blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:17 pm 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/ ... -issue.ars

Quote:
A reader indicated to us via e-mail that Apple may be using digitally adjustable solid state capacitors to tune the iPhone 4's antennas, which would make a software fix possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 pm 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
"Steve Jobs emails a customer" is the new linkbait.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/07/ ... -problems/

OH WAIT... it's fake.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/07/01/ ... is-a-fake/

Quote:
The conversation was published Thursday by The Boy Genius Report and linked to by more than three dozen other sites. In it, a writer pretending to be Apple's CEO tries several times to mollify a customer called "Tom" who is furious about the iPhone 4's widely reported signal attenuation problem. In separate e-mail messages Jobs purportedly tells "Tom," who grows angrier with each exchange.


http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/01/app ... e-is-fake/

Quote:
Adding further doubt to the motivation behind the original email poster, AppleInsider reports that the emailer had shopped the story around to several sites. It's not clear if BGR paid for the the rights to publish the story.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:48 am 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
It's software. From Apple:
Quote:
Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don't know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&T's recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone's bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.


http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/appl ... ix-coming/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:56 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:26 pm
Posts: 11658
Location: Park Slope
Jawbreaker wrote:
It's software. From Apple:
Quote:
Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don't know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&T's recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone's bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.


http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/appl ... ix-coming/


to me that seems like it's just being more accurate on the bar display, not dealing with dropped calls, data slowdown, etc... so this seems to be a different issue??

_________________
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:08 am 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
robertduffy wrote:
Jawbreaker wrote:
It's software. From Apple:
Quote:
Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don't know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&T's recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone's bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.


http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/appl ... ix-coming/


to me that seems like it's just being more accurate on the bar display, not dealing with dropped calls, data slowdown, etc... so this seems to be a different issue??


Yeah that's the whole point- there isn't a dropped calls issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:31 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:26 pm
Posts: 11658
Location: Park Slope
I think saying there's not a dropped call issue is as much of an exageration of people who are going overboard about the issue..

also
http://daringfireball.net/2010/07/translation_iphone_4

_________________
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:00 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:26 pm
Posts: 7648
Location: Columbus
Jawbreaker wrote:
Yeah that's the whole point- there isn't a dropped calls issue.


even if the software is displaying the wrong number of bars, it doesn't explain the fact the the number of bars decreases under the lefty condition.

seems like the most rudimentary of experiments could answer this. left-palm it, watch the bars go down, and see if you can still call or video-chat or whatever.

_________________
This place is like the fair, only it cost a dollar to get in and the rides are junked cars.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:37 pm 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
groundrules wrote:
Jawbreaker wrote:
Yeah that's the whole point- there isn't a dropped calls issue.


even if the software is displaying the wrong number of bars, it doesn't explain the fact the the number of bars decreases under the lefty condition.

seems like the most rudimentary of experiments could answer this. left-palm it, watch the bars go down, and see if you can still call or video-chat or whatever.



Obscuring the antenna causes the signal to drop, which is a cell phone issue, not an iPhone issue. (See the Anandtech article)

Quote:
"the iPhone 4 did show a greater dropoff in signal strength in every holding position compared to the iPhone 3GS."


Quote:
"However. . . the iPhone 4’s reception is definitely better in low-signal situations than the other two phones."


Quote:
“Reception is absolutely definitely improved,” AnandTech wrote. "There’s no doubt in my mind this iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet, even though measured signal is lower than the 3GS."


Net, real-world, antenna performance (and up/down speed, btw) has been improved.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:38 pm 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
robertduffy wrote:
I think saying there's not a dropped call issue is as much of an exageration of people who are going overboard about the issue..

also
http://daringfireball.net/2010/07/translation_iphone_4


There's always been a dropped call issue *cough ATT* :>

What's happening is that people are correlating several different discrete issues, and it's being exacerbated by Apple's signal-bar shenanigans.


Last edited by Jawbreaker on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:40 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:26 pm
Posts: 7648
Location: Columbus
Jawbreaker wrote:
Obscuring the antenna causes the signal to drop, which is a cell phone issue, not an iPhone issue. (See the Anandtech article)


but if you design your phone so that the antenna is particularly susceptible to being bridged/shorted, then it kinda becomes a model-specific issue. I mean, maybe they shoulda stuck some rabbit ears on it.

_________________
This place is like the fair, only it cost a dollar to get in and the rides are junked cars.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:46 pm 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
groundrules wrote:
susceptible to being bridged/shorted


This has totally NOT been proven, btw.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:04 pm 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
I'm goin to Surly right now to Drink for America™, yall should stop by and I'll buy u a beer and you can make fun of my iPhone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:37 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:26 pm
Posts: 7648
Location: Columbus
Jawbreaker wrote:
groundrules wrote:
susceptible to being bridged/shorted


This has totally NOT been proven, btw.


okay, sub 'bridged/shorted' for 'susceptible to something weird happening when you hold it in your left hand'.

