in Columbus routinely start after 10:30 and end at when the bar closes. It's just too late a night for most 9 to 5ers. If shows started at 8 and ended at 11, I'd see many more shows. Shows at the Newport and LC use this schedule.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:09 pm 
Mothra

I really want to see The Summit and Bourbon St succeed and grow. I like the potential they have to give Columbus its' own identity. It is a major challenge to grow the clientele of these clubs while retaining the qualities that make them special.

Drums has a great point about start times - those people who have good day jobs and can afford to pay cover and buy loads of drinks several times a week would lose their jobs if they were out til bar-thirty every night. On the other side of that coin, no band wants to play to an empty house at 9pm. Maybe if Bourbon St and Summit focused on building a better attended happy hour...
Signage is important too and I am sure there is a plan to finish the facade of Summit soon. These are all valid points but-

I think the key issue here is attitude. The very thing that has made Bourbon St special is the notion that it is somehow an underground place where the patrons are cooler than you. The problem is that you cant fill two bars if almost everyone there is an artist or in a band. If the crowd is going to grow, there needs to be less incest in the genepool.

Most OSU students don't realize there are bars that are not on high street. Pub crawlers rarely make it up to summit st. Some effort should be made to make the typical college student/local bohemian feel like it is a place where they will be welcomed and not shunned.
Another key point is that people like to go to bars with single ladies, I have seen too many awesome shows at Bourbon St where there were maybe 2 females in the crowd. I don't know how to do it, but more young women should feel like they belong at these clubs. These are the only explanations I can offer as to why these kids would walk down to Ledos/Sloopy's instead of The Summit or Bourbon St.

Little Bros. was able to draw people from all parts of town and the suburbs almost every night. Maybe this was due to the reputation build upon Stache's or maybe it was because they balanced unique and highly talented (but not popular) bills with popular bills of so-so quality as well.

I like the fact that you don't get the typical campus crowd - but from a businessman's point of view, why not take money from these people who may not look like the ideal customer - and maybe help them get to know the music scene in the process. Ya know, take them in and show them that there is more to Columbus than just football.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:48 pm 
Godzilla

I have to admit that I wasn't aware of it, but, I can't say that's because there wasn't enough promotion. There are a lot of aging music lovers who just get caught up in the shuffle of work, kids, etc and sometimes don't even check out the local papers to see what's going on until it's too late. I used to not even check out who was playing and hit 3 or 4 bars for live music each night, several nights a week, just to see what was going to on, back when I had free time (but, that was back when I didn't even give it a second thought to carry a quarter of weed around in my jacket with my pipe).

One theory is that the emergence of disco created an entire generation of kids who really never saw live music and therefore don't know what they're missing. And then, there's the death of radio and the emergence of djs, ipods, etc., instead of live bands.

I also used to buy 6-8 CDs a week at the local record stores, but, those days are over.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:53 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Why, why, why don't women go to Bourbon St? I agree, there is a small handful of women that I see there consistently (including me) and not many others. To me, it is the ideal place to go, but maybe most women are looking for a sleazy lounge lizard to buy them drinks and grind on the dance floor?? I honestly have no answer to that.
I do think it would help if people knew that the Summit has more of a Little Brothers feel than a Bourbon St feel, at least for now. It's more of a destination venue than a dive bar, and if anyone has been intimidated by the built in scene at Bourbon, I would encourage them to check out the Summit.
When I was in college, I wasn't really aware of many of the shows going on around me, but that was 10 years ago. I have encouraged younger people that I meet to come to shows, but it seems that a cover charge is often a deterrent. Again, that is something I don't understand. Maybe a most effort should go into targeting CCAD students, then word would spread to other young people?
I guess we need a team of mavericks here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:00 pm 
Mechagodzilla

8-11 shows sound horrible. no band wants to do a soundcheck at 5pm. i mean how many hours of sleep do you need to go to work the next day :?: & it's not like anybody here is a doctor.

have u ever seen the stupid tv/movie section on here :?: :wall: :?:
people watch that shit instead of listening to music. if u have a favorite television PROGRAM u r shit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:24 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I understand that people SAY they want an early show, but will you actually show up? There are several Bourbon St patrons (Me, Chris, Todd) who work until around 10, and we actually go to the show and buy drinks. I don't go to shows at big venues because I have to take vacation time to get off work early (and they are shows like Minus the Bear with emo kids lining up around the block).

In fact, there's an idea. More emo= more patrons

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:11 pm 
Godzilla

I am not necessarily opposed to being sleazy, buying drinks and grinding on a dance floor.

Lizards tend to bother me and I suspect that women are not looking for that.

I'm all for more women going to Bourbon Street. Should we Street Team that?

Anyone strongly deterred by a cover charge for a live band is clearly a menace to society and should probably be annexed.

No one should ever do a sound check.

That's just lame.

The vast majority of tv programs are utter shit and should be deterred by live local music or the noble pursuit of detroying your country's mockery of a sham government.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:56 pm 
Snarf

I think certainly one reason people are going out less is because of economic issues. I think for a town this size there are too many (believe it or not) smallish music venues competing for attendance on weekend nights especially. The outcome being that they all end up with a few people but rarely get a packed house. It's just a simple mathematical problem sometimes- there are only a certain number of people who love attending rock shows on a regular basis& they can't be in two (or three) places at once unfortunately. Sadly I do KNOW for a fact that paying a small cover even (3-5$) deters some from attending shows. Which is quite honestly BULLSHIT& I PERSONALLY FIND IT MADDENING! I know that alot of the people guilty of this are actually musicians themselves-- also maddening. I know that many musicians& artists are broke and are not working high paying jobs, but if you don't support your own& ask to get on the "guest list" at all your buddies shows... HELLO- how do you expect anyone else to support your band or any others?? You must lead by example- right?? I also think that offering free shows is sort of rewarding this type of mindset& not necessarily the great thing it seems to be, especially if it is negatively affecting other small venues in town. Or maybe I'm totally wrong here.

Getting more women in bars has always been a bit of a challenge unless it's Ladies Night cheese& bullshit sadly. A couple small but important things that help though are: 1. Have a clean bathroom. 2. Discourage predatory behavior by drunk guys ( bartenders can keep this in check if it appears that a woman is uncomfortable).
I don't know, chicks just don't drink as hardcore typically as dudes. Kudos to all you gals that hang with the best of the boy drinkers though!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:22 pm 
Mechagodzilla

if I'm playing a show, the very last thing I want at a show is a bunch of band dudes.