[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Comfest 2008

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Comfest 2008
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:00 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:34 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 am 
Jet Jaguar

Yeah, I caught two songs from STARSHIP playing at the Off Ramp stage. Not really my thing, but it did bring back good memories.
I also caught about half of Red Dahlia's set and they were certainly at the top of their game on Saturday. Special thanks goes out to Felix for providing his fantastic set of drums/back-line.

Thanks to everyone at Comfest, no-one died!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:45 am 
Jet Jaguar

Thanks to the Free Comfest WiFi, I was able to post some live updates from the Offramp Stage. Unfortunately, my battery died after the third update, but I've got tons of photos, videos, and thoughts coming later.

http://thabombshelter.blogspot.com/sear ... est%202008

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:24 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:41 am 
Mechagodzilla

Los Cominos!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:09 am 
King Ghidorah

pleasant surprises:

i worked over at bozo on sunday morning and after distributing hay across the park i was entranced by vaugn weister's famous jazz orchestra. i expected to see/hear talent, but they were fantastic. it completely took my mind off of the draft beer hangover from saturday night.

did main street gospel have a sax player with them? if that was them, that was a badass set.

quicksall + the fllorwalkers = sooooo good.

disappointments:

due to a little lady tonsilectomy on thursday, we were unable to go at all on friday. so i missed two cow & "all the young dudes" being performed with the help of some not so young dudes in a gang vocal.

also, due to the tonsilectomy, i didn't see the other paper article until friday. hayseed, i hope that you just avoid the festival next year. every year or so, some one new comes along thinking that they're the che guevara of local music. they're not and you're not. you moved here from nashville and complain about the crony-ism of columbus? there is a genuine appreciation for the little guy in columbus, comm fest is proof of that wheter or not it involves you. i think you're a good dude, but you were way the f off on this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:12 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:17 am 
King Ghidorah

Pleasant Surprises:

pad thai from Nadia? sushi

1/2 pound burger (thanks to John of the Lindsay for suggesting)

Philly cheese steak (really)

Biggest Disappointments:

teriyaki chicken from Nadia? sushi (big time)

OBVIOUSLY the fishboat ruled.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:25 am 
Jet Jaguar

the fishboat is the vampire weekend of sandwiches

Post subject: Comfest Confessions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:30 am 
King Ghidorah

Now that the hippy stink is starting to dissipate, it's time to confess your dirty little comfest secrets and guilty pleasures.

1. I actually really enjoyed comfest again this year, but made sure to limit my exposure and only went at non-crowded times.

2. I talked thru every single set that I saw

3. I would rather work stage crew than perform at comfest

4. As much as I love the phrase "Fish Boat", being from the Lake Erie region I find them disgusting

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:34 am 
Godzilla

brainbow on friday night was the best thing i have ever seen in 10 years of comfests.

and hugs & kisses were amazing. seeing "casualties of happiness" sung live made my day.

thanks to everybody who volunteered and/or bought t-shirts and totes at the cmc tent too!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:40 am 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject: Re: Comfest Confessions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:42 am 
Mechagodzilla

I confess that I was there for 6.5 hours Sunday and didn't see a single band

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:43 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:49 am 
Godzilla

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:52 am 
Godzilla

Anyone else see the guy who looked like Sylvester Stalone walking around? Dude was wearing jeans hiked up to his pecs and was walking with a permanent (read: freaky ass) smile on his face.

Best thing I saw all weekend.

Except for:

2 Cow
Guinea Worms
The Lindsay (Buffalo Stance = awesome)
Sowashes

Great sets fellas.

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:05 am 
Mothra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:31 am 
King Ghidorah

My highlights:

Teenage dynamo Lydia Loveless beltin' out songs about drankin' and shooting one's father between the eyes.

Team Smile and Nod doing an acoustic set until a generator showed up at the Solar Stage Saturday morning. Kara just kept smiling.

Sean beating the crash cymbal with his crutch and then eventually hitting the deck during the Kyle Sowashes' set.

Somebody backstage held up a black shirt that read "Bass Solo" near the end of the Lindsay's set. :D

Megan Palmer and the Hopefuls killed, but white folks of a certain age (mine) really shouldn't dance in broad daylight.

Regrets:
Not seeing Two Cow, Miranda Sound, or El Jesus.

Observations:
Folks must like This is My Suitcase. I didn't see their set but their cds quickly sold out afterward.

Having a friend pouring beer makes for a very economical Friday evening happy hour.

If you're going to do a trash shift, do Friday noon to 4.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:55 am 
Jet Jaguar

giraffe n a dyslexic walk in2 a bra. waiter sez, can't enter w/o a tie. all they find r jumper cables. ask, r these okay? waiter sez, don't go starting anything! have a seat n proceed 2 get faceless drunk. giraffe falls off stool. dyslexic gets up to leave, waiter sez, you cant leave that lyin there. dyslexic sez, thats not a lion, its a giraffe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:11 pm 
Mechagodzilla

thanks to all who helped me get home alive on friday.
thanks to officer Laverne Hooks for not arresting me.
i'm glad i finally got a chance to play comfest, it was awesome.

sorry for the egocentric post. yay comfest!

http://radioactivesox.tumblr.com/

"you can call me the nannerpus, nannerpus.
guess what? i love pancakes."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:46 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:00 pm 
Mothra

We're glad you made it out alive, Antonio. I had a blast drumming with one hand tied behind my back. Thanks to all for the support! Tell Sean he owes me a new cymbol stand (it was worth it).

Miranda Sound & the Dead Sea especially ruled! (& the Randy's lured me over to the Gazebo stage w/ their western style ballads...I heard it in the distance and just HAD to see who it was...a very nice surprise).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:03 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Thanks to everyone who manned the merch booth, especially those who helped save everything during the various storms. I think we had about $6 worth of product damage total. Merch tent volunteers do it better.

I not only worked the merch tent, I also bought too much stuff:

El Jesus 7"
Necropolis 7" x 2
Teeth of the Hydra 12"
Moon High CD (deserves seperate thread)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:06 pm 
Mechagodzilla

http://radioactivesox.tumblr.com/

"you can call me the nannerpus, nannerpus.
guess what? i love pancakes."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next