[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Batman: The Dark Knight

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Batman: The Dark Knight
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:27 pm 
Godzilla

She always does.

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:15 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:25 pm 
Godzilla

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:18 am 
Mechagodzilla

my dad used to watch the adam west tv show back in the 60's. he really liked batman begins, but wasn't into the dark knight. he thought that this movie was too complicated, and liked it back when big actors could be on the show and just be silly.

got me thinking about the spectrum of the mythology of batman...someone should have a screening of the "shark repellent" batman back-to-back w/ this version; serve jello shots for the first movie, irish car bombs for the second. it's amazing to think what kind of batman movies will be made in 40 years - this has been a process of improvement, but at some point, the viewers have their choice in what kind of batman to indulge in, and the spectrum will only get wider as long as the name makes money. I keep telling this to star wars geeks still rubbing their noggins over the shitty prequels, they're gonna get redone after the fat man dies.

as to an older dude not "getting" it, which seems to be a case w/ a lot of the more grumpy NYC reviewers (j. morgenstern of the wall st. journal, d. fear of time out new york, new yorker, etc.), they kinda need to look @ nolan's entire list of overall themes in films to have TDK make a bit more sense. memento intended to jar the viewer's linear thought. the prestige was one big magic trick. and the dark knight is meant to terrorize the viewer. there are distinct choices that nolan has made as a filmmaker that transcend the patina of blockbuster movies.

take the sound editing. what do we hear when harvey dent reaches for the coin and realizes the love of his life is dead? or when the viewer is finally let in on the secret that the joker meant to break in to the police station as he takes feral whiffs of free air?

nothing.

these are key emotional moments in the film where directors like tim burton, joel schumacher, michael bay or james cameron would've dredged the vocal track for as much emotional "depth" as possible. nolan simply lets the power of the buildup to those paying attention to the plot fuel the rapport between visual stimulus and the attentive voyeur.

it's no
Image Image
but it works for me.

my one gripe with the sound editing is that the soundtrack seems a little...dated at times. they could really use a fresh theme.

I think the new joker would approve. and my dad would get his 60's fix.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:10 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:48 pm 
Jet Jaguar

i saw it at the midnight showing and it was fucking great! its funny cos zas was in the same theater as me and at the midnight premiere of batman begins he was sitting next to me...i swear to god there are five of that guy. zas is the new dolly the sheep.

anyhoo, i just saw it again on imax and it was so amazing. if you enjoyed it at a regular theater( and how couldn't you) i would recommend seeing it in imax. sooooo good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:57 pm 
Godzilla

http://www.popcrunch.com/angelina-jolie-catwoman-role/

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:00 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:26 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:29 am 
Mechagodzilla

finally saw this a couple nights ago. totally agree with all the praise Heath Ledger has been getting.

the most frightening parts of the movie were the close ups on Maggie Gylenhall. que susto. glad i didn't see it on the imax. she may have had the best outfits, but she could've used scarecrow's mask.

http://radioactivesox.tumblr.com/

"you can call me the nannerpus, nannerpus.
guess what? i love pancakes."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:48 am 
Godzilla

- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:56 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:10 am 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:21 am 
Mechagodzilla

yawn.

girls are gross.

if it makes you feel any better, i think the american apparel girl is hot.

i'd still rather look at myself in the mirror though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:24 am 
Mechagodzilla

oops! i also meant to apologize for oppressing everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:25 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:29 am 
Mechagodzilla

cookie wins the internet again!

if i keep this up will you start posting after everything i write in any thread?

not that you'd ever do something "dickish" like that

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:31 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:50 pm 
Mechagodzilla

I'd like to see someone make a spoof combining Heath's 2 big movies.....

Broke Bat Mountain Man.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:34 pm 
Godzilla

- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:14 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:01 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:05 pm 
Godzilla

I just watched Gotham Knight and liked it for the most part, but... meh at times too.

- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:58 pm 
Godzilla

i really enjoyed almost all of it, other than the 1st 'toon. and i actually really loved the art style in that one, but the storyline was just a rehash of the "legends of the dark knight" episode of the batmantheanimatedseries show.

and the artwork in that one 'toon that looked FAAAR too final fantasy-esque to take seriously . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:24 am 
Mechagodzilla

FINALLY fucking saw it today. I cannot belive my INTELLEGENT friends from donewaiting have not commented on how "timely" this flick was, and how the batman mythos reflects american pop culture. Especially in a post 9-11 world. Fear of terrorists, like the boat scene, I was shocked when "Tiny" Tim Lester (props to BS for also reconizing "Zeus") threw the detonator out the window. I figured that you'd blow up your own boat if ya flicked tha switch, ya can't trust the Joker.

The Joker of the late 80's was cartoony, false, and got killed at the end of the flick. We had bat-dance by Prince, we were more innocent then. Except for "Death in the Family" which brought Jason Todd to an end by the hands of DC readers via a phone poll. The new Joker brought more fear into our hearts, an unknown source of fear that challenges moral values. I didn't like the interpertation of two-face, but Harvey Dent was perfect. If the Joker's not gonna have a burnt chemical face, Dent's should be more naturally burnt. And why does batman talk so goddamn funny?

Heath Ledger (like ZAS said) stole the show. It's a fuckin shame someone with that magnitude of talent was whisked away. I was scared of him, I laughed with him, the shit that came out of his mouth was ten times more belivable than batman's.

That was a perfect post 9-11 batman. Remember when Mr.Fox was having moral issues, and batman argued with him?

Dude, fukkin sweet dichotomies and analogies.

I can go on and on, but the sweetest was when the semi flipped.

Best Batman evar.

Hell yea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next