[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - UPDATED: RIP Noel Sayre (Black Swans, Pretty Mighty Mighty)

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: UPDATED: RIP Noel Sayre (Black Swans, Pretty Mighty Mighty)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm 
Mechagodzilla

i'm really saddened to hear this. while i didn't know noel, he was an amazing talent. there is now a huge hole in the heart of the columbus music scene.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:12 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Dispatch obit:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:16 pm 
Godzilla

Horrible. I can't even believe this is happening.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:51 pm 
Godzilla

Noel was amazing. It's an awful tragedy that more people won't be able to know him, to hear him, than already have.

Every conversation I've ever had with him was a lesson in humility, and he didn't even try.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:52 pm 
King Ghidorah

this is such a sad, sad loss. i didn't personally know noel but have seen him perform many times. sincere condolences to his family and friends.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:16 pm 
King Ghidorah

this is horrible.

thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

not too long ago, one of his friends/bandmates told me some amazingly sweet things about him and his devotion to his family.

the world needs more people like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:33 pm 
Godzilla

noel was a nice guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:17 pm 
Mothra

Very very sad indeed.

Thoughts go out to friends and family, PMM and everyone that knew Noel. We knew him through PMM, he played on our CD's and were amazed at his talent. Truly a nice guy and a good person.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:47 pm 
Jet Jaguar

My God. I'm really sorry you guys. Many condolences to all who knew and loved him.

http://www.electricgrandmother.com
http://www.facebook.com/electricgrandmother

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:29 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:09 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

So, so, so, sad.
We'll be keeping Noel's close friends in our thoughts.
Please keep posting updates on how we can help contribute to his service or help with anything else.

kim & eric

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:15 pm 
Godzilla

So sad. I used to love trying to figure out what parts were violin and what parts were guitar in Pretty Mighty Mighty. His violin sounded like My Bloody Valentine to me. Gorgeous. Condolences to Noel's friends and family.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:46 pm 
I can't believe it...I just found out from a friend.

Noel was one of the weirdest guys I've ever met. And by weird, I mean great.
He had an odd honesty that will seem rare to me now.

His playing and performing was always beautiful and angular yet he was quite
modest about his own talent. I was fortunate enough to hear him perform recently
at a wedding ceremony and I keep thinking about that

My condolences to his close friends. He will be missed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:44 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I gave this about 7 hours to sink in. It hasn't happened yet. Noel was .... Noel was one of the most genuine guys I ever met in this scene. You could talk to him about almost anything, and he often offered up a new perspective. He was a really smart fellow. But always honest and humble. I wish now that I knew him better.

The guy could play guitar too. He was a bad-ass guitar player. I'll never forget Pretty Mighty Mighty's set at the Pixies-a-thon.

My heart goes out to Jon, John, Neal, Jerry, and everyone else who knew him or loved him, which is almost everyone I know. Noel's death is tragic beyond belief. I don't know what else to say except: please love one another as if you might never see them again.

Bye, Noel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:55 am 
Mechagodzilla

that dude's passion was unparalleled. this one time I played in a band that opened for PMM at the old High Five, and I'd never seen a violin player (or any local bandmember) get so involved. they opened up the stage and let all the bands play with them, and he was the most welcoming of the bunch during the jam. and it wasn't a cheesy jam. it was righteous.

I was bugging some people at Used Kids about PMM and why things had slowed down for them, and I was told of his dedication to his family. it inspired me, if only on a passive level. right now I'm in the middle of 6 weeks with my family back in Iowa, making time for them, despite whatever else I could be doing. I didn't always feel that way.

the one time I shook his hand and told him what presence he had on stage, he totally played it down.

what a good man.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:50 am 
Mothra

Very sad news! My thoughts and support to all of his friends and everyone who knew Noel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:27 am 
Snarf

My thoughts go out to you Jerry, Jon, and everyone else who knew and/or listened to or shared the stage with Noel. Being a big Swans fan and shooting a few PMM shows in the past, it was always incredible watching him play.

I recently listened to the Black Swans after I lost two of my friends in the same week to cancer. Their music has always given me a certain calm comfort and it helped me through that tough time. Noel will be missed greatly.

