[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - What are you reading 2010?

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are you reading 2010?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:51 pm 
Godzilla

I'm in the middle of David Mitchell's Ghostwritten and I love it. I picked this up after reading Black Swan Green and Cloud Atlas and loving both. Guy's got some really cool ideas, can turn a mean phrase the way few can, and has some interesting ways of deconstructing a narrative.

Anyone else read these or anything by him? Next on deck is Number Nine Dream (also by Mitchell) and Geek Love.

I've also been reading some good non-fiction books. Just finished The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow and loved it, and am now on How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer. The first one is all about randomness, statistics, and other related things, the second about what it sounds like it's about. Both good reads.

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

Last edited by unpossibles on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What are you reading 2010?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:23 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

i read Cloud Atlas and enjoyed it, although it didn't change my life. Geek Love, however is probably in my top 20, all-time.

Coal Black Horse by Robert Olmstead is on deck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:25 pm 
Mothra

Currently:

Dune
American Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:38 pm 
Mothra

I read How We Decide not too long ago and loved it. The last really good fiction I read was Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill. I just started Lenny Bruce is Dead by Jonathan Goldstein, but I'm having trouble getting into it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Please kIll Me. Not sure how I avoided this for so long. Although LOTS of this is in other books. Musta used the same interviews. Especially the Iggy stuff. Whatta buncha scumbags. In general, I mean. I guess I just don't share the reverence for those times that some people have. Maybe that was their point though? Good that somebody recorded it all. Every scene should have that. Helps to know facts, mystery leads to too much hero worship. It's interesting to see just what exactly WAS produced by any given scene. What of worth, that will be listened to later on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:28 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:55 pm 
King Ghidorah

Geek Love....what a fucked up read.

Just finished Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis. Eh. I remember my undergrad days when I thought Glamorama and Rules of Attraction were the greatest books ever.

I don't Lunar Park comes close.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 am 
Godzilla

Wheel o' Time, Book 6: Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan. Fantasy or not, I'm fascinated by the richness of the character studies in this series. Plus, there's magic and stuff. :oops:

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:04 pm 
King Ghidorah

wasn't sure where else to put this but this craigslist ad is funny as hell.
http://semo.craigslist.org/cto/1672654758.html

Just started reading Last Call by Tim Powers today. Hope its good. A friend recommended it. You probably read this in high school. i read slow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:53 pm 
Godzilla

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:27 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

just finished new Eggers book:

Totally inspiring and heartbreaking.

after visiting Washington DC last week I was moved to pick up some historical nonfiction:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:18 pm 
Godzilla

Learning a little about my new city.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:25 pm 
Godzilla

awesome cover art.

- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:09 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:31 pm 
Godzilla

lords fucking rules.

not enough to make me actually listen to that shit (although almost EVERYONE else i know that read it went on a norwaydeath trip afterwards) but still a damn fine read nonetheless.

and i STILL want one of those burzum zippo-lighters with the picture of the fantoft church burning on it . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:42 am 
Godzilla

Went to C2E2 in chicago last weekend and picked up the entire run of the vertigo Lucifer series in TPB for $75 so I'm starting on that. And I also picked up both serenity comics and the 2nd book of frank beddor's looking glass wars series.

Also got the crossed hardcover signed by garth ennis and jacen burrows. Forgot to bring any preacher books with me for him to sign though.

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:42 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Just finished Sam Cutler's new autobiography, You Can't Always Get What You Want. When I searched it on Amazon, 3 out of 5 reviewers called it "a book you can't put down." They were right. His insiders' version of Altamont reveals a LOT of new information. Even creepier and more chilling than we all thought. Wait til you read about the yellow pills. Although he makes the murder of Meredith Hunter sound like one speed dealer killing another, rather than the " innocent rock fan being offed for offending the Hells' Angels/ritual human sacrifice" version we've heard for years. After Altamont, he became the Grateful Dead's tour manager. I'm not much of a Dead fan, but it was interesting to read about the inner workings of the Dead "family". A must-read if you're into this shit.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:00 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:14 am 
Godzilla

Pearl S Buck, House Of Earth Trilogy..in a 2nd edition hardcover from the '30's..

1) The Good Earth
2) Sons
3) A House Divided

Plus just found the companion book, ie the 4th volume, The Mother.

I've loved her writing since I first read The Good earth when I was 14..

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:49 am 
Mothra

"Doctor Who: The Art of Distruction" by Stephen Cole