[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Two Cow Garage Challenge

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Cow Garage Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:10 pm 
Mothra

Ok, I'm not into the local original music scene but I look here every now and then and read Alive and TOP etc.....

I took a look at some TCG clips after looking at the All The Young Dudes clip in the Comfest thread and want to see if there are better representations of the band.

So, here's my challenge. Enlighten me. Send me a link to one clip of the BEST song by TCG or some other local band, whether studio or live, and show me what these guys do!

Here's another TCG clip I watched/listened to:

Last edited by DavidE on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Two Cow Garage Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:16 pm 
Mechagodzilla

how much cash are you offering?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:19 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:22 pm 
Mothra

I took a look at this one, and heard some pretty cool stuff. Not necessarily my thing and I would still prefer on pitch vocals, but it's not bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTBnCAEo ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:23 pm 
Mothra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:27 pm 
Mothra

Hey, this Miranda Sound clip is pretty damn good. Why didn't they get anywhere? The music business sucks, that's why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RA1zM639GQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:30 pm 
Mechagodzilla

I think you might "get it" more if you see them in person. Their energy is contagious if you're within spitting distance of the stage. And you might check out their studio stuff, though, I like 'em much better in a live setting. It may not be for everyone, but I personally like Micah's 3 pack-a-day unfiltered voice.

I certainly can see your point just by going from the clips you've found. For me, the magic that is 2 Cow isn't necessarily what they are right now, but what they could be in the future. They're still fairly young whipper-snappers in the big scheme of things.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:30 pm 
Mechagodzilla

http://www.rhapsody.com/twocowgarage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:35 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

www.myspace.com/twocowgarage
www.twocowgarage.com

www.google.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:36 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 pm 
Mothra

"It may not be for everyone, but I personally like Micah's 3 pack-a-day unfiltered voice."

I think it works in the right context. The solo acoustic guitar in the long clip I posed is a great context for his voice. It worked for Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Neil Young etc.....

I watched a few more Miranda Sound clips. Really really good. I think I need to buy their CD. Of course that gives you a glimpse of my taste....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:52 pm 
Godzilla

why should anyone on earth have to prove to you that a band we all love is good?

you've stated about a zillion times online that you think all the other columbus musicians and bands are FAR beneath you and your friends, talent-wise, so why should we have to take the bait and send you clips of ANYthing just so you can hold your nose and piss and moan about how the vox aren't as pitch-corrected as a saving jane single?

either you like it or you don't. don't force yourself to, and don't ask us to convince you. you AIN'T gonna like what i like, i ain't gonna like what most of DW.com likes, and most of DW.com is gonna HATE the music you and yours make.

your posts on cmo are always good to read, until you get on your "everyone but me and saving jane are total amateurs in this town" kick, and then they just become hilarious to read.

two-cow rule, and are the best/most fun live band this town have had to offer since, well, hell, i'll take your holier-than-thou approach and say they're the most fun band in columbus since my last band.

miranda rule, and have ruled for years, but you wouldn't have noticed, because their albums aren't shoved in your face by 'NCI and you don't seem the type to trust yourself enough to find local talent on your own without any aid from musical-nepotism. and as far as "getting anywhere" how do you know what their goals were? they put out multiple albums, they've had successful tours, they've inspired countless numbers of fans, and even a few bands. maybe they were exactly as successful as their real lives would allow. you don't know. but trust me, they were FAR from ignored, and FAR from unsuccessful as far as why most people get into playing music. and i'm pretty damn sure they've enjoyed the ride and are proud of what they've done . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:02 pm 
Mechagodzilla

My new favorite post of all time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:03 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:05 pm 
Mechagodzilla

I get what BS is sayin', but I never pass up a chance to sell someone on 2 Cow Garage or Miranda Sound for that matter. It's usually not that hard of a sell. Both bands have the ability to exhaust you live just watching them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:07 pm 
Godzilla

I love BSS.

Trying to explain 2cow to you is like trying explain the awesomeness of sex to a virgin.

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:10 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:13 pm 
Mothra

"you've stated about a zillion times online that you think all the other columbus musicians and bands are FAR beneath you and your friends, talent-wise, so why should we have to take the bait and send you clips of ANYthing just so you can hold your nose and piss and moan about how the vox aren't as pitch-corrected as a saving jane single?"

Wow, it's amazing what you project into my posts. Says more about you than it does me. And I've heard Marti sing many times. She doesn't need pitch correciton and your baseless accusation again says more about you. Ask Jon if he had to pitch correct her voice if you want to make such statements.

"either you like it or you don't. don't force yourself to, and don't ask us to convince you. you AIN'T gonna like what i like, i ain't gonna like what most of DW.com likes, and most of DW.com is gonna HATE the music you and yours make. "

You obviously didn't get what I was asking. I wanted people here to direct me to the best examples of these guys and others so I can see if I like it or not. We don't have to like the same things and I can spot good tunes and talent even when I don't necessarily like it. In fact, I was happy that I asked because the acoustic Should've California is great. Just great. That's much more my taste than the Saving Jane the popsters hear on the radio.

"your posts on cmo are always good to read, until you get on your "everyone but me and saving jane are total amateurs in this town" kick, and then they just become hilarious to read."

Again, it's amazing what you project into my posts. I like SJ's songs. I do not like how they came out on the most of the last two records. I don't listen to NCI and that type of music. I like the songs, I don't like the production and how they were recorded. I am unabashedly an amateur in this town. I can name a shitload of guitarists and singers who have more talent in their smallest fingernail than I have in my overlarge body. I never pretended or claimed otherwise.

As for other bands or musicians in this town, yes I've heard some terrible crap and I've heard some really good stuff. The same as anywhere, anyone and any time. I'm asking people here to direct me to the good stuff to broaden my horizons. I don't see what's so wrong with that.

As for Miranda Sound, you make excellent points. Perhaps they did what they wanted to do and went as far as they wanted to go. Commercial or popular success is certainly no measure of talent or success. You are right and I am clearly wrong with my comment. Unfortunately, I missed out by living in my cover band world, but that's where I belong as I don't have an ounce of talent for writing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:14 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:18 pm 
Mothra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:29 pm 
Mothra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:30 pm 
Godzilla

I'm going to go with Gonzo and others and state that you should check them out live. They are fun and not at all assuming.

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:31 pm 
Godzilla

dude, if i'm not gonna take your bait on giving you more material of my friends' music to trash, i'm damn sure not gonna take your bait far a flame war.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:42 pm 
Jet Jaguar

DavidE

Since you admit to only following cover bands, it seems like your issue is the innacuracy of their Mott The Hoople cover. Yeah?

"All The Young Dudes" was played in the spirit of Comfest - they were just trying to have some fun with friends. I thought it was magical.

They did a similar thing with "Rockin' In a Free World" a few years ago that also included a stinky dude choir.

TJ nailed this already (thanks man!), but I'll add my two cents.

Two Cow is a fucking monster. Their songs are hooky AND honest, with no hint of pretension. When they do something like cover a classic rock hit, they play it from the depth of their small intestines and make it their own. I'm sure they could give a shit about perfectly replicating the original - they leave that to the shit cakes that make $2,000 a night playing covers in Dublin or the Arena District with their Paul Reed Smiths and Eventide Harmonizers.

They are far and away the hardest working people I've ever met. They play 200+ dates a year (including Europe) and have pockets of ardent fans all over the world. They struggle to make ends meet - but they play music for a living - without having to wonder when some fuckbag in a tie and ponytail is gonna pull the plug on their party. I consider that "making it".

Billy - Mirandasound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:43 pm 
Mothra