-mcgraner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:56 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

just wanted to dig up a black swans tour diary they wrote in sep 06 for people who might not have read it...

http://www.donewaiting.com/category/the ... ans-diary/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:36 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:07 pm 
Mechagodzilla

To everyone-
I am very sorry to hear about your friend/band mate/family member. Please take good care of one another!
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:02 pm 
King Ghidorah

this is truly a tragedy. noel was an inspirational violinist and a great dude.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:57 pm 
Snarf

One of the last times I got a call from Noel, the Black Swans were heading into NYC to play a show in Brooklyn in a bar in the back of a record store. And despite not having slept or gone home for a couple of days, and having a considerable amount to do that night, I decided I had to head into town to catch up with them. It seemed ridiculous at the time, but I guess I now understand why. And, as usual, I got a education from Noel on a bunch of new artists as he and I went rifling through the stacks of records in the store.

I first met Noel in the dorm – our first year at ohio u in ’89, but we did not hang out much, apart from a few isolated jams in the lounge. He lived down the hall again the second year – different dorm, and though we spent a fair bit of time listening to all sorts of crazy tunes, it was rare to sit and play. And at first it was only the music that clicked – we were far too alike, and neither of us the sort to naturally stir up the conversation.
Year one at 9 Oak was a revelation (well, in all sorts of ways), but I spent countless hours across countless nights creating the soundtrack to all that I saw with my dear friend Noel; passing songs and musical ideas back and forth till the wee hours. Musically, I learned more about dissonance and tension and relief from him than from everyone I have ever played with put together. But I also got to know the beautiful soul of Noel Sayre. He was rather timid and humble in “real” life, and could be huge, demonstrative, and passionate when attached to a guitar or particularly a violin. In the course of that year, I also got to know Noel as a brilliant mind, a kind spirit, and a great friend. He was the guy that would share his last (perfectly-crafted) piece of toast or the last of a jar of his mom’s pickles without a second thought.
One night at the end of that year, Noel came up with the thought to put together a bluegrass or string band. We talked about for a minute – I had a mandolin that I had never really learned to play, and was already playing some other music that would lend itself well to being acoustic. Of course, it should be as simple as saying it would be so.

Willin’ (in the acoustic form) fell together in no time, and carried on for several years that now seem far too short. It was the combination of people and songs that were (to me anyway) familiar and comfortable that facilitated the experimentation in the band, and the time spent jamming with Noel was at the core of it. We would trade riffs and jabs and quotes from everything from 20’s swing to Charles Ives to 80’s pop, and a handful of songs evolved into little symphonies - complex orchestrations that still had clear ties to those nights sitting around the living room.

My heart goes out to Jerry and the other Swans – each time I’ve seen them play in NYC, it was clear that Jerry saw that same genious that I saw, and connected on that deeper level for which there are no words (though I am here punting around trying to find them).
And of course to Jon and John and Neal, who also shared many years of music-making.
I know they, as I, have lost a brother.
I am happy to learn that there are a few recorded treasures yet to be heard.
Songs I have written as recently as last year have a spot reserved for Noel’s violin, and I don’t have a clue how I will fill them. Big shoes man, big shoes.

Peace-
Tim Coyle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:12 pm 
Mechagodzilla

i'm grateful i had a chance to play with him. i remember my first rehearsal with Noel and Jerry. it was almost impossible for me to focus on the songs because i just wanted to listen to the Noel's violin. i was mesmerized and intimidated by his skill, but he was so grounded, patient, and approachable that he made it seem like i actually could hang with him musically. every single time i watched them i kicked myself for not staying with the Black Swans - not just because the songs were great, but because i wanted to be able to experience Noel's violin sound and be able to be a part of it. we only played together a few times, but that was enough to leave an indelible impression on my musical education. Noel was quiet, but he could communicate so much through music; it was like he didn't need to talk. Noel was funny, beyond smart... and to call him an amazing musician is an understatement. he's irreplaceable. we lost a great one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:00 pm 
Mothra

Any news on a memorial service or gathering in Columbus?

All of the guys in Silo the Huskie would like to attend if that's the case. Chris and I are playing but I'm not tied into the scene like days yonder. Brian is not playing and he might not get news of anything, and if there's a chance for us to pay our respects then we want to do that. Brian was also unsure of Noel's finances. Brian mentioned that IF there was a need to put something together not only to honor Noel, but to contribute in some way with money, that he would play. And if you know Brian, for him to play for Noel IS saying a lot about how Noel meant not only to him, but to Silo the Huskie and the community as well.

If anyone hears anything (gathering, benefit, etc), please PM me.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:48 am 
Jet Jaguar

so sorry to hear of this.