[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - what are you drinking?

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: what are you drinking?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:46 am 
Jet Jaguar

I am on an IPA kick right now.
Spliney- I agree the Hop Devil by victory is quite good.

I wish I could remember the names of all the ones I've had recently.. And yes, I have been drinking a lot of the red rye's. Speaking of which, I want to do a limited run of Red Ale's with Communist leaders on the bottles. Has this been done yet?

Ok, so some of the beers I've had recently. I will try to describe them as I remember them. But the more I drank of them the less I seem to remember. So I will probably just procure more to update my memory, for which I will probably forget again.

Founder's Red Rye - Available at Palmer's Beverage. Got a six pack of it. Not a bad one from founders. I think it was pretty smooth. Nice deep red color.

Cain and Abel Red - Palmer's Beverage again, 4 pack ran be 11 or 12 I think. I don't remember much of this beer other than it kicked my ass. So I think it was good. Will investigate further.

Stone IPA - still on draft at Bob's Bar and Ravari? This one is a classic. There is something about beer in California. Does good weather just make you brew high quality beer? I dunno, but Stone has some awesome beers. Their IPA is the ideal example of what an IPA should be. Perfect amount of hops with a slight bitter finish. Bravo. Also try the Ruination.

Elevator IPA - Carabar's always got it. Nice local beer. Decent IPA. Good price.

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA
- Palmer's and From the Vine in Polaris. I first had this at Bodega on draft before they took it off a few weeks ago. The label sucks but this beer sucks terribly. So much so I had to write the company to tell them how egregious of an error it was to have that kind of beer hiding under that kind of label. This beer has a helluva kick to it. Aroma, taste, and finish all very different. Only for those who really like hops. A lot. 4 pack is 12 bucks I think.

Dogfish Head 60 minute - Available everywhere. I tried to convince them to put this in at Carabar in replace of the Dos Equis. We will see if it works. Dogfish Head has a lot of quality beers. Their IPAs seem to be the perfect blend of hops. Very tasty.

Dogfish Head 90 minute - Available at many stores. A bit Malty. but I can dig it. For those of you who like the 60 but want a little more intensity and a nice 9% alcohol content.

Buckeye Red - Can't remember where I had it, but I do remember it being pretty good. Anyone know where this is on tap?

East India Pale Ale - Friend got a 6 pack at Giant Eagle. Drinking it now. It's all right. Nothing too special.

That is all I feel like typing. I will have to flip through some bottle caps to see what else I've had recently. After IPAs I think I am going to go on a Belgium kick and finish off the year with some heavy stouts for Christmas. Any suggestions for either of those two?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:08 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:18 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:54 pm 
Godzilla

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:42 pm 
Godzilla

oh man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:04 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Midnight Wit by Legacy Brewing Co.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:33 am 
Jet Jaguar

Cara actually added Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA on draft at Carabar. I must say I am quite pleased by this. We merely mentioned it in passing by and next time we came in... Dos Equis was out and Dogfish Head was in. +2 Kudos for a bar actually listening to Patrons. Now hopefully people will buy it.

How is the Midnight Wit Ned?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:32 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:10 am 
Snarf

Cheap beer: Genesee Cream Ale and Old Milwaukee

Good beer:

