[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Help me stop paying for cable please!

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me stop paying for cable please!
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:45 am 
Mechagodzilla

would really like to cancel my cable; however I still do want to be able to watch certain shows. I'll list the technology currently at my disposal and possibly you could help me figure a way to get around the cable and sattellite monster:

obviously I have a tv, it is HD and has HDMI to RCA inputs
PS3
Wii
xBox 360
Wireless router and internet (obviously)

I'd like to keep my internet and be able to watch some programs on it but I don't want to have to watch shows on my 15" monitor. I'd really love to find a way to watch the internet on my t.v..

Shows I'd like to still watch:
Dexter
Modern Family
Parks and Rec
Glee
kids shows like:
Chowder
FlapJack
iCarley
etc...

Can anyone offer any help. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Help me stop paying for cable please!
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:52 am 
King Ghidorah

I use TVersity on the xbox to watch movies and videos I have downloaded. I'm pretty sure you can stream stuff from Hulu and Youtube as well..
http://tversity.com/

and then there is Boxee, but I never took the time to really learn how to use it
http://www.boxee.tv/

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 am 
Godzilla

my dvd player has a usb port on the front so i just bittorrent tv shows and put them on a jump drive

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:16 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:29 am 
King Ghidorah

jump drive=that little memory device thingy that you put on your keychain. But make sure you get one with at least 2 gigs of memory.(1 movie is usually about 1 gig of memory)

you need a bitorrent client to download the torrents
http://www.utorrent.com/

search for torrents here, there are many different sites here to choose from. Just remember that when searching for tv shows alot of times they are labeled like this=Dexter S01 E3 or something similar. Movies/Music you can just search by their title.
www.torrentscan.com

The only thing I am not sure of is what type of files this dvd player plays so you might have to convert files if they are not supported by the dvd player formats.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:38 am 
Mothra

you can get netflix on your Wii now

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:11 pm 
Godzilla

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:17 pm 
Godzilla

at this point, my biggest tie to keeping cable is i'm not really sure i could live without daily show, colbert & attack of the show. i think i can have workarounds for anything else or wait for dvds.

well, that'll be true after lost is done, at least . . .

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm 
Godzilla

I got rid of my cable TV and am glad I did. I watch Lost on Hulu, although it kind of sucks cause it gets pretty skippy, and everything else on DVD/Netflix or a friend's house if I really want to see it.

But seriously, I tend to get a lot more done.

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:42 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:40 pm 
Mothra

You can still get Modern Family, Parks and Rec, and Glee with the old rabbit ears. You can have my old antenna and converter box. I recently re-joined team cable after almost 10 (perfectly content) years without… I blame Skot.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:33 pm 
Mothra

I stream all of my files using tversity on the ps3. Other times I will place the files on a flash drive and play them on the ps3 that way.