[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Comfest 2008

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Comfest 2008
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:21 am 
Mothra

Loved, loved, loved Brainbow. I could have listened to them all night.

And I tried my first fishboat.

Life is good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:38 am 
Snarf

thanks to heidi for the bandana love. Brainbow... holy shit. Fern ruled too. Too many to name but thanks to the dude choir.

"Be excellent to each other"- Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:51 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:22 pm 
Godzilla

The quality is kinda beat on this one:

Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments

Info+Preview:
http://www.archive.org/details/ThomasJe ... omfest2008

Download H264 720p:
(194MB)

http://www.archive.org/download/ThomasJ ... st2008.mp4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:12 pm 
Mothra

Oof...

I can vouch for the fact that Brainbow was at LEAST as much fun to play with as it was to watch... same goes for the group-singalong-chorus of All The Young Dudes with 2Cow... I know it was early Saturday, and most people missed it, but the Whoa Nellie! set RAWKED and we were happy and sweaty... good times.

Apocalypso was all I'd hoped (thanks for the Nirvana cover!), and Ugly Stick was fuggin TRIUMPHANT. So sorry it got rained out, but I had a ball standing in the mud grinning my ass off. My pants are drying out on the shower curtain right now. We're about to head back to the park for our 1st FISHBOAT of the weekend.

Can't wait to play with Main Street Gospel and the Uke Man tomorrow. I still love ComFest more than I hate it. By a hair. A wet hair. A wet, stanky, unwashed hippy hair.

Oh, also, Lydia Loveless is my new goddess, and the vocal mic at the Offramp stage Saturday tasted like leftover beer puke. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:40 pm 
King Ghidorah

walked out of the house to head down this afternoon and it was POURING! the traditional comfest rainpour is to be expected though and i was glad that my walk was only a few minutes...

caught the end of ugly stick's set and liked it a bunch. earwig sounded great and i was glad to see you after the show for a hug, lizard! so good to see people and catch up today...one of my favorite comfest components...

miranda sound was bittersweet for me...they are in my upper echelon of columbus bands and one of the first i heard after moving here. they truly give everything they've got when they play and it shows. today was no exception...i was right down front, my ears are blown out and i'm a happy girl.

walked home a little bit ago, had a garden burger and an avocado. i know that food at comfest is part of the whole thing, but i always end up just coming home to eat.

thinking about heading back down later after a little recharge.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:05 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Well, I ditched out on today, but I got my fix on Friday. Greenlawn Abbey had enough good songs to make me look for a CD, my first time seeing them. Guinea Worms were awesome, could it be the Year of the Worm? Is that in the Chinese calender somewhere? Necropolis sounded good, another first timer, I will have to look for recordings. Slave Apartments, what can I say, the jazz version of "Bottle Island" notwithstanding, it was gratifying to see 'em rock on "Spasm". "Down to High St." gets my vote for anthem of the '90's. That was definitely a magic moment for me Friday night. Brainbow was a beautiful way to end the evening. Headache preempted seeing Horseshit at Carabar, had to crash. Really wanted to see El Jesus tonight, but I just couldn't handle waiting through the rain and storms that appeared to be coming. Almost got to see a tornado south of Kenton though. The sky was ready...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:33 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Great times on day 2:

Apocalypso -- Nirvana cover was great, Gramps on stage singing Batman FTW!
Miranda Sound -- my farewell show for them as I probably won't go to the Ravari Room show in August
More delicious food -- another fishboat, another Bahama Mama, and a gyro

I'm done with Comfest for this year since I'm staying in tomorrow to watch the Euro 2008 final between Germany and Spain.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:43 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:20 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

hugs and kisses needs to be upgraded to main stage in 09

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:35 am 
Godzilla

Sorry about the horrendous sound quality, this is mostly just to highlight The Kyle Sowashes. I really think Kyle should rename his band "Kyle Sowash and the Injured Parties."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:01 am 
Godzilla

(Sorry for the shakycam/"Cloverfield" filming style...}

A little taste of the storm from the Merch Booth, when the rain was just starting:

And then it picked up. That's Mr. Duffy telling the ladies they can stay, but with one exception:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:06 am 
Mothra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:27 am 
Mothra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:52 am 
Mechagodzilla

Best comfest evar
RIP C=Bass
333 owned it by busting that hymen with primal dances and screams
Muscle Puzzle was mega impressive and awesome, mega riff town, I didn't see it coming
UH2 lived up to the hype-awesome on fungus-how I ended up right in front I never know-adam and nutzco didnt let this old snark down with their sonic onslaught.
Bastard's MCing was tight as fuck.
Dead Sea-jeezbus, please dont be frightened by thrash warriors, when will they go on tour so I can go on tour.
El jesus-perfect end to an awesome day
Summer rulz!!11!!!