Flying Dog Woody Creek White: Delicious Belgian-style wit, cloudy as fuck and good on a hot day.
Stone IPA and Ruination IPA: The Ruination didn't warm up as well as the regular but I'm not much of a hophead anyway so I wasn't amazed.
Bell's Porter: As American Porters are my favorite style I was not disappointed with this at all. A little thin on the mouthfeel but super roasted and dripping with malt.
Unibroue Maudite: Words cannot describe. Please drink this and don't be intimidated by the label.
Clipper City's Heavy Seas Peg Leg and Small Craft Warning: Awesome Maryland brewery's Imperial line. The Peg Leg is an awesome Russian Imperial Stout. I've definitely had better Russians but this totally holds its own. The Small Craft Warning is an Uber Pils, way hoppier than I expected for a pilsener but doesn't taste like 7%.
Anchor Old Foghorn Barleywine: After a bad experience with a Magic Hat barleywine I had been very wary of the style for a long time but I decided to go out on a limb and give this a shot. Deep red in color, subtle hop character and sweet as hell. I should've let it warm up more as it was really sweet but I guess that's why it's a dessert beer. As the label says, drink after dinner.
Trappistes Rochefort 10: My girlfriend's brother bought a 330cl bottle of this for us to taste. This was unlike any Trappist Quad I had ever had. The alcohol wasn't as present as say Chimay Blue or the La Trappe Quad but it certainly kicked my ass. Anise, raisins and all sorts of complex flavors invaded my mouth. Quite the treat indeed.

Sitting in my basement:

Young's Oatmeal Stout
Ommegang Witte
He'Brew Monumental Jewbelation 10
Stone Russian Imperial Stout
Nostradamus
Allagash Odyssey 2008
a few others that I can't remember

BEER FOREVER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:41 pm 
Jet Jaguar

MY FAVORITE TOPIC EVER!

Jesus, I am hooked on Orange Blossom Cream Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery. It's not nearly as sweet as it sounds - it's super crisp and the aftertaste is SPLENDID. I want to take this beer out back and get it pregnant. Boulevard in Grandview (on the corner of 3rd and Northwest Blvd) carries it.

When I want to binge, which for me equals 12 to 16 straight hours of bringing the hammer, I try to drink Straub or Straub Light. I convinced the owner of Boulevard to keep Straub Light in stock. So far I've kept up my end of the deal.

Ooh ooh ooh, I also love the Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale (again, it's not overly sweet). There is just a hint of the blubes. Mohawk has it on tap and Culpeppers on 3rd stocks it.

Guinness Draught is always money. Always. Especially when the bartender pours it with love and patience. St. James pours it right. I love the James!

Oooh oooh, the Framb-whuh at Barley's is SPLENDID! And it's like 12%. Do not drink two of them with brunch - unless you are walking home and looking for a nap.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:18 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:28 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:05 pm 
Mothra

Scotch on the rocks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:39 am 
Jet Jaguar

Anyone ever had Pliny The Younger? I am itching to try it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:35 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:12 am 
Snarf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:02 am 
Mechagodzilla

Went on a vaca and got to try some other brews we don't have in this area.

Kona brewing Co. - Fire Ale and some lava something wheat beer. OK but nothing grand.

White Hawk IPA - pretty tasty.

Outer Banks Brewing Co. - Drank all of their offerings. The Abbey Ale was good, so was the heff.

BUT.

super excited that I found the Ommegang Witt Beer after 3 years of looking. Surprisingly, very surprising really, I found it at the Dairy Mart on Whittier and High. Been enjoying that.

Destroying intellectual freedom is always evil, but only religion makes doing evil feel quite so good. - P. Pullman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:05 am 
Mechagodzilla

Destroying intellectual freedom is always evil, but only religion makes doing evil feel quite so good. - P. Pullman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:48 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:57 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:14 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:27 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:47 pm 
King Ghidorah

i'd be willing to ship some bottles eastward, but you're probably better off ordering from . it's a ghetto bodega that reminds me a little bit of soussy market on north fourth in columbus, but their beer buyer, joey, knows his stuff and is a good man. he gets pretty much all of the limited releases. plus he carries blind pig and pliny the elder. and while having beer shipped isn't cheap, they don't rape you on shipping/handling.

if you'd like suggestions on san diego beers to try, i'm happy to provide some.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:28 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I'm in MI for work for a while, so I hit up the local brew pub. pretty decent stuff. a rather adventurous set of recipes for a small shop, but they seemed a little heavy on the berry shit. you don't need a blueberry and a raspberry on tap at the same time. but hey, it's a small town and their offerings rival that of many larger ones. no complaints. .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:47 pm 
Godzilla

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next