[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Tom Waits - 6/28/08 Columbus

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tom Waits - 6/28/08 Columbus
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:39 am 
Godzilla

I haven't seen any reviews of the show, and I was out of town for a wedding. How was it?

Tom Waits
Ohio Theatre
Columbus, Oh.
June 28, 2008

Lucinda
Way Down in the Hole
Falling Down
All the World is Green
Chocolate Jesus
Cemetery Polka
Sins of My Father
16 Shells from a Thirty-Ought Six
Trampled Rose
Cold Cold Ground
November
Black Market Baby
Hoist That Rag
Lucky Day
Innocent When You Dream
Lost in the Harbour
Lie to Me
Misery is the River of the World
Big in Japan
Dirt in the Ground
Make it Rain

Jesus Gonna Be Here
Eyeball Kid
House Where Nobody Lives

Time

http://eyeballkid.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Tom Waits - 6/28/08 Columbus
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:00 am 
Jet Jaguar

Out of this world. Going in with extremely high expectations, I would say the show pretty much met them. Extremely theatrical show with Tom gesticulating, dancing, swaying like he was the bastard son of a turn of the century Barnam and Bailey MC, snake oil salesman, preacher. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of the tour, you can get the idea of what it is like. It is more like going to a musical than it is a concert.

Surprises: the songs from Real Gone (a record I am lukewarm about) were stunning. Make it Rain and Hoist That Rag both stood up alongside 16 Shells, Cold Cold Ground, and Innocent When You Dream as highlights among pretty much all gems. Also, his singing was absolutely extraordinary- the subtleties in his expression and his vibrato were sublime in a way I wish his voice would have been on Real Gone. Most of the songs were sang better live than their studio recordings.

One criticism: this show was exhausting. After two hours of Tom Waits, there is not much you will have left in you. The songs were all very similar tempos and sometimes it felt like they blended together into one thematic piece.

He bantered about crazy Oklahoma laws that included "you can't get a cat drunk- on a weekday."

Worth every penny and then some.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:40 am 
Jet Jaguar

Yeah - pretty much amazing in every way.

Hoist that Rag was one of the surprising high points for me as well.

He was incredible and his band was equal in the challenge, made for a can't lose kind of night.

The next day I was at the zoo with my family and I saw a guy with one of the Waits oil shirts on... I had my Rain Dogs shirt on - we just nodded and smiled at each other as we passed, as if to say, yeah it was amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:33 pm 
Snarf

GREAT concert/Theatrical Event!

The band: they had the chops and precision of Zappa’s crew & the swing of some little jazz combo straight out of pre-war Prague - at times displaying the “Sturm und Drang” of a New Orleans funeral band who just got in from a gig playing at a gypsy carnival in a Fellini movie – at times they played with the sweetness and precision of a string quartet fronted by Segovia – at times they seemed ready at any minute to segue into Leonard Cohen’s “The Partisan” – at times they played with the smoky somnambulistic vibe of a “Kiko”-era Los Lobos – and at times they sounded like Rahsaan Roland Kirk was playing with Robert Fripp, Terry Cox and Danny Thompson with Lois Armstrong on vocals! Stellar musicians all!

The stage: was what looked to me like a giant snare drum as Tom’s main vocal perch - covered in a thin layer of talc so that when he stamped his feet clouds rose into the air above him.
A forest of old antique PA horns hovered over the back of the stage like metal flowers in a junk store. Funereal scalloped curtains hung at the very back – lit from below with livid green or rust or amber or blood. If Shockhead Peter was a jazz combo – they’d use this stage set!

The audience: from far-flung places – they started out with a kind of smug “in crowd” cognoscenti self-congratulatory fervor, but ‘ol Tom settled ‘em down pretty quickly!

Tom – was Tom! Great songs – great delivery – clever antics and a calmness and control of his music and his audience that was stunning to behold.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:11 pm 
Mothra

I've got recordings from the show; I'll try to figure out how to post them.

Here's a video from the beginning of the show. (Found on eyeballkid.blogspot.com)