I saw a lotta yall tonight, everyone was awesome, keep on bein awesome. This town has a lot to be proud of. It truly was a farm of friendship.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:49 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:26 pm 
Godzilla

day two started with the best whoa nellie! set i've seen to date. put me in the best mood for the day. all in all though, it was kinda a bittersweet day. 333 were AMAZING, but it was their last. it was the last miranda for me as well. again, ruled, but sad. i swear i've waited 213 years to see ugly stick again, but since melissa and i were outside of the tent, by the 3rd song of getting monsooned on, we remembered "hey, don't we live across the street, with lots of towels and dry clothes and kittens and bongs and stuff?" so even more amazing but sad. heading back to our house, we were rounding up friends we passed running in the rain and told them to come to our apartment and dry off offered up dry shirts and ninja warrior repeats to everyone. two of the people we rescued from the storms ended up getting engaged during one of my emcee rants by the offramp stage (congrats to adrian X and steph!!! nice ring!) missed earwig because of the storms (and bongs) but by the time i took the emcee mic at the end of red dahlia, i swear to fuck the rock just wouldn't stop. pummelpummelpummel. and then as soon as i was done introing the jesus i hadda walk to my shift at hi5, walk behind the bar, and start serving girly drinks to columbus' fattest vampires. weak!!!

but, i got my alison rose ohio-cassette shirt i've been craving, i got to see all those folks you only get to see at comfest, i got to prove once again why i SHOULDN'T be allowed to have a mic at the 'fest, i got to see bovee with steel drums backing him, got to do mid-day diana ross style costume changes, and fell in love with comfest all over again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:36 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Kyle Sowashes, Ugly Stick and Miranda Sound (pre-reunion) all ruled.
If anyone here knows of someone who shot video after the rain (or of the rain), in the Off Ramp tent during Earwig's set, please PM me. I think that the video that was set up by the sound board got taken down before Earwig hit the stage. If there's any footage floating around of Earwig's set, I'd love to get a copy. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:11 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:15 pm 
Godzilla

Brainbow.

Part1
http://www.archive.org/download/Brainbo ... _part1.mp4
(188 MB)

Preview/info
http://www.archive.org/details/Brainbow ... 2008_part1

Part2
http://www.archive.org/download/Brainbo ... _part2.mp4
(177 MB)

Preview/info
http://www.archive.org/details/Brainbow ... 2008_part2

Part3
http://www.archive.org/download/Brainbo ... _part3.mp4
(74 MB)

Preview/info
http://www.archive.org/details/Brainbow ... 2008_part3

Part4
http://www.archive.org/download/Brainbo ... _part4.mp4
(213MB)

Preview/info
http://www.archive.org/details/Brainbow_comfest_part4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:14 pm 
Snarf

Muscle Puzzle Rules Forever

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:38 pm 
King Ghidorah

black47 blew my mind. A frathouse band with kenny g saxin' and 311 raps. I watched their last three songs from afar with my jaw on the ground. So this is why I never go to the Dublin Irish Festival. Well I went when Richard Thompson played. How about him for Comfest next year if they decide to keep having ringers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:51 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

one more day one more day one more day one more day one more day

4 days in 09

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:01 pm 
Mothra

I didn't go. I worked Friday, didn't want to get soaked during the day Saturday and I had gigs Friday and Saturday nights. I was out of town on Sunday. But my son went. His first time.

His first frustration was parking. A total lack of signs. Unorganized traffic. People jay walking in front of moving cars (my son has been driving for 1 year and several people walked right out in front of him.

Essentially, people were acting like assholes.

Finally he gave up and found his way to a Nationwide garage and was able to park without having to dodge assholes.

He made his way to Comfest, met up with friends, heard some amateurish crap and then made his way to the jazz stage where he listened to Pete Mills and Tony Monaco kick all kinds of ass. Ultimately he had a good time. Didn't see any boobs. Didn't smoke dope. Didn't drink. Ignored the obnoxious drunks and stoners. He had a good time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:08 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Well, despite all the rumors to the contrary, Starship DID show up and rocked out on the Off-Ramp Stage. Definitely THE BEST PERFORMANCE OF COMFEST 2008. I was able to capture a bit of "We Built This City" on my camera (the battery ran out after about a minute-and-a-half ... sorry about that).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next