[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - 72 Hours in NYC

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 72 Hours in NYC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:54 am 
King Ghidorah

and what would you do?

I've never been. But going. Gonna check out a band at the Bowery one night and then hit up that Grateful Dead exhibit at the AMNH at some point. The worst part is that I'm driving.

Post subject: Re: 72 Hours in NYC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:31 pm 
Godzilla

I'd love to go see the Mark Ryden exhibit at Paul Kasmin Gallery. Don't think it starts until the end of april though.

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:42 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:07 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:09 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:47 am 
Jet Jaguar

see if Phish is in town.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:44 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 am 
Godzilla

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:34 pm 
Godzilla

actually, the trip out is not that bad this time of year. 70 takes you through the PA mts which is pretty incredible in late April early May.

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:57 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:55 am 
Godzilla

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:39 pm 
Godzilla

You can go upstate and use 90 too, which is much more scenic and not really much longer at all, on the way back. I've never minded the trip, but, I like road trips. They make for better stories. Driving to NOLA doesn't bother me. If you don't make a bunch of stops you can make it to NYC in 9 hours. Not so bad. If you get a chance just hang out in a neighborhood where a friend lives and do what they like to do for a day. They'll show you the best bars and restaurants and record stores in the area. It's always much better than running around to see a bunch of sight-seeing crap that people waste their time looking at just to say they did it. We had a free apartment for a few days that looked over ground zero, about 7 months after 911, and all these freaking out-of-state zombies would stop to ask you how to get to ground zero and we were like, "Really? You want to get a look at an empty lot of land and one lone bulldozer?- The aftermath of the carnage?" Sick fu#$ers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:36 am 
Godzilla

If you hang out with me, I'll totally take you to the tourist sight-seeing crap because that's what I love to do.

If it weren't so expensive, I'd go to the top of the Empire State Building once a week.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:03 am 
King Ghidorah

My relatives live near Gettysburg so I am used to the drive. We are stopping in Lancaster, Pa to chill for the night with my "cuz", as they would say. fucking cuz and yinzers and stillers. Hopefully he doesnt take us to the gayest bar possible like last time when I witnessed a rather disturbing Crystal Waters set. omg, my wife and I were :shock: :lol: It was sweaty.

I feel like this is some sorta Nick and Norah's (Bobcat and Becky's) experience with so much to do in so little time. (yeah, not that great of a movie, and probably a horrible comparison.) I have to check out the Statue of Liberty and go to the top of the Empire State Building . I hope to take my roller skates so that I can really show those locals at Central Park how its done. recognize.

A friend lives on the upper west side and plans to give us a time of our lives on Saturday. She is skinny so she will probably walk faster than me. I was supposed to go visit her 10 years ago when I was in college, lets just say that someone got sooo wasted that they slept in and missed the bus for choir tour. oops. She's probably gonna bring that up over dinner :doh: And yes, I said choir, I'm a bad-ass.

I know I won't get to see it all in such a short time so next time I hope to spend more time to be able to check out the Buroughs or Jersey. I would love to see some fist-pumpin battling. untz.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:12 pm 
Godzilla

So when are you going to be here again?

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:10 pm 
King Ghidorah

This weekend.
Shits going down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:39 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:48 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:28 pm 
Godzilla

What kind of food do you like? If you like Thai and want to stay in Manhattan, hit up Holy Basil on 2nd ave between 9th and 10th. It's not far from the Bowery Ballroom either, and is really yummy. If you're feeling adventurous and want the best Thai food I've ever eaten, head over to Queens and check out but as a lover of some super hot food, I warn you: get the medium. They do NOT dumb it down there at all. Holy Basil I usually tell them to make it spicier, and it's still sometimes not that hot depending.

If you want Chinese or Italian there are tons of options in the area, some better than others, but you can usually do all right just blindly choosing something, although it can be hit or miss: don't go into the empty places. There's a good pizza joint next to Banjo Jim's on Ave C and 9th, but I forget the name. Best pizza I've had is in lower Brooklyn on the way to Coney Island off the Q ( on Ave J).

There are some good places in the West Village - I like Red Bamboo, which is fancy-ish vegetarian pan-Asian/soul food fusion (W 4th st near 6th Ave). Good stuff and definitely a unique dining experience.

I've heard Two Boots pizza is good, but have not had it. There're a shit ton of things down in the Bowery, but honestly some of the better ones are on the side streets. If you want French/seafood, check out on Spring and Broadway, but be prepared to drop some cash.

- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:34 pm 
Mechagodzilla

If you plan on hitting any other museums besides the NY Historical Society (which isn't that special but you should check out the Dead exhibit - I've been meaning to go myself) you should go here first:

http://gonyc.about.com/cs/museums/a/museumdeals.htm

Also, if you plan on using the subway any given day buy the all day pass, which is 8 bucks for unlimited, the equivalent of 4 rides.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 pm 
Godzilla

Italian =

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:36 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:35 pm 
Godzilla

If you go through one of the floor-to-ceiling turnstiles in the subway, after you swipe your Metrocard, walk forward into the turnstile, then push. Do not grab the turnstile with your left hand and pull it around before entering. You'll lose your ride.

I've seen a ton of people lose rides this way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:38 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

okay, these suggestions are all fine, but here is the only one you need.

before or after you go to NY historical society, walk one block to http://shakeshack.com/

while you are walking there, look at second floor, 10th window from the left on the american museum of natural history, and you may see me working.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 am 
Jet Jaguar

how was the Phish concert??