[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Comfest Pre-Festival Discussion (TWO MERGED TOPICS)

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Columbus Musicians for Comfest
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:51 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:03 pm 
Godzilla

just reduce ur fee man

or volunteer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:13 pm 
Mothra

maybe he could try to catch on as a roadie for michelle shocked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:20 pm 
Jet Jaguar

As a band that has members that not only volunteer at the fest and host annual community events I find this thread extremely important. Every year people vent their displeasure that the "band selection committee" works very hard to disseminate who gets to play and who doesn't. Where as we pulled a hat trick the last couple years, I was less than shocked that we did not garner an invite. But that flat, false, form letter that was mailed was as if a back-handed slap had extended out from my computer screen. A slightly more undignified response than supposed 'confirmation rumors' that came out of multiple committee members mouths in previous weeks. As someone whose schedule has freed up completely (I did have a gig with the Columbus Symphony), I do empathize with musicians that put their month of June on hold awaiting a PROPER and PROFESSIONAL response from Comfest. I hope the snarky nit-picking and elitist selection process both evolve into a more transparent process for the sake of the reputation of the festival and the reputation of members like you, Heidi, that obviously have no empathy as demonstrated in your above response. Let me be very clear about my adoration for the festival, for it's continual evolution and my sincere gratitude for past performances and all the volunteers who work so hard for its success. See you in the park and I hope the bumper stickers are a hit!

-Drew (MORS)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:50 am 
Donewaiting Comfest Commitee Liaison

The Comfest is very selective over the volunteers that they accept. This is a partial list of who they are looking for as volunteers.

*Vigilante (The Comfest provides the mask- you damage it- you buy it)
*Adult male Juggalo (The Comfest will paint your face and braid your hair)
*Adult female Juggalo
*Person of questionable sex (The Comfest cannot help you here)
*13-year-old on acid for the first time ( The Comfest provides the acid)
*Corpse (The Comfest is not to be held responsible for this)
*Person(s) who should not be naked for any reason
*Mr/ Ms/ Mrs Bad Tattoo (Usually too many applicants here)
*Mr/Ms of questionable age (no r. kelly-ing it) aka jailbait
*Narc (There are many Narcs at The Comfest)
*Recent divorcee trying too hard (ditto)
*(G)ravers (actually The Comfest tries to keep them away)
*Conjoined twins
*Person Who Bought The New Alanis Morissette (The Comfest can't find you)
*Person(s) suffering from heatstroke
*Person(s) trying to get testicles painted like those titties (Any takers?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:45 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:07 am 
Mechagodzilla

crying about not playing Comfest...that's the best! That letter seems odd, I'd be interested to see it.

Some of you (or one) really think you have some licorice flavored shit don't ya?! :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:08 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:13 am 
Godzilla

I completely agree, that email was brutal. I was under the impression that the content from the flier, which is what I posted to start this thread was what was going to be emailed only. Never saw the email until a musician emailed it to me. I am sorry that people were offended by it, I am too. Whether you got in or not, it really was inappropriate.

This whole idea was started by a local musician who spent a lot of time volunteering last year, who was hoping to encourage other musicians to volunteer as well.

I stand by the original concept. It was just handled poorly.

As far as the "process" and transparency goes, anyone can join any committee.

For the record, I also told them the bumper sticker idea was lame and they should go with free booze.

For the record (2), I believe that playing is volunteering too.

For the record (3), volunteering does increase your chances of playing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:36 am 
King Ghidorah

Last edited by Hayseed on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:43 am 
King Ghidorah

I applied a couple of months ago to perform at this year's ComFest. I never received an acknowledgement of receipt of my application nor did I receive any correspondence informing me of my inclusion or exclusion from this year's list of performers. Instead, I got the following letter which tells me that if I haven't been told I'm performing, I'm not - BUT I can volunteer and I can "mention" that on my application next year!

"Ask not what the Community Festival can do for you. Ask what you you can do for the Community Festival." For nearly four decades, the Community Festival has provided Columbus musicians with a stage to share their talents with their community. As our capacity to showcase musical acts has grown from one stage in 1972 to six in 2006, so has our need for volunteers. Please join us Thursday, June 12th for happy hour ,5-9PM, at The Carabar, 115 Parsons Ave., for an informal meeting about how you and your band can help Community Festival survive and thrive.

One of Columbus' most unique bands, Couch Forts, will provide entertainment.

The first 100 musicians that volunteer to work Comfest will receive a "Columbus Musicians For Comfest" bumper sticker! If you are already a musician who has volunteered, you can get one also. See attached.

By the way, if you haven't been confirmed to perform at Comfest 2008, that means we weren't able to schedule your act. The full schedule should come out early next week at comfest,com. We apologize for how long it always takes us to get that out. Scheduling and confirming over 200 acts is a tough job. We thank all of you who applied and if you didn't get in we hope you will still consider volunteering to help out. If you do, it will be something you can mention on next year's application. If you have any questions about the process we go through to make the decisions, you can get some answers at this event.

For the record, I added the emphasis on the callous "by the way..." notice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:57 am 
Godzilla

Dude, if it were based on merit, Comfest would consist of 4 bands playing on Friday afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:04 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:27 am 
Mothra

I decided to see what all the fuss was about. late last night I emailed, and my band, my bloody valentine, has already been slotted...plus, all the feces we can eat.

should be neat!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:34 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:37 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:45 am 
Godzilla

Post subject: Re: Comfest band list.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:47 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:50 am 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:55 am 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

Last edited by Cookie on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:56 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:58 am 
Mechagodzilla

HULK SMASH PUNY COMFEST

http://radioactivesox.tumblr.com/

"you can call me the nannerpus, nannerpus.
guess what? i love pancakes."

Post subject: Re: Comfest band list.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:58 am 
Godzilla

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next