[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Amp repair

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amp repair
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:59 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:55 am 
Godzilla

If anyone has any suggestions other than , I'm all ears.

I love 'em but dang. It'd be nice to have a slightly more economical option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:06 pm 
Godzilla

It depends on which tube is blown but you can replace some yourself. There's some (that haven't been inducted into the vacuum tube cabal) that say you can do them all yourself and the mystic rite known as "biasing" is smoke and mirrors created to bilk us regular folks out of cash.

You can generally tell if a tube is blown just by looking at them. Buy a matched set and replace them.

Also, B. Swinski and I would both like to know if there is more than Abell Audio (and I think, Fifth Ave. Fret shop) in town doing this sort of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:43 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:11 pm 
King Ghidorah

I am pretty sure rob also works out of dave bush guitar repair on north high (north of morse). I have heard nothing but good things about him[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:41 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:17 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:27 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:30 am 
Snarf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:18 pm 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:50 pm 
Godzilla

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was hoping to avoid Abel. Its good to know there are other options. Its a power tube thats blown. I thought about just changing them out myself, but I just got this amp, so I'd like to have it looked over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:10 am 
Mothra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:54 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I like reading those books, but they always harp about how I'm going to electrocute myself if I actually try anything. Do you have any favorites you've found? Especially ones that tell me how not to electrocute myself, instead of just warning that I probably will?

I want to finally take my balls out one of these days- they could use the fresh air. And god knows I've spent enough on repairs to last a lifetime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:39 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:48 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:32 pm 
Godzilla

this pretty much lays it all out:

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/lvbias.html

it gives some pretty in depth explanations at first (as it defines each method), but if you start by reading through the instructions on how to actually do it you can get a good idea of what's (gonna supposed to be) happening, and not get immediately discouraged by technical jargon. there's also a whole section (labeled SAFETY ADVISORY) about what they mean when they say 'be careful' - i.e. 'here's how to not electrocute yourself.'

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:57 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Awesome thanks! I'll check that stuff out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:22 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject: Re: Amp repair
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:46 pm 
Godzilla

So, I finally broke down and took my amp to Randy at Vintage Amp Repair and I just wanted to recommend him to anyone that needs work done on a tube amp. Fair prices, quick turnaround, and my amp sounds better than ever.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:50 am 
Mothra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:05 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I have used Vintage Amp Repair Randy too

It took him about 3 days to fix it, and he did well

Abell audio estimated 5 weeks and whoever answered the phone used this bitchy little voice, so obviously I will never go there again

I'm a manners guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:23 pm 
Mothra

I hesitate to say this, because he's like my own little secret repair guy, but since he has done such great work for me in the past, I have to give him some props. Bob Walker. Walker electronics. 614-237-0701

Anyone else ever go to this guy? He is fantastic at amp repair!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:11 am 
King Ghidorah

Not only is Abel expensive, but those guys just aren't happy to see you bring in any work for them. Not personable, just cranky and I'd rather not give them my money. They can do the job, but again...I'd rather it go to someone who seems like they're interested in helping me out.

Randy's good, but not fast. But he loves what he does and knows it inside and out. Definitely the better choice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:39 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:02 am 
Mothra

+1 for Randy Adkins

I had him look over my Bassman 100 head that I got on eBay a while back. It had been giving me some problems, blowing fuses, etc, so I took it in to Randy to get fixed. Let me just say this, this guy loves what he does, he is extremely friendly and knowledgable, and does not talk down to you even if you are a tube amp novice. And on top of all that, his rates beat the pants off of Abell. Highly recommended. 614-491-4965