I just wanna get one of these things and play with these the variables. none of this should be hard to figure out.

_________________
This place is like the fair, only it cost a dollar to get in and the rides are junked cars.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:38 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:26 pm
Posts: 7648
Location: Columbus
Jawbreaker wrote:
I'm goin to Surly right now to Drink for America™, yall should stop by and I'll buy u a beer and you can make fun of my iPhone.


oops, posting time lag. see above. I'm not making fun it. Hell, I want one. I'm just suggesting that thing isn't flawless.

_________________
This place is like the fair, only it cost a dollar to get in and the rides are junked cars.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:14 am 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
iPhone 4's supposed signal woes aren’t unique, and may not be serious

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electr ... ms-in.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:36 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:26 pm
Posts: 11658
Location: Park Slope
heh.

i am apple 4 life.

when i get this phone and it has the problem, it will be a problem i didnt have with my current 3G. not unique, okay, still a problem though.

it wont stop me from buying it but it's an issue.

for me, obviiously not a dealbreaker, but it's an issue.

_________________
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:53 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:26 pm
Posts: 11658
Location: Park Slope
Jawbreaker wrote:
iPhone 4's supposed signal woes aren’t unique, and may not be serious

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electr ... ms-in.html


and they updated their story


Quote:
While we’ve been unable to date to create the reported conditions in our National Testing Center in Yonkers, New York, I and a colleague did repeatedly experience loss of signal when using an iPhone 4 a few miles north of there today.

While in my home, I held the iPhone in my left hand, gripping it with normal pressure. My palm covered a gap between parts of the metal band that forms the outer ring of the iPhone and serves as its antenna. As I did so, I moved my pinky finger to the corresponding gap on the other side.

Almost immediately, the signal strength began to drop in the meter from the original three or four bars — depending on my location within the house — to zero bars. The drop took about 5 seconds.

_________________
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:33 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:26 pm
Posts: 11658
Location: Park Slope
Jawbreaker wrote:
iPhone 4's supposed signal woes aren’t unique, and may not be serious

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electr ... ms-in.html


uh ohhhhh

Lab tests: Why Consumer Reports can't recommend the iPhone 4
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electr ... k-gsm.html

but i still want to buy one next month, so i am stupid

_________________
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:06 am 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
Not only have I not had a single dropped call, but I've been unable to make it drop a call with the Death Grip, with both hands completely covering the supposedly affected area as tightly as I could.

I have witnessed the proximity sensor issue, though.

Either way, Apple is really handling this poorly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:07 pm 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
http://www.eddale.co/general/on-recepti ... -conundrum

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/13/yes- ... ot-broken/

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2010 ... he-market/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:04 pm 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
Press event Friday.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/07/14/a ... on-friday/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:55 pm 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
The iPhone 4 Redux: Analyzing Apple's iOS 4.0.1 Signal Fix & Antenna Issue
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/ipho ... signal-fix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:33 am 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/0 ... ended-list

http://daringfireball.net/misc/2010/07/ ... hones.text
Quote:
I’d link directly to Consumer Reports’s web page for this list, but can’t, because it’s behind a paywall that their coverage of the iPhone 4 antenna is not.


Gee, I wonder why?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:10 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:26 pm
Posts: 7648
Location: Columbus
what, no comments about the free iStrap-On they're giving away to cover up the antenna?

_________________
This place is like the fair, only it cost a dollar to get in and the rides are junked cars.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Apple's iPhone 4 is revealed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:36 pm 
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 pm
Posts: 6351
groundrules wrote:
what, no comments about the free iStrap-On they're giving away to cover up the antenna?


I have one. Haven't really noticed any difference in performance, though I do feel better about it being a little better protected. It's actually pretty nice, though it's not even close to being $29 nice.

They are offering free cases, as well, not just the bumpers. won't know which until later this week.

Some additional reading:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/07/19/ap ... piling-on/

http://www.mondaynote.com/2010/07/18/an ... eature-it/

If you haven't read it yet, this is a pretty fascinating look at the ATT-Apple relationship
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/07/ff_att_fail/


Why isn't Palm/HTC/Verizon handing out cases?

Palm Pre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zft3-Lwh2bo

Nexus One
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/nexu ... esign-pro/

Droid Incredible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4zbQ3f7H0U

HTC Droid Eris User Manual (page 13)
http://member.america.htc.com/download/ ... M_11_5.pdf

http://dontholditwrong.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group






Buy a Premium BlogAd